Mask or Stencil??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nat Tov

Reaction score
As there are a few questions about airbrushing floating around I've always wondered what people prefer using and whats generally best. Is it better to use a stencil or mask? Is it easier to use mask? or does the paint scratch off even more & get stuck to the mask? Views appreciated.

I haven't had very good luck with masks. They tend to take paint with it when it comes off if not very careful. I perfer stencils. They can bleed but with practice it gets better.

I think you should master both.
I started out using stencils and only moved on to masks when I got Elizabeth Anthonys book.
There are hundreds of stencils compared to masks so for variety you should have both.
I think masks are easier to use but you should find what you are happiest with.

I use masks all the time, never get stuck to the paint, maybe you are not spraying dry enough? I find that the stencils bleed aswell, get a lovely crisp design with the masks x

i use masks mostly...if you find them a tad too sticky then press them gently on your desk towel to unsticky them a bit...but i have never had them peel paint off ....they are brill especially if you want to airbrush your own nails

what make of masks are you using that are really sticky? we manufacture these in a material very similar to Media and if anything I would say they need to get to body temperature to stick! have to press them quite firmly or they start to lift (get this with the media ones too)... we did try a stickier material but that did peel off the paint so that was no good at all.

Aspirations said:
what make of masks are you using that are really sticky? we manufacture these in a material very similar to Media and if anything I would say they need to get to body temperature to stick! have to press them quite firmly or they start to lift (get this with the media ones too)... we did try a stickier material but that did peel off the paint so that was no good at all.

I use Sherrie's masks and they are brilliant - you really do need to spray dry though, especially when using masks or you will pull the paint off. It could be the paint you are using too - I've had problems with Createx paints when using masking, but never with Medea.

But as Vanessa says, if you master both then you can't go wrong. I started off using stencils but my preference these days is for masks, although I do use the odd stencil now and again.

Jackie

Latest posts

Back