Make up qualifications

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca@PolishedToPerfection

Reaction score
Do I have to be qualified to offer make up? There's a make up course that I've been thinking about which comes with a certificate but it's a bit out of my price range. I've messaged the make up artist that's teaching it and she said she does a workshop but it doesn't come with a certificate. She said there's no legal requirements to have a certificate. Is this true? So legally I could offer make up now with no training? It doesn't seem right to me! Xx

Do I have to be qualified to offer make up? There's a make up course that I've been thinking about which comes with a certificate but it's a bit out of my price range. I've messaged the make up artist that's teaching it and she said she does a workshop but it doesn't come with a certificate. She said there's no legal requirements to have a certificate. Is this true? So legally I could offer make up now with no training? It doesn't seem right to me! Xx
I suspect she means that there isn't a legal requirement to have a qualification in order to call yourself a makeup artist - whereas, for example, it is an offence to call yourself a solicitor if you are not appropriately qualified and enrolled as such. However, you will need some sort of qualification in order to get insurance. You would need to check with your insurer whether you could be covered for makeup services with whatever qualifications you already have, or if you need to do a makeup-specific course with a recognised certificate first.

The MUA who did my wedding makeup knows an excellent self taught MUA. She charges and is uber busy and has never had a lesson in her life. You don't have to have a qualification.
I'm looking at quals but if I can't afford it and get a few jobs then so be it.

My friend has asked me to do her wedding makeup as she loves the way I look and how I apply my own. So we are going to give it a go.

Thanks :) getting work is determined by your ability and it can come under your beauty therapy insurance so that's not a problem. My concern is that because I want to teach I could do with taking the level three qualification in order that it is reflective of my skills.

Having a qualification doesn't necessarily make someone a makeup artist but I think it's valuable in it's own right.

It's definitely more about talent than qualifications when it comes to makeup. Also, I've personally learned way more by practicing and by watching youtube, reading books etc than I did on my course.

However, insurance wise, you might need a qualification if you don't currently have any. Worth checking with your insurer.

It wouldn't hurt to do a course though. You'll learn some stuff and also - makeup courses are fun!

You don't learn a lot make up technique wise doing a course, but you do learn proper protocol for hygiene etc so i personally think it's worth doing a course, and as others have said i imagine it will be tricky to gain insurance other wise.

on the other hand some of the worlds most well know make up artists like Bobbi Brown are completely self taught… and she seems to be doing alright for herself lol

Hi there

Just be aware that if you were to ever have a claim made against you the insurers would need to see that you are adequately qualified - the definition of this will differ from insurer to insurer so it's always best to check this.

Should you wish to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact us on 08456 058 670 and one of our teal will be happy to help.

We wish you luck with your course :)

Pat McGrath is apparently self taught too. But if you want to teach you need to have PTTLS and a qualification in you chosen subject. You will also need a qualification to get insurance (unless you are as experienced and recognised as Pat)

Latest posts

Back