manicures on the elderly

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annie

Reaction score
I recently qualified in VTCT Manicure/Pedicure and have just done a few manicures on lovely elderly ladies. These ladies have not had manicures for years and there cuticles are really hard. Even after massaging cuticle cream and soaking nails they will not seem to push back. Can anyone suggest anything to help soften them

It is not really necessary to push the eponychium back if they don't want to move, and you should not try to do so.

Regular use of SolarOil may soften the skin if it wants to be softened but other than esthetics, there is no need to push back the Eponychium. A manicure is meant to clean and tidy the nails and to soften the skin surrounding the nail
unit and the hands.

I too have done the VTCT manicure and pedicure course during which they told us to use cuticle remover and to use a cuticle knife and nippers to remove/push back the cuticle. This is part of the assessment we had to undertake.

As for pushing back the cuticle during a manicure try different cuticle removers or try soaking for a bit longer of gradually move them on each appointment.

Hope this is of some help.

Sammie

Okay will do thanks for your quick reply

The cuticle and the eponychium are two completely different things.

You push back eponychium - living tissue (if you can but you must never force it) and you remove cuticle - non living (which is exfoliated skin cells that attach them selves to the nail plate.

I hope you are not suggesting to remove living eponychium with a cuticle knife or nippers?? You would use these implements to remove non-living cuticle from the plate.

When people talk about pushing back the living tissue at the distal end of the nail plate it is meaning eponychium and not cuticle.

I stand by my first post completely and I think you are getting your terms mixed up .... or else you were taught incorrect information.

I was not suggesting to cut into anything living. I was taught to gently push back cuticle and to remove any dead skin with cuticle clippers. I will try solar oil thanks for suggesting it

OK ... great, so lets get the terms absolutely right.

You are not pushing back cuticle ... you are pushing back eponychium, what you are removing from the plate is non living and is the cuticle.

Sorry totally mis-read your reply.

Sammie

I was told to tell my clients to use "AHA cuticle eraser" cream and solar oil from Creative everyday on their nails and cuticle area. This destroys the bonds between the dead skin cells and softens the skin respectively, thus if used everyday excess cuticle will disappear within a month leaving nice smooth skin behind. no cutting or nipping required (which only encourages the body to pile it back on at double the rate). I experimented with it on my niece who used to have camels eyelids and now they are much better, so it does work.

have used the aha and solar oil myself an my nails are looking fab for the first time ever and i have very little cuticle to remove as i use it every day and my hang nails ahve drastically improved.
x

Toni Talons said:
I experimented with it on my niece who used to have camels eyelids and now they are much better, so it does work.

LMAO!! never heard it refered to as that before!

Might try that on my daughter then cos she's got these too. she has quite a few hangnails though, do you think it will sting? she is nearly 9. thanks x

Doesnt sting at all Sherrie, makes your nails look really nice and moisterizes the skin so they don't split too easy, i use scentsations as well as hand creamor solar butter for an intensive smoothing
x

HI there

CND AHA Cuticle Eraser & Solar Oil together make the PEFECT POWER PACK.

A dot of AHA Eraser & a dot of Solar Oil massaged gently into - onto nails
& cuticles is the start to happy healthy hands.

I like to leave this for a good 5 mins to allow the complete benefit.
Eliminating having to move mountains[lol]

For more stubborn lil cuticles and surrounds I LOVE CND Cuticle Remover.
Not for Retail to Gen Public.

As you Shampoo & Condition your Hair , your Hands Feet & Body require
the same TLC.

Rehydrate - Replenish - Nourish.
Split - Dry -Cracked - Torn Nails - Cuticles.

Spa Mani - Solar Mani
I have found to be very benificial for Mature Mani's.
Absorbtion - Visible improved overall appearence - Ease for use at home to achieve Salon results - No over bearing scent.

Solar Mani
Sends some of my mature ladies on a nostalgia trip.
Reminds alot of Marzipan and child hood treats.

Spa Mani
Makes US ALL want to go on Holidays just with a wiff.MMMMMMMMMM

hTh
XX J XX

Latest posts

Back