Masks in some salons?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xLeeann

Reaction score
I get my nails done this Saturday and the salon I go into (it's a nail only salon, the ones you walk in with no appointment) and they wear masks, I thought this was totally normal until joining here and just seeing someone mention it's not, why is this? Should I find elsewhere? I also find they last looking nice about 1-2 weeks at tops, is this normal I thought it was?x

Thank you, i'll have a read :)

I'm a little confused about the fact that you have stated you are a nail professional and yet are asking this question? I got the impression that you hope to study one day but haven't begun doing so yet in which case, I'm not entirely sure you should be posting in this area of the site. Forgive me if I'm wrong.....

I get my nails done this Saturday and the salon I go into (it's a nail only salon, the ones you walk in with no appointment) and they wear masks, I thought this was totally normal until joining here and just seeing someone mention it's not, why is this? Should I find elsewhere? I also find they last looking nice about 1-2 weeks at tops, is this normal I thought it was?x

Here's something to ponder; if they are wearing a mask and do NOT offer you one, that is a HUGE RED FLAG! Run, don't walk, to your nearest on the up and up salon! :)

Here's something to ponder; if they are wearing a mask and do NOT offer you one, that is a HUGE RED FLAG! Run, don't walk, to your nearest on the up and up salon! :)

Totally agree! I got my nails done at a certain place near by and they always wore masks! I just thought it was because of the amount of dust they encounter on a day to day basis, since they are sooooo busy. Since becomming a nail professional myself, I realize that there really isn't a lot of dust created! Yes, there is some dust. But, I haven't felt the need to wear a mask, aside from the first week! I wore a mask in the beginning because I thought it was normal. Haha.

I'm not a nail professional I havn't stated that anywhere... I start a beauty therapy course in September, I posted here to get the answer from someone who would know...a professional lol, I wasn't aware I couldn't do that, my appologies I won't post again!

I never really thought about that but your right they never offered me one I actually foolishly thought they wore them because of dust from filing haha I'm gonna get a recommendation from the lady who does my spray tan :)

I'm not a nail professional I havn't stated that anywhere... I start a beauty therapy course in September, I posted here to get the answer from someone who would know...a professional lol, I wasn't aware I couldn't do that, my appologies I won't post again!

I never really thought about that but your right they never offered me one I actually foolishly thought they wore them because of dust from filing haha I'm gonna get a recommendation from the lady who does my spray tan :)
Your profile states that you are trained in: nails, beauty, tanning, waxing, make-up, brow and lash treatments. If you look at the bottom of any post you have made, it says that you are a professional in these areas. If this is incorrect, you really ought to amend your profile: go to settings at the top right of the page, click your profile and then alter what you have been trained in.

If you aren't a professional, we have a forum for you - the consumer forum. You can still post and professionals will answer you. Hope your course goes well.

Does it? Oh haha no I'm not I don't know what's happened there and i can't even see it anyway it doesn't show up on mobiles! Yahoo answers it'll be in the future I think thanks lol

No need to go to Yahoo answers - you're still perfectly welcome on the site, it's just that we have different forums for qualified and non-qualified people.

Please don't tar all mask wearers with the unprofessional brush! I used to always wear a mask as I am asthmatic and became very sensitive to the dust getting constant sinus infections and even nose bleeds (and yes I was taking all precautions, working in a ventilated area, using quality products etc etc). I did some research and started using solar oil while filing which made a huge difference and I stopped wearing a mask, although I do every now and then when I have a flare up. Its not always a sign of unprofessionalism or shoddy products.

I don't think anyone was implying that all mask wearers are unprofessionals, it was just that the original thread poster had implied that she frequented NSS salons that's all.

Sorry if I missed the point on this one a little, but I do get a little defensive about this subject as I've had clients assume you must use "dangerous" products if you wear a mask, because they've been told so by other nail techs. Just wanted to say masks aren't always a bad sign, thats all :p

Masks are a precautionary measure for all nail techs but not compulsory, it is the preference of the nail tech to decide if they need one or not but. Yes some nail bars using mma products which they shouldnt be all wear masks therefore people make assumptions, but i would be more worried about hygiene procedures, products used, do they sanitise handa before treatment, do you get consultation etc.that is what is important. As a client you do not need a mask as you are not exposed to the filing dust as much as the nail tech.

Latest posts

Back