Male mobile hairdresser

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely agree with CHarvey. It makes no difference to me and my other half just laughed when I asked if he would be bothered.

A good hairdresser is a good hairdresser xx

Sent from my HTC One X+ using SalonGeek

Use your 'USA trained male stylist' as your unique selling point.

I think you would get clients interested in trying you as a novelty in the first instance and then assuming they were happy, you'd build your clientele by word of mouth afterwards.

Personally, I think you're on to a winner. Good luck.

I used to be mobile. And women loved it didn't matter at all...

But one of my friend which is a client said to me once her husband was jealous of me staying with her alone for hours looooool then she told him I'm g u know lol but I'm not camp at all so that's why must people doesn't know people ask me it in the salon all the time I never know what to say lol

I would also say that it might be worth you getting a CRB check done as an extra incentive for clients to welcome you into their homes, remember there are young mums out there with little ones in the house and knowing that you are CRB checked can be a bonus.

I agree with other geeks though that it ought not to matter if you are male or female, gay or straight. All that should matter is that you do a great job and that YOU are safe in their homes too. What have you got to lose if you try? You might love it but you will never know if you don't give it a whirl.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

I have a good friend who is a male mobile hairdresser. He's been mobile now for 25 years!!!! He's not gay ( who bloody cares) and he's never encountered any safety issues either on his own behalf or from jealous husbands.
It's about how you present yourself. Professional, reliable, unique, damn good at what you do and trust me I think you'll rock it!
My friend has a massive client base of older ladies who just love him to bits, he gets spoiled rotten by them and fussed to death. He also has a lot of younger clients and quite a few guys too. He keeps himself bang up to date on all the latest techniques and does quite a few younger guys who will get done at the same time as their mum for example.
And I'm also shocked by how many people tolerate their husbands "being bothered" by them having a male hairdresser round, any of that malarkey in my house and he'd be right in the doghouse and my appointment would be booked pronto! What do they think you're going to do? If they are that bothered is the gas man allowed in, a plumber, decorator, joiner etc? It's absolutely ridiculous and about trust issues not whether you'll make a good hairdresser.
Put some low cost advertising out and assess your response, i think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks for all the replies. It's encouraging that some people believe it won't be an issue.

I wasn't trying to be sexist or discriminating when I made this thread (it is, of course, and I don't like that). The whole thing occurred to me when I read about female mobile hairdressers and beauticians not going to male clients without a female present, or only accepting male clients from referrals - I think that is fair enough - and I wanted to see what people thought of it from the other way around.

So, thanks for the insight everyone. :)

Ok so I guess a lot of comments regarding "insecure husbands/trust issues" are directed at my comment.
First of all the op asked for honest opinions and I gave mine, I however did not ask for anyone to judge my opinion or ask for anybody's opinion.
It's not about other halfs being "insecure or not trusting" , its more to do with "picking your battles" with your other half, what's the point of argueing with my other half over a hairdresser when there is loads of mobile hairdressers out there that produce fabulous work? If you chose to put your husband in the doghouse over it that's your choice.
With regards to plumbers,joiners builders etc, I personally arrange them when my other half is around for MY safety and. The safety of my kids. Again this is my opinion and my choice. Moving on I would never ever see a male gynaecologist , or a male midwife...sexist? I think not i just wouldn't want a man down in my private parts.
This does not effect me in my personal life or make me a bad person.

I spend my days waxing, doing male and female clients - male and female intimate waxing. My clients have to come to the home a 6'2" strange male, then walk up to the second floor into an amazing treatment room. Yes, they are often nervous - that is why I always walk up the stairs first, so that at any point they don't feel trapped and can just turn around and walk out before I have even noticed.

Some guys won't see a bloke for waxing, some would prefer to, some ladies won't see a bloke for waxing, some would prefer to. Some blokes and some ladies husbands, partners and wives wouldn't want them seeing a bloke for any treatment.

But you know what, there are more then enough clients out there that would. Be the best at what you do and promote yourself professionally and with quality service and you will be just fine!

Ok so I guess a lot of comments regarding "insecure husbands/trust issues" are directed at my comment.
First of all the op asked for honest opinions and I gave mine, I however did not ask for anyone to judge my opinion or ask for anybody's opinion.
It's not about other halfs being "insecure or not trusting" , its more to do with "picking your battles" with your other half, what's the point of argueing with my other half over a hairdresser when there is loads of mobile hairdressers out there that produce fabulous work? If you chose to put your husband in the doghouse over it that's your choice.
With regards to plumbers,joiners builders etc, I personally arrange them when my other half is around for MY safety and. The safety of my kids. Again this is my opinion and my choice. Moving on I would never ever see a male gynaecologist , or a male midwife...sexist? I think not i just wouldn't want a man down in my private parts.

Well said!

To the OP. my opinion- yes I think it could work :) I think it will make it better that you are gay. I'd personally not be comfortable with a straight male coming to my house (I'm not being offensive to anyone before I get shot down) i just wouldn't feel 'safe' - not that I think I'm going to get raped/touched/cheat - its just the way I am and it seems a few geeks on here are the same xx

Most plumbers and electricians are male so why not a male mobile hairdresser? Wouldnt bother me at all but i would check out your facebook page to see if other people reccomend you and pics pf your work and that goes for anyone not just because your a guy

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek

From the comments that were made about husbands, one was mine.
I did not for a moment imply that it made you a bad person. It's your life and your choice.
I simply feel that it's a sad state of affairs when every man who has to visit someone's home in the course of their work as a professional is viewed as a potential threat. Yes if my other half objected I'd tell him to get stuffed, that doesn't mean that you have to, it was simply my opinion not a judgement on yours or you as a person.
Absolutely no offense intended, just my views we are all different and thank god we are or we'd never discuss anything on here.

Well, hairdressers are different from plumbers and electricians, aren't they? We come in a lot closer contact with a person. Yes, it's not intimate, and it's just their hair we're touching, but we're still entering their personal space.

I can understand the issues a husband or boyfriend may have - hairdressers develop professional relationships with their clients, and the client's partner may, whether it is right or wrong, be fearful of that professional relationship crossing the boundaries and entering into a romantic one. It would never happen with me - professionalism is very important to me. They may also be afraid of inappropriate behaviour - that would never happen with me, either. I don't even curse in front of clients.

Again, thanks for all the insight! I truly do appreciate it. I hope this thread hasn't caused any upset between members - we're each entitled to our opinion, and that is what I was asking for.

On that note, and assuming the OP now has the answers to his questions, I am now closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back