Male mobile hairdresser

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wombats

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a guy, and I am considering trying mobile hairdressing while I am trying to find a salon job, but after reading some threads on here about mobile hairdressers and beauticians who are wary of going to a man's home to carry out a treatment, I started wondering about how it would be the other way around.

Do you think women would be put off by a man coming to their home to do their hair? I've never actually heard of a male mobile hairdresser. I don't want to put the money into getting insurance and the extra supplies I need in case it all goes wrong for this reason.

I know it's all a bit sexist and such, but it is a realistic issue, so I'd appreciate any insight anyone has.

Thanks!

This is a hard one,

Do you want real honesty?

Are you straight?

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I want real honesty. As I said, I don't want to risk wasting money on this for it all to go wrong for a reason like this.

No.

My opinion so sorry if its offends anyone.

I think it would be alot harder for a straight male to be mobile,
I think alot of partners/husbands would be worried for the safety of there wives.

I know my hubby would raise an eyebrow! Right or wrong he would..

I think it could work, have you got any sort of client base?

Well, the reason I asked is because I realise a lot of people might have an issue with it. Whether that is right or wrong is not the question at hand, though. I know for a fact that I do not pose a danger to anyone at all, but I fully understand their concerns. There is just too much danger in the world. I don't think being gay or not really affects it - you can't tell someone's sexuality from their leaflet or business card, and it's hardly something you'd put on there! Haha.

Thank you for being blunt. I appreciate it. I hope that others will reply and give me their input, but my gut instinct tells me that it's not the best idea to go ahead with this. I know it could work, but in my financial situation, I'm not at all sure about it.

I don't have a client base, sadly.

Doesn't matter to me!

If someone recommends you because you did their hair amazing, last thing they care about it if your male or female. All that's matters is your good at what you do :) x

Well, the reason I asked is because I realise a lot of people might have an issue with it. Whether that is right or wrong is not the question at hand, though. I know for a fact that I do not pose a danger to anyone at all, but I fully understand their concerns. There is just too much danger in the world. I don't think being gay or not really affects it - you can't tell someone's sexuality from their leaflet or business card, and it's hardly something you'd put on there! Haha.

I'd be interested in reading other replies too but I do think people would be less concerned with a gay stylist,

No you can't tell from a leaflet unless its very camp.

Doesn't matter to me!

If someone recommends you because you did their hair amazing, last thing they care about it if your male or female. All that's matters is your good at what you do :) x

Doesn't matter to me either, but I do think partners would be concerned initially

We used to have a male mobile hairdresser come to our house when i was younger! it didn't bother us - it influenced me to be a hairdresser to be honest - he was chocker all the time, and still is to this day! some people may have a problem with it im not gonna lie but theres a hell of a lot of people out there who wont care!! as long as u provide a brilliant service at reasonable prices people will come back to you time and time again

Hope this helps a little xxx

It will be an issue if you make it an issue - I did mobile beauty for years and never had a problem....not once. Having said that I am in a small town where everyone knows everyone.

I really do worry about how suspicious some people's minds are. Do people really believe that you would set up a mobile hair business just to be a sex pest??? Oh I know, I'll train for years, invest thousands in education and equipment, just so I can feel a client up when I'm cutting their fringe and then get sent to prison???!! I would think if you were into that kind of thing there would be a much easier way to go about it.

My advice would be to go for it. Mobile work is a slow burn, it may take a while to build it up, but if you are good at what you do, it will happen for you

Good luck!
J

It will be an issue if you make it an issue - I did mobile beauty for years and never had a problem....not once. Having said that I am in a small town where everyone knows everyone.

I really do worry about how suspicious some people's minds are. Do people really believe that you would set up a mobile hair business just to be a sex pest??? Oh I know, I'll train for years, invest thousands in education and equipment, just so I can feel a client up when I'm cutting their fringe and then get sent to prison???!! I would think if you were into that kind of thing there would be a much easier way to go about it.

My advice would be to go for it. Mobile work is a slow burn, it may take a while to build it up, but if you are good at what you do, it will happen for you

Good luck!
J

Very true!

It would not matter to me at all.
I would be a bit cautious at first as I would be inviting any stranger into my home and maybe have a friend present until I got to know you and feel comfortable with you. I am married and my husband would have no problem either as long as he knew I was being safe.
In fact, I think it would make a nice change to have a male hairdresser rather than female all of the time!

