'Mates rates'

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellishairbeauty

Reaction score
As a self employed hairdresser and beautician i try to stick to my set prices on my pricelist.
I dont charge my mom, dad, brother and boyf at all. When friends and family do me favours i.e give me a lift somewhere, give me something useful i always try to knock a little off there treatment or throw them in a complomentary cond treatment. I have 15 aunties and uncles in total plus there wives/husbands then there children and there childrens husband/wives so as u can tell they amount to over 50% of my client base.

My 1 hairdresser friend doesnt charge any of her friends and family for anything (including colours) and another of my hairdresser friend charges all friends and family for everything full price, including her mom dad brothers and sister.

It would be interesting to know what your opinion is on 'mates rates' :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't do many freebies, maybe a small bit of waxing for my mum... My mum and sis pay for products ( I do beauty) and then all my other friends and family get 20% off my actual prices xx

I started lettin people have cheap services like really cheap but got nothin back in return! Got so infuriating so iv told all friends I'm charging 25% off normal prices, I still struggle asking for that but trying to stick to it from now on!

On the hair extension front - if they are family, i only ask for the hair and petrol to be covered so my time is free.

Immediate family are free unless it's colours. I just get them to pay for the products. Mates I give a discount

Yes we give special "friends rates" to students who we've trained previously.:biggrin:

Billy no mates, me! :wink2:

I practiced brow treatments on my mum and then did them for her birthday and now she just expects them doing all the time for nothing! :/

I'd never charge my mum! Everyone else 20% off x

My mum used to pay because she knew we were struggling, so it was her way of helping us out. I didn't charge her, but she would give me money.

I don't do mates rates and never have. It can be a very thin line between who is and isn't a mate. My best friend comes to me, and has done for years and pays full whack. She would have a go at me if I offered a discount. Her husband has his own business, so I think she understands that if she comes to me and only paid 50%, she's taking the place of someone who pays 100%.

I occasionally do an introductory offer, and would encourage friends to come and try a treatment and give me feedback, but when the price goes up, it goes up for everybody.

I'll be doing an introductory offer on intimate waxing soon, but lots of my mates want that done already. I will see them in a whole new light!!!

I don't charge my family for things that don't use product. For my mum and mother in law, I do their colour for free, because they have done so much for myself and my husband (not just raising us, but more recently - like paying for most of our wedding and our honey moon and helping us with our house deposit etc) I couldnt charge our mums after all that.

I have a small group of very close friends from highschool. Before I worked for myself I used to say "If I come to you for a hair cut then it's $10 but if you come to me, dont worry about it". That was while I was still training.
Now I'm out on my own I say $10. The point to make here is that none of them have ever paid me less than $25 (more than my full price in salon) except one of them.

Everyone else is full price unless I've put a special on.

I'm doing a ladies hair across the road on Saturday. I should probably charge her about $140 for her service, but her husband is a tradie and I might need some worl doing soon, so I'm knocking $20 off for her.

Its all about making sure things are fair for me, and at the end of they day, that I'm not out of pocket.

Latest posts

Back