Make up geeks, question re: lipstick

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkfairy

Reaction score
Morning all,
I'm just sat thinking about a few make ups I have coming up. I had a trial with a lady yesterday and we used a certain lipstick which is quite a distinctive colour so not sure she would be able to get a match with a different brand. So it had me wondering how i could give her a small amount of the lipstick to take to the wedding that she's attending.
I'm thinking of decanting a tiny bit into into some kind of container but not sure what.

What do the rest of you do? I can't afford to give away lipsticks and if I factored it into the price my clients wouldn't pay it.

It's not a terribly long lasting lipstick, perhaps if I used the Lipcote sealing liquid, would this help?

Thanks in advance x

Morning all,
I'm just sat thinking about a few make ups I have coming up. I had a trial with a lady yesterday and we used a certain lipstick which is quite a distinctive colour so not sure she would be able to get a match with a different brand. So it had me wondering how i could give her a small amount of the lipstick to take to the wedding that she's attending.
I'm thinking of decanting a tiny bit into into some kind of container but not sure what.

What do the rest of you do? I can't afford to give away lipsticks and if I factored it into the price my clients wouldn't pay it.

It's not a terribly long lasting lipstick, perhaps if I used the Lipcote sealing liquid, would this help?

Thanks in advance x

You could always buy a little tablet box cheap from the chemist and pop a bit in that I'm sure she'd have a lip brush or tell her to buy one, or if your really desperate and don't want to buy nothing wrap a little in foil (very securely don't want it spread all over her wedding bag) and she could keep it in her bag x

You could always buy a little tablet box cheap from the chemist and pop a bit in that I'm sure she'd have a lip brush or tell her to buy one, or if your really desperate and don't want to buy nothing wrap a little in foil (very securely don't want it spread all over her wedding bag) and she could keep it in her bag x

I was actually thinking of putting a little amount in a bit of foil and giving her a lip brush, so I'm glad you've suggested it too :) x

Why don't you retail one to her! At the trial I would have told her 'I can order a lipstick for you so that you have the exact shade to touch up during the day. If you want one it is £xx' If she finds its too expensive then she can use whatever she has to hand.

I would not chop up my pro products like that, they cost enough as it is!

Obviously if it is a discontinued shade or something like that then you might want to consider giving her some. But otherwise I wouldn't.

Air x

Sanitise the lipstick you have & decant some into a 5g plastic pot? :)

Why don't you retail one to her! At the trial I would have told her 'I can order a lipstick for you so that you have the exact shade to touch up during the day. If you want one it is £xx' If she finds its too expensive then she can use whatever she has to hand.

Obviously if it is a discontinued shade or something like that then you might want to consider giving her some. But otherwise I wouldn't.

Air x
I know she wouldn't buy the lipstick, I have told her where to get it if she wants it herself though.
I was just wondering really what everyone else does, I know I could retail them and if they have a trial then it's easy enough to order one for the next appointment, but if they don't have a trial then what do you do? Obviously I can't afford to be buying multiples of all my lipsticks, my partner would kill me lol

Thanks everyone for your replies x

When I apply lipstick to a client I use a disposable spatula & disposable lip brush. I cut a bit off my lipstick with the spatula to apply to the client. When done there should be a bit left on the spatula to give to the client. I wrap that and the lip brush in a tissue, pop a rubber band around and give to the client to keep for touch ups.

I don't have a problem cutting up my lipsticks because I never apply them straight from the tube anyway, I always use disposables.

When I apply lipstick to a client I use a disposable spatula & disposable lip brush. I cut a bit off my lipstick with the spatula to apply to the client. When done there should be a bit left on the spatula to give to the client. I wrap that and the lip brush in a tissue, pop a rubber band around and give to the client to keep for touch ups.

I don't have a problem cutting up my lipsticks because I never apply them straight from the tube anyway, I always use disposables.

That's a perfect solution thank you! This is what I do with my lipsticks to, though I rub it on the back of my hand and apply from there with a disposable lip brush.

Air x

This is what I would do too. It is exactly what the makeup artists I have used in he past for special events and ones I know now do too. I think its would make the bride feel a whole lot more 'special' on the day... but saying that getting married is an expensive time and if she cannot budget for a lippy then the other suggestions sound good too x

I just give the bride a small sample in a clear screw top jar and nice new purse size retractable lip brush for her to use if it's a pro brand.

if it's a discounted brand I will try and retail a full size lipstick in her chosen colour to her rather than give a sample.

I just give the bride a small sample in a clear screw top jar and nice new purse size retractable lip brush for her to use if it's a pro brand.

if it's a discounted brand I will try and retail a full size lipstick in her chosen colour to her rather than give a sample.

Yes it's a pro product, so I definitely won't be giving it to her lol x

This is what I would do too. It is exactly what the makeup artists I have used in he past for special events and ones I know now do too. I think its would make the bride feel a whole lot more 'special' on the day... but saying that getting married is an expensive time and if she cannot budget for a lippy then the other suggestions sound good too x

In this instance, the client is not the bride, she is a guest. As I explained I don't retail pro products simply as I can't afford to buy them in incase I use a lipstick that someone wants to then buy, if you get me?
Obviously if there is a trial beforehand then this can be agreed that I can get the lipstick for the client to buy from me but it's not always feasible.
X

Your client has 3 options here pink:

1) She buys her self a full size lipstick in her chosen colour that you used in the trial from the retailer directly or via you ( make sure u get the money up front including p&p)

2) She graciously excepts a sample size of the colour she chose in the trial in a pot with a lip brush.

3) she provides own from home.

These are the options I give my clients before the trial and have no problems.

Do not give away free lipsticks as she might really be able to afford it really and just wants a freebie.

Just give her the 3 options and let her chose!

After reading this thread I think I found the answer whilst out shopping yesterday. I found some empty plastic paint pots (the small ones that kids have) in a shop called The Works for 99p you get about 10 pots. They are perfect for decanting the lipstick into and just provide a disposable lip brush. Im sure they will have some on ebay if you don't have that shop locally.

Personally I retail the lipstick to the bride and a gloss for the evening reception, but there are always some instances where they don't want to buy the lipstick.

Thanks everyone for your replies, you've all been really helpful :)

I'm going to have a wee look tomorrow to see what I can find in town otherwise I'll just give a tiny bit in a piece of foil with a lip brush.
After all this my client will probably walk in with a lippie from home lol x

Latest posts

Back