I say go for it and Good Luck x

There's a male mobile hairdresser in my local area. I don't know him personally, but from what I can gather from his Facebook page is that he's very busy...

Here's an idea which doesn't cost the earth, why don't you put posters up in your local area (free ad spaces at gyms, supermarkets etc) just ones that you have done yourself at home, with the tear off strips with your number on and see what response you get.

Hiya it wouldn't bother me at all but I have to say my other half would have a problem with a straight stranger man coming into our house. Which would be Aggravation for me so that would put me off.
I know for myself I wouldn't feel threatened by a gay guy (sexually) but I could feel threatened by a straight guy .... I really don't want to sound sexist or any other type of "ist" but it's my honest opinion.

Like you said you can't tell sexuality from a flyer or card but I've just asked my gal pals and they have agreed that they would automatically presume you wasn't straight...so would definately call the business card if looking for a mobile hairdresser.

Sorry if my reply offends, I just wanted to be truthful to the op and offence is not intended.

I done it and had no problems. Its slow, but it is building up be it mobile or salon male or female.

I am quite shocked that so many people's husbands are so insecure that they would think their wife might cheat or get touched up or murdered by their stylist, and a bit disheartened that some would choose not to have a male hairdresser because their husbands would be funny about it.

If my oh seen his bum that I chose a gay male hairdresser who worked wearing nothing but shoes then that's his problem, its my hair, and I choose people who are good, not whats in their pants (or not in any pants if it be) xoxo

Have to be honest as long as you did a great job with my hair it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Also even though I don't think he would, if my partner had a problem it would just be that.. HIS problem! Nothing would come between me and my new do!!!

Why would anyone have an issue? Straight/gay/bi who cares? Not all men are potential rapists! In fact I'm a bit embarrassed that society is feeling that way..a bit Brass Eye tbh
So if your gay then should I have a problem with you coming to do my partners hair?? You know in case you can't hold back your urges and have am illicit pash session on the kitchen counter? Or rape him?? Why is a straight man going to a woman's any different? What a sad state of affairs that these views are still being held in a time of supposed equality

Just because a your a man I don't think your any more of a threat then a female hairstylist! If you do a great job then great and I'm sure you will be able to resist me lol

I actually think that this is sexism! And would love to see more males in female rolls and vice versa. Male midwife, female builder..gay,straight,bi, asexual..male\ female..don't know about you but I'm not a slave to my sexual urges and my partner would trust me to have you in our home whilst he was out without "raising an eyebrow"

Why would anyone have an issue? Straight/gay/bi who cares? Not all men are potential rapists! In fact I'm a bit embarrassed that society is feeling that way..a bit Brass Eye tbh
So if your gay then should I have a problem with you coming to do my partners hair?? You know in case you can't hold back your urges and have am illicit pash session on the kitchen counter? Or rape him?? Why is a straight man going to a woman's any different? What a sad state of affairs that these views are still being held in a time of supposed equality

Just because a your a man I don't think your any more of a threat then a female hairstylist! If you do a great job then great and I'm sure you will be able to resist me lol

I actually think that this is sexism! And would love to see more males in female rolls and vice versa. Male midwife, female builder..gay,straight,bi, asexual..male\ female..don't know about you but I'm not a slave to my sexual urges and my partner would trust me to have you in our home whilst he was out without "raising an eyebrow"

My comments were nothing to do with sexual urges they were based on safety,

My comments were nothing to do with sexual urges they were based on safety,

Why would to be less safe with a straight man then a gay man? Does that mean that it would be unsafe for a gay man to be alone with another man?
Provided the stylist had professional cards with a listed number, a good rep, or a website/FB page then I do not think there is going to be any greater risk then if it was a woman.
There are easier ways to go about raping a woman then to set up a business, spending money on advertising/training/equipment.

If you wanna do my hair then come on round. Nick won't bat an eyelid as he trusts me and my judgment. Even if you are a Tom Hardy look a like...but if you are I can't guarantee your safety ;)

Another point is surly female mobile stylists are putting themselves at risk of rape every day, going to people's homes who they don't know, where they may have been duped by a couple who want their wicked way with her but 1000s still do it.

And having spent a lot of time on the gay scene I have seen plenty of predatory women in my time..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back