Male Grooming Is Booming!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
It won’t come as any surprise to us to hear that male grooming is becoming more and more popular. The BBC first reported on this way back in 2004 when David Beckham and his ‘metrosexual’ ways were at their most influential, but did you know that not only is the industry growing, it’s actually booming despite the tough financial times we find ourselves in?

The numbers of males working in the industry is also on the rise. At the moment 2% of the beauty workforce is male according to The Carlton Institute but as the popularity of male-only salons increases, so too do male therapists. Stevenson College in Edinburgh says that 10% of its students are male and the door-to-door sales service Avon says that 5% of its workforce is male and it’s increasing all the time.

Is it any surprise when the beauty industry is worth £17.4 billion ($26.7 billion)? It was surely only a matter of time before savvy males looking for alternative career options defied outdated tradition and jumped (pedicured) feet first into the industry. Salons such as The Refinery in London’s Mayfair, have all responded to this growing industry.

In fact, perhaps we should all be responding. A report in Marketing Week suggests that any brands investing in male grooming products are likely to see increased spending levels despite the economic downturn. Men, afterall, can be reliable but lazy customers. While women view products in an experimental way, men tend to view them as necessity. It may not be very interesting but once they’ve decided they need it, they’ll buy it religiously, and they probably won’t be swayed by ever-changing trends, unlike their female counterparts.

Unfortunately for us as professionals, 86% of men are still buying their grooming products at the same time as their groceries. The good news is however, that there clearly is a market out there and if you can get men into your salons then you’re likely to see serious financial reward. The big question is how to get them through the door and, is it that easy?

We’ll be discussing the impact that the male market is having on the beauty industry throughout this week. Look out as well for the very interesting interview with Deborah Gayle, manager of The Refinery.

Until then…geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• mail facial.jpg
    mail facial.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 860
Great news and I look forward to reading the interview..
Jack

Brilliant but something that doesn't surprise me. Makes me think that I should retail though.

This is exteremly encouraging news!

The point I will make though is this; the article says that if you get men through your doors they will spend on products and services; yet so many therapists and business owners are very objective to men as clients.

There are threads all the time with geeks saying how they wouldnt be comfortable and happy doing this and that treatment on a man; yet they will then go on to complain about lack of business.

I completely understand about personal comfort zones but come on, not wanting to do a pedicure on a guy??!!

I think that if people weren't so shortsighted then they could see the sheer volume of money to be made out of the male market; and its a shame that they arent willing to diversify their business model to accomodate this. Instead its people opening up specifically 'male' grooming centres that are reaping the rewards

This is exteremly encouraging news!

The point I will make though is this; the article says that if you get men through your doors they will spend on products and services; yet so many therapists and business owners are very objective to men as clients.

There are threads all the time with geeks saying how they wouldnt be comfortable and happy doing this and that treatment on a man; yet they will then go on to complain about lack of business.

I completely understand about personal comfort zones but come on, not wanting to do a pedicure on a guy??!!

I think that if people weren't so shortsighted then they could see the sheer
volume of money to be made out of the male market; and its a shame that they arent willing to diversify their business model to accomodate this. Instead its people opening up specifically 'male' grooming centres that are reaping the rewards

We only offer men's treatments to men we know or husbands, brothers, fathers etc of clients we already have as we only have one treatment room upstairs so a lot of the time we're on our own and it's just too risky. I wouldn't put myself in this position so I wouldn't do it to someone who works for me. However if we had a bigger salon where there was always more than one of us there I would start advertising men's treatments and start doing them for the general public and not just men we know

We have a lot of male clients, mainly massage but just today picked up a new client for waxing - back/shoulders/butt/BSC and to be honest I prefer guys like this to an every 2 month female eyebrow wax.

Male clients are very loyal and although everyone has their reasons and choice, I personally think turning male clients down is watching cash walk out the door and its not come back as they will find someone else to do it.

Although I can't put a statistical figure on it, in my own work experience 99% of the guys are genuine and sometimes more afraid to ask about massage or waxing in case the therapists thinks the wrong thing about them.

It's nice to see more guys using therapists and looking after themselves more, but as pointed out we have been hearing that "men are this years big trend" every year since 2004. Yes the number of male clients is increasing - but it has never 'exploded' as the press seem to portray.

Salon's can't rely on male clients, just because they offer treatments to guys doesn't mean they will have a full appointment book!

And attitudes from both companies and salons needs to change! I go into a salon for a facial - I can have the Male Facial, but in the menu there can be as many as ten or fifteen facials for ladies to choose from. Just because we are blokes doesn't mean we all have the same skin.

Products also need to be marketed differently - a great example is the Espa 24hr Balancing Complex I wrote about here the once.

Unfortunately so many salons give off a horrible negative attitude to male clients - it really is an issue of mine! Too many salons (clearly not all - but a good number) assume that a) any guy who makes an appointment wants "something extra" b) the guy clearly wants to assault them - why else would he want an appointment or c) only men make inappropriate comments, advances or actions.

I have had women try it on with me, I know many therapists (male and female) who have had women behave far from appropriately! Until attitudes to men change then those the majority of those 86% will continue to buy products from the high street.

Oh and the attitude isn't just salons - it is the training schools and academy's. From personal experience I really hope they have changed significantly in the past few years from what I had when I was first trying to train in waxing!

Things are changing, just a lot slower then some people would have us believe. Look at how few male therapists there are in the industry and on here. Look at how few male grooming salons exist in the UK at the moment.

Has anyone else noticed that the Professional Beauty Awards no longer includes a male category? We must be doing so well to loose our own category in the largest awards in the industry - the only ones that had a male treatments category.

Just so that I can end my post on a positive note - there are many salons that offer guys amazing treatments and experiences. And of that they should be incredibly proud!

Last edited:
Bang on Mat! Well said!

Really interesting thread. May I use some of your figures for my news page/blog on my website?

When I trained (1995) we had two guys on my course even then! However, I s'pose it was central London..... but nevertheless a glimpse of a future trend. Bring it on!

I have had women try it on with me,
Really!!!! And there's me, can't even give it away!

I think that people treat you how you allow them to treat you, so if the therapist is confident and has self respect, the client will treat you the same. Of course you will always get some weirdo, but they go through life like that, so it's not personal to the therapist. I say this as I know that it can knock the confidence of someone just staring out in the business, especially young women.

Latest posts

Back