Metallic nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm confused, if Sarah R's used a no wipe tack free top coat then what do the glitter dusts stick to?? Looks amazing though, thanks for sharing the video x

Pretty sure she burnished into the inhibition layer of the black, and then applied the no wipe top coat :)

Thanks for sharing the video! I have everything on hand to try this now, apart from an eyeshadow applicator - off to rummage through my make-up box to see if I can turn one up... ooh, exciting!

Pretty sure she burnished into the inhibition layer of the black, and then applied the no wipe top coat :)

Thanks for sharing the video! I have everything on hand to try this now, apart from an eyeshadow applicator - off to rummage through my make-up box to see if I can turn one up... ooh, exciting!
I watched it again and I think you're right. Just confused me how she said it's important to use a wipe free top coat so I assumed she'd used it at the time she said about it before using the glitter.
Doesn't take much to confuse me though :confused:

Apparently she applies it to the cured non stick topcoat with that applicator

I watched it again and I think you're right. Just confused me how she said it's important to use a wipe free top coat so I assumed she'd used it at the time she said about it before using the glitter.

It needs to be a topcoat that leaves no sticky layer, referred to as no wipe topcoat. About 48 seconds in she says it's needs to be no wipe. If you rub it in to the dispersion layer it will just look like glitter. It's he smooth surface and smoothing application method that creates the chrome affect.

She also used no wipe topcoat after but any version will do.

I'm confused, if Sarah R's used a no wipe tack free top coat then what do the glitter dusts stick to?? Looks amazing though, thanks for sharing the video x

I've watched the video by wildflower who sell the chrome powder and also some other pigments similar to Magpie 2faced dusts and she says that no wipe topcoat doesn't have a despertion layer but does leave a film which the dust will adhere to.

Thanks for clarifying Coco and Trinity - I'd thought it was the applicator making a difference by burnishing the glitter more thoroughly than a brush!

I did have a go at a few swatches, but none came out particularly 'chromey' because.... wrong process and whatnot. On the plus side, I did learn that mermaid glitter and Spectraprism both burnish beautifully so it wasn't an entirely wasted session :)

Last edited:
Me either - sorry for leading you astray! Serves me right for watching once and thinking I'd taken it all in :oops:

Loads of magpie ladies are confused asking about the application lol

Everyone's gone chrome crazy

Thank you for clearing that up :)

I tried it this morning with the gel bottle no wipe topcoat. It didn't work :(

I'm going to try it with Gelish Dry Armour... And I've seen someone using a makeup sponge like what you used to get in the collection 2000 eyeshadow sets!!

I think everyone needs to calm down lol
Women are really losing it with this craze

Some are saying to use your finger to rub it in but some are saying to wear gloves mental oriental

What's funny is so far none of my clients are remotely interested in this craze, not even the younger ones who like nail art. Seems to me it's nail techs who are clamouring for this look more than anything. Little magpies that we are :rolleyes:

What top coat has anyone managed to do this with? X

I've been playing today I'm nearly there lol with the lovely magpie ladies help I use gelish prep apply colour cure and the top coat (can be gelish ) and cure wipe away tacky layer with a lint free wipe and apply magpie pigment with and eyeshadow applicator then top coat again (sometime I repeat so 2 layers) then finish I love them
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1466629117.668082.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1466629143.347662.jpg

Not the best pictures but you get the idea X

Was going to mention Sarah R video with the magpie dusts you but me to it! I need to buy a no wipe top coat though, any recommendations?
It works without too. Check the magpie beauty FB page for more info

Ive been using a set of metallic dusts i got from the place im training with and they work just as well - it seems any metallic cosmetic dust will work if applied properly - and a normal top coat works if u use a dry lint-free wipe to wipe off the sticky layer then apply the dust with the eyeshadow brush!

Latest posts

Back