Make up snobbery?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a lot of drugstore stuff because most high end stuff is animal tested. There are some amazing drugstore finds out there but I do love some of my higher end stuff too. I'm def not a makeup snob.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have just done a MU course in London and was told loreal and Giorgio Armani are owned by the same company so the loreal True Match foundation is exactly the same as GA True Silk. I normally wear Mac foundation but have tried the loreal and must admit I really like it and does feel quite silky!

I could not afford to be a snob but when I treat myself.. sublime de chanel is the best mascara I've ever used. KirstyJ my friends are exactly the same, I use benefit alot aswell and they can't believe it! I love Hoola, Dallas and smokey eye kit! Also I love maybelline satin foundation. Really flawless on my skin. X

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm definitely NOT a make up snob. I drool over kryolan, illamasqua, Ben Nye, MAC ... but I've never really treated myself to much.

I have the Urban Decay Vice 2 palette, 2 MAC eyeshades & UD primer potion ... that's all the make up I have that's even up market high street lol.

I adore SLEEK. I have 8 of their eye shadow palettes, 1 foundation, 1 blush, 4 lip sticks - they're just amazing. You do need a good base to achieve long lasting results and to get the best pigmentation but for the price you can't go wrong. I haven't paid more than £9.99 for anything!

I really like some MUA as well. So cheap! Their 'undressed' and 'undressed 2' palettes that are dupes for the UD Naked palettes are so pretty. And I like their matte lipsticks - £1 each and they last me all day.

I don't like Accessorize make up in general - but I do love their brow compact and 1 of their dual tone, shimmer blushes in a rose pink - it's soooo beautiful.

I used to order NYX from America using the cherryculture website. I was obsessed with their milk jumbo eye pencil.

And I ordered loads of micas and bases from tkbtrading years ago and made my own eyeshadows and lipsticks ... the colours you could make were insane!

Sometimes in Ireland even pharmacy makeup can be expensive. We could pay up to 20 euro for a L'Oreal or Max-factor Foundation and mascaras can be 14 or 15 euro. The budget make up is rimmel or NYC. I used to love rimmel wake me up foundation but it got discontinued.

I recently tried dream weave mascara. I thought it was great value and they posted it for free for me. Not cheap but not overly expensive. Lovely product.xxx

I used to order NYX from America using the cherryculture website. I was obsessed with their milk jumbo eye pencil.
Did you know they have a uk website too? (And an MUA discount) and that you can buy it in selected Next stores?

I love sleek as well. I think their eyeshadow palettes are incredible value and brilliant. And their blushers, they really do rival some of my high end stuff. They have a lovely dupe for nars' orgasm blush (rose gold) that I LOVE. I actually have it twice, once on it's own and once in the face form kit, which is great for saving space.

Another new brand that I'm loving is Makeup Revolution. It's online at the moment on their site or Superdrug's and it's slowly being rolled out to superdrug stores, but it's ace. They have dupes of all the urban decay naked palettes for £4 each (it's created by the guy that was originally behind MUA I think!).

They also have matte liquid lipsticks that are similar to the limecrime velvetines and the MUA ones. They're pretty nice.

Did you know they have a uk website too? (And an MUA discount) and that you can buy it in selected Next stores?

I love sleek as well. I think their eyeshadow palettes are incredible value and brilliant. And their blushers, they really do rival some of my high end stuff. They have a lovely dupe for nars' orgasm blush (rose gold) that I LOVE. I actually have it twice, once on it's own and once in the face form kit, which is great for saving space.

Another new brand that I'm loving is Makeup Revolution. It's online at the moment on their site or Superdrug's and it's slowly being rolled out to superdrug stores, but it's ace. They have dupes of all the urban decay naked palettes for £4 each (it's created by the guy that was originally behind MUA I think!).

They also have matte liquid lipsticks that are similar to the limecrime velvetines and the MUA ones. They're pretty nice.

Yeah I'm waiting for Makeup Revolution to come out in my local stores but I've heard good things. I also think the guy from MUA is behind it but their FB page says they're nothing to do with them. However it is all very similar stuff!

This thread is making me miss my favourite brand, Prescriptives even more. It was so easy to pick a colour from your specific group and I had been through so many mascaras before finding their False Lashes one that I absolutely loved. There was talk that the Mac version was just that, so I bought it but it's not the same.

I need to get me a friend in America to send it all to me. :wink2:

Yeah, I haven't checked the website lately but I know that when I first discovered it in the UK it was still cheaper for me to order from USA and pay shipping. Will have to have a look and see if that's changed!

I know they used to do the glitterati palettes in river island as well ... but they are my most hated NYX product!

Sometimes in Ireland even pharmacy makeup can be expensive. We could pay up to 20 euro for a L'Oreal or Max-factor Foundation and mascaras can be 14 or 15 euro. The budget make up is rimmel or NYC. I used to love rimmel wake me up foundation but it got discontinued.

