Managing school holidays!?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pippit

Reaction score
Started doing Shellac- mobile before Christmas. I only work part- time during school hours.
I am now wondering how to handle school holidays, I originally thought most of my clients would be school mums, i probably knew.So it wouldn't matter too much if we both had our kids present. But this isn't always the case,so I am now concerned that I will not be able to take my children with me, as I would have done if they were a mum & I knew them. I do not have any childcare cover and as it would be adhoc and not worth me paying for an hour here or there ,it isn't really an option. Are any of you mums working similar to me in the same position?, any ideas how I can make it work ? I don't want to ask if i can bring my children with me, if I don't know them,its not fair on the kids, also it is unprofessional. But don't want to miss out on business at hopefully a busy time.

How old are your children? There anyway you can set something up at home and leave them to play quietly when a client comes round?

Sent from my GT540 using SalonGeek

As you are in control of when you book people in for appointments you could pick one or 2 days day a week, put the children into childcare (look into local holiday clubs) and get all your clients booked in for the day/days youv'e picked, this would then mean you can be 100% professional at all times through the holidays and get your appointments done without children present on work days and your children get your attention & time the rest of the week to do fun things.

I would be upfront with the clients and explain in advance that you can only do one or 2 days every week through the holidays (stating Tue & Fri or whatever days you choose) as you have childcare arranged and hope all the clients will be flexible enough to go with those days or you could ask them all what days they would like you to be available and then chose the most popular days asked for by your clients.

Yes agree with Baggybear book them into holiday clubs for couple days and offer those days to clients x

My son started school last september so I have the same problem and my daughter starts school this September.

Luckily the nursery my son went to and my daughter still goes to run a holiday club in the holidays so they will be in there. Its £95 per child for the week but I get help with my childcare so that helps. It's a lot better than the £185 a week I have to pay for my daughter at the moment!

X

I have the same situation too. My youngest goes to nursery (which are my working days - part time). As it's a day nursery she can still go thru school hols, so I'm sticking with those working days and working from home with the two eldest there - they are ok to occupy themselves but I've explained to current clients that i have to work from home in the hols and so far they r fine with that. I think they are happy they can still get their nails done! I don't know about u but the last school hols was naturally quiet so I only had a few clients...most were on holiday.

I would make a plan for school holidays and stick to it so u can make your clients aware in advance that's how you work.

Although, when the 3rd goes to school next year I'll probably arrange set days to work and get involved in the clubs then, 3 at home probably a step to far!!!!

If you are trying to build up a long term business then you should really get proper childcare sorted throughout the holidays. You are only working on ad hoc basis, what are your actual goals long term ?

Do you have any friends/family you can rely on ?

Perhaps you could just work evenings in the holidays or one day a week ?

I still have my 3yr old at home, he does nursery 1/2 days, my other 2 are in full time school. So I only offer evening appointments and weekends when my Husband is there to look after them.
could this be an option for you? Or have clients come to you in the evenings when the children are in bed? or certainly the youngest if the older one are ok to keep themsleves occupied?
Or just as baggybear suggested.
xx

Thank you all for you suggestions. I will make a plan and you are right I am in control so need it to work for me and it isn't forever.

HI i TEND TO WORK MOST EVENINGS IN THE SUMMER HOLS AND A FRIEND AND I (SWAP) CHILDREN ONE DAY EACH WEEK AND MY MOTHER IN LAW HAS THEM ANOTHER DAY. iT1S HARD WORK GOING OUT WHEN YOU HAVE HAD THE KIDS ALL DAY BUT IT1S THE BEST THING AND I AM LUCKY THAT MY CLIENTS ARE HAPPY TO FIT IN. X

Hi, i dont find it a problem at all, i have one child and although now i am home-based which is alot easier as he can play in his room, have his pals round etc, this wasn't always the case, when i was mobile i took him with me, my clients didn't mind at all, they used to put a film on for him to watch or something and he brought a bag with things in it as well.
As an incentive i have always given him any tips i get when i work during the holidays, he actually looks forward to me working then, lol, it makes him behave nicely too because he wants me to keep doing it this way, because he benefits from it too

Latest posts

Back