Making a facial last an hour (tips ?)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss Sylk

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im finding an hour facial a little difficult with my new facial brand. Its very basic. Im used to dermalogica and with all the products i could easily make it last an hour without feeling i am stretching it out too much.

Has anyone got any tips for filling the hour up?

Here is what i already do:

Cleanse, deep cleanse, Steam & exfoliate, Mask with hand and arm massage,
Remove mask, massage 15 mins (chest,shoulder,neck,face) blot, tone, moisturise eye products etc.

The first part seems to go so quick! I love it when i can do extractions as it fills the time out nicely.

Any tips appreciated x

Hiya, how long do you steam for and how long do you leave the mask on?

wow, i always tend to go over on my facials! especially for a mini facial! Do you time yourself? ive got loads so i do different things for each and sometimes ask if the client wants additional treatments etc. I also changed brands recently and got my therapist to trial a few and we've gone through a nice routine to ensure each treatment is the same time etc

Theres really so much you could do in the hour facial. All are optional!
You could work more on their neck/chest if you dont already include it. Ensure that your deep cleanse/cleanse is taking roughly 10-15mins rather than rushing it!
You could double steam to ensure that you know time is well spent, before after mask etc
you could do a eye brow/lash tinting inbetween when mask is on.
Add more effeluages, or your own signature move! (we've all got one! hehe!)
Do a sinus massage if you include it or work on lymph nodes or drainage more, there really is so much you could do! hths xoxo

I too struggle to finish in the hour. I don't do a hand and arm massage, but plenty of neck, shoulder, decoll massage.
I do a pressure point massage whilst the mask is on.

Hi guys,

Im finding an hour facial a little difficult with my new facial brand. Its very basic. Im used to dermalogica and with all the products i could easily make it last an hour without feeling i am stretching it out too much.

Has anyone got any tips for filling the hour up?

Here is what i already do:

Cleanse, deep cleanse, Steam & exfoliate, Mask with hand and arm massage,
Remove mask, massage 15 mins (chest,shoulder,neck,face) blot, tone, moisturise eye products etc.

The first part seems to go so quick! I love it when i can do extractions as it fills the time out nicely.

Any tips appreciated x

Do you not do massage in your facial???? This is a basic and neccessary part of a facial. If your not doing a massage no wonder your struggling to make it last an hour!

Do you not do massage in your facial???? This is a basic and neccessary part of a facial. If your not doing a massage no wonder your struggling to make it last an hour!
she stated that she does 15 minutes massage to the neck face and decolletage area.

I also do a pressure point facial massag whilst the mask is on and a scalp massage.

When I do a facial, when the steam is on I include a foot massage and if they need the steam on for a little longer i do a lower leg and foot massage. Maybe you could incorporate this by having the steam on a little longer and therefore fill your hour up? hth x

she stated that she does 15 minutes massage to the neck face and decolletage area.

I also do a pressure point facial massag whilst the mask is on and a scalp massage.

Ooops i must be tired! Didn't see that, thanks for pointing that out x

I usually run over too, especially on a taster facial (30 min)!
Im currently using elemis my routine is...

Eye & lip cleanse

Cleanse

Remove with hot mitts

Skin analysis

Tone

Exfoliate

Remove with hot mitts

Massage i also including pressure points & drainage(5 mins in taster 10 in full facial)

Mask

Neck & shoulder massage then go up to scalp massage (10 mins in taster 15 in full facial)

Remove mask with hot mitts

Tone

Eye products

Moisturise

Then product recommendations 5 mins!

hth x

Can I ask why you are doing the mask before the massage is that something the range requires or did you mix them up when typing ?

I personally think the massage should last at least 20mins if you are struggling with movements then an extra 5 mins on the neck/shoulders/scalp would be good.

How long are you leaving the mask on for ? If you are leaving it on for only 10mins why not increase the time and then offer the client either a longer hand & arm or scalp massage.

