Mentor please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emzielou

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I wanted a bit of advice really as I am feeling a little nervous. I am at the point of purchasing a beauty salon that is currently loosing money.

I don't have a beauty qualification but had a strong business background and beauty has always been something that I have wanted to get into but I'm sure you know what it's like - when you start a job it's hard to take a step back and go back to studying. Anyway I have found a place I love but it is very very badly run and as a result making a serious loss - marketing is a big thing I know I will need to concentrate on but I guess I am panicking a little as it is just such a big life change for me. We have a house etc and I am having sleepless nights of what if etc.

I think what I am wanting to know is should I study an nvq to get myself in the know whilst running the salon , or simply focus on the business and leave te beauticians to it?

The other thing I am panicking about is what if I can't do it... I know I can turn businesses around in the work I do but there are so many beauty salons out there I am just scared I can't compete! The fear well and truly setting in

I know there are some really experienced people on here and I was wondering if anyone would be happy to act as a mentor in their spare time for me with regard to questions / support . This is something I feel I really need as I am always one for asking for help when I need it and I have a feeling I will need it this year!!

Please help!

Hiya,

I may be able to help if you are looking for training as I teach beauty so DM me if you would like some more info on that. In my opinion I would get yourself a qualification yes, for the simple reason you could end up over spending if you just trust the therapist decision (which I have done in the past) they don't have the same financial interest as you therefore will be quicker to spend money where it may not actually be necessary to do so.

Also if you have a complaint it doesn't look very professional if the client was referred to the manager and you didn't actually know enough about the treatment to explain what may haave gone wrong and why.

I also think you will get more respect from your employees if you know the role of a beauty therapist as they will be looking up to you for advice, hints tips, new techniques. I think it is imperative to know the business you own inside out, that's just my opinion.

Hope I can help :)

Hiya,

I may be able to help if you are looking for training as I teach beauty so DM me if you would like some more info on that. In my opinion I would get yourself a qualification yes, for the simple reason you could end up over spending if you just trust the therapist decision (which I have done in the past) they don't have the same financial interest as you therefore will be quicker to spend money where it may not actually be necessary to do so.

Also if you have a complaint it doesn't look very professional if the client was referred to the manager and you didn't actually know enough about the treatment to explain what may haave gone wrong and why.

I also think you will get more respect from your employees if you know the role of a beauty therapist as they will be looking up to you for advice, hints tips, new techniques. I think it is imperative to know the business you own inside out, that's just my opinion.

Hope I can help :)

Thanks for your response and advice . Is your training the one day training ? I thought about doing this but I read a number of posts and the other geeks tend to advise to do an nvq instead so not sure what to do there? But I do agree I need to know what I am talking about to have any credibility I guess

I have a chain of salons all with top awards, I would do some short courses to get some knowledge and hire a manager with alot of experience who you can go to with anything you may not understand. Then I would focus on the salons reputation,a refurb and launch night is always a great idea! Feel free to pm me I will happily help you through xx

I have a chain of salons all with top awards, I would do some short courses to get some knowledge and hire a manager with alot of experience who you can go to with anything you may not understand. Then I would focus on the salons reputation,a refurb and launch night is always a great idea! Feel free to pm me I will happily help you through xx

Hi Sammy - thanks do much for this - so as an experienced salon owner would you say the short courses are good enough?

Yes but you need one preferably approved by bibtac and with a tutor who has a good reputation, not all short courses are bad. But some are....don't be going to salon services etc x

If you go on the bibtac website, they have a list there.

If you go on the bibtac website, they have a list there.

I have started looking and the gateway courses seem quite good? Or the Carlton institute - its just so hard!

Personally I think only trained beauty professionals should run salons. So if I was you I would do the training - your staff will respect you more not to mention your clientele :)

Personally I think only trained beauty professionals should run salons. So if I was you I would do the training - your staff will respect you more not to mention your clientele :)

I disagree, I have been a therapist for over 12 years and Aslong as someone has a good business head and alot of common sense they will do just fine in any business. Knowledge obviously helps but can be learnt along the way. My business partner knows nothing about beauty but is great at business development and had learnt everything else along the way x

I agree that you don't necessarily need to be fully qualified to make a successful business in the beauty industry. However!! I would say employ a manager (or a beautician who has years of experience) to help you out. I've learnt from my boss who opened a hair salon knowing nothing about it, and have witnessed a lot of mistakes along the way.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

I agree that you don't necessarily need to be fully qualified to make a successful business in the beauty industry. However!! I would say employ a manager (or a beautician who has years of experience) to help you out. I've learnt from my boss who opened a hair salon knowing nothing about it, and have witnessed a lot of mistakes along the way.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

This is exactly why i am hoping for some sort of mentor to help me with any queries etc along the way to hopefully use their knowledge to learn and minimize the mistakes!

I think also I need this as the business has now closed and so I will be doing a big re launch but it was in such a bad way I really need the help

i agree that if you have a good business head you should be able to muddle thru starting a business..........

however, if you are not qualified how do you know what are the best products/services to offer and why would you want to rely on someone elses opinion for these answers??
  • if it is your business surely should come from you??
  • also if you have never worked in another salon and seen the good and bad ways of running one how can you know that you are offering something better/different??
  • how will you know what your USP is?
    if you employ a manager and she decides to leave what will you do then?what if she takes all her ideas and opens up on her own nearby??
    how will you know how to work out your comapny daily and hourly rate and kniow how to work out price lists??
    how can you train therapists and expect them to respect you??

Im not trying to put you off just pointing out that you are not only going to have to learn how to run a business ie books/accounting etc but also learn all the beauty business and staff, its alot to take on and not many succeed without knowledge xx
[/LIST]

however, if you are not qualified how do you know what are the best products/services to offer and why would you want to rely on someone elses opinion for these answers??
  • if it is your business surely should come from you??
  • also if you have never worked in another salon and seen the good and bad ways of running one how can you know that you are offering something better/different??
  • how will you know what your USP is?
    if you employ a manager and she decides to leave what will you do then?what if she takes all her ideas and opens up on her own nearby??
    how will you know how to work out your comapny daily and hourly rate and kniow how to work out price lists??
    how can you train therapists and expect them to respect you??
[/LIST]

I agree.
I also think that you are asking for perhaps looking for something other than a mentor.
A mentor wont give you answers, they are simply there to help you realise your potential. This means that they won't be able to answer some of the questions that Souz raises. You run the risk that they tell you their opinions but, what makes them right and most importantly, right for your salon?

You probably also need to think about what your expectations are from the person you are asking to be your 'mentor'. Bearing in mind this is (I'm guessing) something you want free of charge then you need to consider how much time you expect from them. If you think that this is something that you might need quite a lot of time around then perhaps its worth approaching a professional mentoring/coaching company/individual and then use the generous geek offers you've had as an extra......

Latest posts

Back