MD and problem skin

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annemarie

CND Grand Master tech
Reaction score
Hello All
I have just got a microdermabrasion machine into my salon and was after some advice.
I have a 15 year old male client with problem skin. He has breakeouts on his nose and chin. His cheeks and forehead and everywhere else on his face seem fine, no enlarged pores or dryness.
I use the Eve Taylor products for all my other facials and retail also.
I want to help him get the best results for his skin and have advised him to have a course of 10-12 MD treatments.
My question is this
What can I advise him to use to maintain the results inbetween treatments?
I was going to suggest the Eve Taylor balancing wash, toner and cream but was wondering if this would be suitable as I don't want to dry his skin out. Do you think he would be better using balancing wash, soothing toner and soothing cream while he is having the course I have also advised him to use solar shield every day
Sorry for all the questions but as you can tell I'm new to MD.
Thanx in advance:)

I use dermalogica and for a teen with mirco would maybe say clean start range but deffo skin hydrating masque. I know this is prob not helpful to you product wise, but something to keep hydrated without being oily and something to really cleanse the skin! Teenage boys never follow my instructions :(

I also found out something interesting a couple of years back, breakouts on boys can be from an increase in testosterone. So either if he's just become sexually active or a big increase in sexual activity. Obviously something you can't really address but something to thing about !!

Aww Thanx for the help. I was thinking of hydration for the skin. Hopefully some Eve Taylor geeks will see this and be able to advise me also.:)

Aww Thanx for the help. I was thinking of hydration for the skin. Hopefully some Eve Taylor geeks will see this and be able to advise me also.:)

I think you would be better off retailing Soothing Cleanser, Soothing Toner, Face oil no.3, and Soothing Lotion as i find clients with any sort of combination skin prefer it's texture over the cream.

MD can irritate/dry the skin so the Soothing line combats this. The Face Oil no.3 would be my absolute #1 i would tell him not to leave without as this will help tremendously on the breakout areas.

Hope this helps! :)

For the first 2-3 days after mdb it is all about soothing and calming the skin and so the soothing products would be great for this.
After those initial days the balancing will be fine. Its not going to dry his skin out at all. Combine it with No3 but only after the initial 3 days as the E/O content could irritate freshly mdb'd skin.

If you retail the balancing to him, why not give him the travel sized soothing cleanser/toner/lotion as part of it.
And if he agrees why not take photot's at each stage and use as a case study?

Brilliant. Thank you bothe. I was hoping you would see my post Mathew as I was going to pm you. I have sold out of some of the soothing range but have just put an order in. Will let you know how he gets on over the coming weeks. :D

Just seen this post and wanted to jump in - I'm not sure which machine you're using, and what your trainer has said, but at Carlton we never recommend using microdermabrasion on someone with active pustular breakouts. It's too harsh, and can cause the pustules to break, spreading the infection and causing scarring.

For a skin like this I would be more inclined to recommend desincrustation and iontophoresis, with direct high frequency. (All of which can be completed with Eve Taylor products very nicely)

It's difficult to assess without seeing the clients skin, and as I say, your trainer may have told you differently, but just thought I would put my tuppence worth in...

Just seen this post and wanted to jump in - I'm not sure which machine you're using, and what your trainer has said, but at Carlton we never recommend using microdermabrasion on someone with active pustular breakouts. It's too harsh, and can cause the pustules to break, spreading the infection and causing scarring.

For a skin like this I would be more inclined to recommend desincrustation and iontophoresis, with direct high frequency. (All of which can be completed with Eve Taylor products very nicely)

It's difficult to assess without seeing the clients skin, and as I say, your trainer may have told you differently, but just thought I would put my tuppence worth in...

I totally agree with this advice. Why would you want to perform MDA on an infected and compromised skin and risk making the problem even worse??

I have a couple of clients with acne and find that a deep galvanic cleanse, the correct products, a good old steam and extract and finishing off with blue light and Iontopherisis really helps to dry up and keep acne under control.

HTH
PB
x

Thanks for the advice. He hasn't got active acne. Just the usual teenage skin. I did proceed with care and checked that he had no pustules as I was advised to avoid those if he did. He did however have a lot of blackheads and some dryness on his chin.

Hi Annemarie, thanks for clarifying, your OP says he has breakouts on nose and chin, I assumed these were pustular and more wiedspread - my apologies!! As long as you're avoiding them then no problems! (So difficult to tell without a picture!!) :D
xx

Latest posts

Back