I recently tried dream weave mascara. I thought it was great value and they posted it for free for me. Not cheap but not overly expensive. Lovely product.xxx

Rimmel Wake me Up is still in loads of chemists and boots here in Leinster :)

Never, ever been a snob. I prioritise my makeup, the stuff I find essential I don't mind paying more for (foundation, mascara...), whereas more basic stuff (bronzer, highlighter) I hunt for cheaper alternatives.

I must say, Clinique foundation was hands down the best I've ever used, but at £26 a bottle, I can't justify spending that! I've been using Max Factor Facefinity (liquid and powder, £12 each) and I love it.

I've used Max Factors False Lash Effect for years, I will NEVER change mascara's. I've tried high end mascara (YSL, Clarins, Clinique, MAC) and found them to be nowhere near as good, I think the FLE is just perfect for my lashes!

Also, GOSH lipsticks are fantastic! Soft, long lasting, look and smell great. 'Darling' is the perfect nude shade!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Rimmel Wake me Up is still in loads of chemists and boots here in Leinster :)

Thanks a million Sarah I looked it up and it's actually the recover foundation. Do you remember it? It had a shimmer in it and a pink lid! I loved it!xxx

I've just ordered a load of makeup revolution stuff, mostly for personal use and a few bits to try for my kit as I've heard so much good stuff about it! Excited for it to arrive :)

Ok so being a skin geek i have to say i am a total snob when it comes to make up and i have two rules.1 it must not be tested on animals and 2 must be professional.

I use glo minerals and wow so lovely and soft, well priced and last all day. I do use urban decay all nighter to set my make up and i do use their eyeshadows too but that it no other brands for make up.

Also someone said earlier about drugstore not being tested on animals. So wrong they do most of it is made in china where it is a legal requirement to test on animals and loreal, estee lauder and garnier own most brands, premium, low cost or otherwise and guess what all tested on animals!

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Ok so being a skin geek i have to say i am a total snob when it comes to make up and i have two rules.1 it must not be tested on animals and 2 must be professional.

I use glo minerals and wow so lovely and soft, well priced and last all day. I do use urban decay all nighter to set my make up and i do use their eyeshadows too but that it no other brands for make up.

Also someone said earlier about drugstore not being tested on animals. So wrong they do most of it is made in china where it is a legal requirement to test on animals and loreal, estee lauder and garnier own most brands, premium, low cost or otherwise and guess what all tested on animals!

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Well this isn't totally accurate but yeah some drugstore makeup is animal tested but a lot is not. And it's makeup sold in china not made there that must be tested. (Btw did you know urban decay are owned by loreal who test?)

Edit I wrote a blog post about cruelty free drugstore brands..
http://love-lipstick.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/animal-friendly-uk-drugstore-brands.html?m=1

Last edited:
I used to be a total make up snob but I've tested a lot of products. I use natural collection powder blusher and bronzer and max factor mascara. Can't live without my Estée Lauder foundation or mac lipsticks though.. The mac eyeshadows are lovely!
Use benefit brow shaping kit too which is amazing to get a perfect brow and also big fan of the soap and glory eyeliner it is soooo good.

I would love to use a different foundation as like an everyday one for work but can't find one I like other than the Estée Lauder

X

I used to totally agree with this until I saw the skin on a Visia machine. A clients picture was taken and the consultant asked if she used wipes to remove her make up. The client said that yes she did, how can you tell? The consultant said "because the skin should have a healthy smattering of bacteria that helps to protect it. Your skin has none at all"

Wipes are the work of the devil!

I have used Jane Iredale make up for years, and the thought of putting something perfumed on my skin now is abhorrent!

Vicki x

Hey! This is really interesting. I'm not a skin geek but I really need to take better care of my skin. Can you tell me how to keep the healthy bacteria alive/what brands and products kill it off. Xxx

Such a good thread, makes interesting reading!

I gave up my baby wipes for make up removal in January on my birthday and invested in the complete Liz Earle range with some birthday money (think that would count as High St but still heaps better than wipes!) My skin is a lot softer and doesn't break out so much.

Make up - well, I've spent a fortune over the years and have to say I haven't really noticed much difference in terms of how it looks and feels. I wear foundation from Maybelline or Liz earle, MUA powder applied with a brush, Liz Earle bronzer and lipgloss, Mac eyeliner, M&S shadows. So I guess Im a high street girl at heart.

Hey! This is really interesting. I'm not a skin geek but I really need to take better care of my skin. Can you tell me how to keep the healthy bacteria alive/what brands and products kill it off. Xxx

I can only say environ as this is what I use and retail but I have also seen the results on the Visia machine - a nice healthy smattering of bacteria! It's £29 and lasts for ages. I massage in and remove with a wet flannel - eye make up, everything. I have a whole basket of flannels under my sink and use a clean one every night. I just rinse in the morning!

Vic x

Latest posts

Back