Im interested in your comment about 'stretching it out to much' I think all of my clients would be more than happy to go over the treatments times. I have complained at salons before if my facial has ended early as I expect it to last for the time stated on the price list.

Can I ask why you are doing the mask before the massage is that something the range requires or did you mix them up when typing ?

I personally think the massage should last at least 20mins if you are struggling with movements then an extra 5 mins on the neck/shoulders/scalp would be good.

How long are you leaving the mask on for ? If you are leaving it on for only 10mins why not increase the time and then offer the client either a longer hand & arm or scalp massage.

Im interested in your comment about 'stretching it out to much' I think all of my clients would be more than happy to go over the treatments times. I have complained at salons before if my facial has ended early as I expect it to last for the time stated on the price list.

she said she is doing mask then hand and arm massage hun x

Oh boy! I wish I could get mine to under an hour! And that's my 45 minute one....

If I'm doing extractions I'll easily spend and hour and a half hands on!

I never stop massaging unless doing extractions and I never leave the face/neck/decollete. I massage the cleanser in, the exfoliant whilst steaming, okay pat in the toners & serums, massage during the masque, massage when I'm supposed to massage and then massage in the moisturiser. Fact is, I could massage all day. Love it!

Actually, is that the trick? Love your client - mine are fabulous and the time just flies.

x

I too struggle to fit a facial within an hour. At the retreat where I work, I have to do 45 minute treatments, but I concentrate on the massage and perhaps a bit less on the mask time or cut down on one of the cleanses. I feel that the massage is the important part of the routine.

With my hourly facials, the mask stays on a lot longer and I offer either arm/hand massage or mini Thai foot massage.

at the end of the treatment, I do facial Reiki, scalp massage and chakra balance. When I'm mobile, I offer my client a cup of herbal tea while I pack up my stuff.

trozzina i think that is the trick! I love massage and you love your client more when they are utterly relaxed! Quite theraputic isnt it?! Proberly why im always running over, im too zoned out! hehe!
thing with facials is the client loves the movement of someone touching thier face and that helps relax them more, weird but nice!
Next year im going to incorporate a scalp massage with coconut oil, and Stone therapy into my facials, after trialing it out this year. Just dont be afraid to try something new! xoxo

she said she is doing mask then hand and arm massage hun x

I think you might have mis-read what I wrote. I know she already offers a hand and arm massage, I was suggesting she should consider doing a longer massage.

trozzina i think that is the trick! I love massage and you love your client more when they are utterly relaxed! Quite theraputic isnt it?! Proberly why im always running over, im too zoned out! hehe!
thing with facials is the client loves the movement of someone touching thier face and that helps relax them more, weird but nice!
Next year im going to incorporate a scalp massage with coconut oil, and Stone therapy into my facials, after trialing it out this year. Just dont be afraid to try something new! xoxo
I've been experimenting with a spa scalp treatment which I'm launching in the Spring.

I also do a facial massage with crystals.

hi i've just been looking at this post i completed my nvq 2 recently but i'm still trying to learn the lingo and was wondering when you say extractions does that mean comedones etc?
thanks
xxx

yes it means extracting comedones xx

Thanks for the tips guys.

I wish i had a better facial brand, as i say, when i used dermalogica it flew by!

Id love to extend the deep cleanse stage, but i only have one foaming facial cleanser in my range! so a bit hard, i prefer using the foaming wash then a nice deep cleanse cream, think ill have to buy from another range as much as i hate too, i guess the client will never know but will enjoy the deep cleanse.

I do about a 15 min massage with steam in which i do a hand and arm massage. This i may stretch to 20 mins but as i say i feel concious of the fact im stretching it out adn wonder what the client feels on the bed when im doing that? maybe im paranoid.

I think when im doing the massage, i will add a scalp massage, how i ever forgot this could be a part of the routine i dont know!!

I also wish i had an exfoliator that i cud leave on and steam, but its a scrub, otherwise i could do a leg and foot massage whilst this is on.

Hm....ill try a few things there and see how it goes.

x

Latest posts

Back