Make-up kit

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snyggiss

Reaction score
Hiya
Im starting my NVQ2 soon and there was an option to purchase a make up kit from the school on enrollment (although they provide all products but it would be for personal use) and I decided not to purchase this, it was 150 pounds or something. So my question is, what sort of make up kit would u recommend and how much money do I need to spend on it and where would I go in order to buy it? Just the local cosmetic shop or? I use bare minerals myself but its quite expencive. Im not even sure how much make up one does after their NVQs?? sorry if it is a silly question but I just dont have a clue. What has everyone else done? thanks

I would be interested in finding this out too.

I had the Make-up kit when I did my NVQ 2 but I sold it on as I thought it was rather cheap generic make-up and I didn't like it at all.

I haven't replaced it yet, but would love to offer make-up services to my clients.

I use Lily Lolo make-up, it's great x

I use Graftobain, RCMA & Grimas

My kit is made up of all sorts of everything! Kryolan, Graftobian, La Femme, Lancome, BBrown, Mac, Dior, Art Deco and even some MUA eye shadows (pigment is great!).

You can spend as much as you can afford, but none of it comes cheap so if you don't know if you're going to be doing make up after your NVQ don't go too mad on colour range!

thanks for the suggestions! Ive heard lilo lolo b eing mentioned a lot as a cheaper alternative to Bare minerals so will look it up as well as the others you guys have mentioned!ta!! I think perhaps I will wait until Ive started the course before purchasing... ! thanks for the replies

I would only buy expensive make-up kit if you are planning to offer/do make-up after you have trained.
My level 2 also included make-up application, however I knew I am never really going to be doing much make-up. I purchased a make-up kit from Fero beauty which has got a wide range of make-up. I just looked on their website and the price is 98pounds.
It was good enough to use it at college and practise at home with it. However, I never used it since college so I am glad I never spent an awful lot of money for it.

I would only buy expensive make-up kit if you are planning to offer/do make-up after you have trained.
My level 2 also included make-up application, however I knew I am never really going to be doing much make-up. I purchased a make-up kit from Fero beauty which has got a wide range of make-up. I just looked on their website and the price is 98pounds.
It was good enough to use it at college and practise at home with it. However, I never used it since college so I am glad I never spent an awful lot of money for it.

Thanks Andrea, Thats really helpful to know. I think I wil just use the make up they provide at the school.. I am not sure now if Ill buy a kit at all, maybe if I feel I want to do lots of make up afterwards then, probably best to just go on the course now and see how I feel! Thanks again (Ill keep Fero in mind, great price!) x

i've got alot of elf make up from eyeslipsface.co.uk, they do alot of offers too, when they get to 300,000 likes on facebook they're going to do 30% off! all their products range from £1.50-£6.00, they do some really good stuff for practice, i use alot of it on myself, i would never use this professionally but at the moment i'm practicing on my mum, sister and cousins, so they get elf too! lol i had the good old college make up kit when i was training and i'm not sure if they have improved but mine was awful, trying to put that foundation on someone was hillarious, lovely streaky marks. when i'm confident thats when the fun begins and i can go out with my savings and start buying all my professional goodies!!!

I would consider if you are going to use the kit after your NVQ, If you do not intend on using it the reality is you will only need it for 3 assessments to complete your make-up unit. Even if you practice alot prior to these assessment you will hardly use the kit. However if you do intend on using this kit after if is wise to purchase a more expensive one a this could be the basis of your kit and you can just keep topping up with new products. :)

i've got alot of elf make up from eyeslipsface.co.uk, they do alot of offers too, when they get to 300,000 likes on facebook they're going to do 30% off! all their products range from £1.50-£6.00, they do some really good stuff for practice, i use alot of it on myself, i would never use this professionally but at the moment i'm practicing on my mum, sister and cousins, so they get elf too! lol i had the good old college make up kit when i was training and i'm not sure if they have improved but mine was awful, trying to put that foundation on someone was hillarious, lovely streaky marks. when i'm confident thats when the fun begins and i can go out with my savings and start buying all my professional goodies!!!

Thanks for the tip I just had a peek! Reallly affordable prices! they even seem to have some mineral make up, have u tried? :) Once I start my course Ill see if I will neeed to get any!

I would consider if you are going to use the kit after your NVQ, If you do not intend on using it the reality is you will only need it for 3 assessments to complete your make-up unit. Even if you practice alot prior to these assessment you will hardly use the kit. However if you do intend on using this kit after if is wise to purchase a more expensive one a this could be the basis of your kit and you can just keep topping up with new products. :)

Thats my thinking! :green: Thanks so much for all the tips!

A good compromise would be to get a couple of decent foundations to mix from good brands eg Channel, MAC, Bobbi Brown as this is most important part and would be reason for a client coming to you for service. Then maybe get a palette of useable shadows such as Urban Decay. You can charge a nominal fee at first to see whether this is a service you want to expand and always use products up on yourself after.

i agree with above, you will not use your kit very much, i think we did make up for a week in college and then we had to do our 3 assesments. although my kit did get used up and stolen by certain people on the course, i went to an inner city college and we had some shall i say 'lovely' people on our course. if you are going to buy expensive to train with you will need to be careful where you leave it and who you lend it too.

I have used the elf mineral range and i love the foundation, booster powders, lipstick and blush, i also love the studio range brushes, i have all of them and they are really soft. i try to stay clear of the essential line (£1.50 stuff) because i'm just abit wary and also the packaging looks cheaper but i do have the bronzers which i love and the eyebrow and eyelash clear gel.

thanks guys this is all really really helpful advice which I shall be keeping in mind!! course starting in three weeks so... wohoo! very nerwracking!! Thanks again!!:green::green::green::green::green::green::green::green::green::green::green::green:

thanks guys this is all really really helpful advice which I shall be keeping in mind!! course starting in three weeks so... wohoo! very nerwracking!! Thanks again!!:green::green::green::green::green::green::green::green::green::green::green::green:

have fun :D just remember ask as many questions as you can, as one of the geeks once said to me 'no question is a silly question'. let us know how you get on :hug:

Latest posts

Back