Messy sidewalls

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joingram87

Reaction score
Hiya,

I was hoping any of you may have some tips or tricks I could steal! :)

I have just started with shellac ad I do want me to on a shellac attack but my ambassador isn't currently at work and I'm waiting for someone to cover her area until she comes back.

I sometime have problems when I do the sidewalls. I know there are several threads and videos which i have read/watched and I can't say it's because I'm not removing all the cuticle as i can see the nails it happens to that do have cuticle still on the plate(if that make sense) as it's bumpy, but it happens on nails that's ate completely free from cuticle but still aren't a sleek line.

Keep it thin to win and I try- could my brush be too dry maybe so the shellac is 'dragging' causing an uneven edge?

And why causes bubbles as you brush the shellac down the nails? Is that me being too heavy handed?

I still have good results but need to work on my edges to make them perfect - hope there is a shellac attack course soon as I need it lol.

Any thoughts would be great, thank u :)

Jo xxx
Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

I wish I could help but would like to know these answers too! Shellac is turning into my most popular treatment!

Let's hope we can find some as mine too :)

Jo xxx

Do you use a curette? I find this invaluable for scrapping cuticles of the sidewall.

Yeh I do :) I get so much more cuticle using it

Jo xxx

Hi! I m so with you! i seem to always get it!! even when there doesn;t seem to be any cuticle there!! It looks naff sometimes i have to say!! Think its a case of practice, i seem to put that down to everything. (still getting bits in the base coat lol) xx

Hahaha me too! I'm thinking my double ended pusher may be a bit sharp because I'm sure I scratch the nail plate sometimes even though an so careful :( *sobs*

Practice practice practice! But it never seems to get any less messier! I could sere improvement with my l+p and gel but not this!

Jo xxx

http://www.facebook.com/FingerNailFixer?sk=app_2392950137
Take a look at this link, the 4th video regarding basecoat answers this.

You need to apply your basecoat as if it were a colour coat as if the sidewalls on your base are a mess then the colour will be too.
You also need to ensure your pep is up to scratch, if there is oil or cuticle along the side wall that will cause it to be imperfect too.

Last edited:
afraid i can't get the link to work

sorry, should be better now? x

FingerNailFixer | Facebook
Take a look at this link, the 4th video regarding basecoat answers this.

You need to apply your basecoat as if it were a colour coat as if the sidewalls on your base are a mess then the colour will be too.
You also need to ensure your pep is up to scratch, if there is oil or cuticle along the side wall that will cause it to be imperfect too.

I have seen that 1 before, think I will pay it another visit at lunch time to refresh. I know I need to paint the base as a colour and smoothly in a straight line just cant seem to, and I know when cuticle is still on the plate as it goes bumpy rather than jaddered and messy. Maybe I should just practice more with regular polish to help perfect the edges? x

Getting the base coat right will really help with this problem. If the base coat is not completely smooth down the sides then neither will the next coats be. Use the light as much as possible to see where the base has and hasn't covered, move the nail around in the light. We know it has to be thin to win but not too thin. Make sure you have enough product on your brush for it to glide and not drag. Pull the lateral walls right back to give you room to manoeuvre!! I apply the base coat abit slower than all the other coats because to me the foundation is the all important part of getting a good finish. If you get the base coat right then all the other coats are much easier and quicker xx

I'm doing my mum tonight so I will have a damn good and take my time to really check what I'm doing and lay the base on smoothly and straight.

I think I may need to swap my pusher because I'm sure I'm scratching the nail with it no matter how gentle I am with it (could be the angle I hold it that makes it scratch?), has anyone else ever had a bit of a rough pusher?

Jo xxx

let us know how it goes! xx

So I did mums last night...

I have to say I went in armed with my pusher and curette and CA as normal. I made damn sure that the cuticle was all gone from side Walls and I applied the base smooth and sleek and straight!!!! Having said that there were still some 'bits' in the base but my colour applied so much better. Could still be neater but hey-haven't been doing it that long so it will improve as time goes by.

Thank u for all the tips thy have been left, will continue tonier them and hopefully will see more improvement each set and eventualty all the 'bits' in base will be non existent! :)

Jo xxx

Seems every time it gets better! I also did a set today, although still takes well over an hour they looked alot better! I made sure the base was as neat as a red, it made a big difference. And really shaking it like the colours also helped although like you a few little bits found their way in!!

XX

Yeh everytime it gets better :) I did another set tonight and saw another improvement. I now only use the plastic backed round pads to finish after top coat. I use gauze wipes from s2 for everything else and I don't have as much fluff and bits left inter nail plate that I can't see until afterthe colour is on. Does that make sense? Lol

Keep at it! Were doing good! =D

Jo xxx

I'm doing the shellac attack course it's not expensive and I think it will fix my probs!

I want to do it-I really do but like I've said my EA isn't at work at the moment and there isn't anyone covering the area yet. :( I keep checking with s2 though so hopefully I will be able to go soon. How much is it? I forgot to ask them last time I range. Silly me.

Jo xxx

Have to say i love the OPI lint free pads, i find them better that the s2 ones. just a personal choice really. Although wished i d used the hands down today has my newly applied hollywood is not so great after having to remove lots of dark polish!!!!!!! x

Latest posts

Back