Metallic salt test positive professional colour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dani88

Reaction score
Hello,

I was training in salon today learning some theory and we were told about a metallic salt test using some bleach and ammonia (using alkaline perm lotion). As I'm the only girl we tested a piece of my hair and the solution got hot, began to bubble and the hair later began to disintegrate.

I have a hairdresser who is also my sister in law and is a former salon owner, that has done my hair for 4 years (3 years in salon she is now freelance) she uses loreal colours from salons direct but I'm unsure which one but I have seen the tubes and small boxes etc and had my hair coloured a couple of days ago and seen her using loreal tubes mixing the colour up.

I haven't used a box dye for nearly 10 years and haven't dyed my hair for a couple of years before she started 4 years ago.

I had a dip dye which hasn't completely grown out, it was blonde and I used crazy colour and directions a couple of times over the blonde but don't think these would have metallic salt in??

Does anyone know why or how this is possible as everyone looked at me today as if to say I'd either dyed my own hair with a box dye or my hairdresser had used a box dye and I was mortified!

They said in the salon that if it were professional dyes then it would not have reacted to show metallic salt and I know 100% its professional dyes for the last 4 years.

Sorry for the long post, any info would be greatly appreciated 😊

Last edited:
What shampoo do you use?
Do you use dry shampoo at all?
Do you go to a gym/wash your hair anywhere that the water might have copper(?) in it? Or well water? X

What shampoo do you use?
Do you use dry shampoo at all?
Do you go to a gym/wash your hair anywhere that the water might have copper(?) in it? Or well water? X

I use Aussie shampoo, conditioner and 3 min miricle and argan oil when blow drying. I do use dry shampoo but not after my hair was washed last night. I asked them if it could be in shampoos or hair sprays etc and they said no only box dyes.

I've edited the post to say I had used directions and crazy colour which i completely forgot about when it was dip dyed which has now been covered but hasn't completely grown out but searched the Internet and don't think it has metallic salt in.

As for water in my area I wouldn't have a clue :/.

Very strange and embarrassing! Lol x

It has been known to happen from things other than box colours.
If you do a search theres a couple threads where people have discussed it.
I'd look into the water as this is a common cause.
Did you do the dipdye yourself. The blonde part i mean? Was that a home blonde? X

It has been known to happen from things other than box colours.
If you do a search theres a couple threads where people have discussed it.
I'd look into the water as this is a common cause.
Did you do the dipdye yourself. The blonde part i mean? Was that a home blonde? X

No that was all done in salon, I only ever did the directions or crazy colour myself in between appointments, my sister in law would kill me if I got a box dye or attempted to bleach my own hair lol. Must be the water then, think I might test some of my boyfriends virgin hair and see if it gets the same result.

Thank you for your response :)

I think it's the Aussie shampoo and treatments, how long have you been using it for? X

I'd try using a cleansing shampoo and try again in a few weeks, I'm not a fan of Aussie at all I've had a few problems in the past with it creating a barrier over the hair x

Think I have found out what it is. I have a shampoo by montibel.lo its a treat brown reflect Bain shampoo and is a colour shampoo. I only use it every now and then and I have used it 2 or 3 times in last fortnight as I was due a colour so tried to get something from this to keep me going until I got my hair done, anyway an ingredient is magnesium chloride which I have looked up and is a metallic salt!

I have just searched through ingredients of all shampoos, dry shampoos etc and remembered I had used this, didn't realise until reading it that it was a colour shampoo :/

Think I have found out what it is. I have a shampoo by montibel.lo its a treat brown reflect Bain shampoo and is a colour shampoo. I only use it every now and then and I have used it 2 or 3 times in last fortnight as I was due a colour so tried to get something from this to keep me going until I got my hair done, anyway an ingredient is magnesium chloride which I have looked up and is a metallic salt!

Scary isnt it! They should have a warning on.
I think there should be a thread on here with all things people have found to react. Im lucky enough it hadnt haven't to me X

Well think I'm back to the drawing board, my hairdresser said she uses wella koleston on my brown (which was tested) and loreal majicontrast on my bleach section (under fringe and on one side) and she said the same as the salon that it won't be the shampoo :/

Think ill dig out some old extensions and put dye, the shampoo and crazy colour/ directions eacg on a different section and test them all lol!

Well think I'm back to the drawing board, my hairdresser said she uses wella koleston on my brown (which was tested) and loreal majicontrast on my bleach section (under fringe and on one side) and she said the same as the salon that it won't be the shampoo :/

Think ill dig out some old extensions and put dye, the shampoo and crazy colour/ directions eacg on a different section and test them all lol!

I think its most likely the shampoo or the water.
Shampoos have been known to create a reaction so i don't see why not x

She's saying it won't be the shampoo but what does she think it is then? :) I'm 99% sure if you cut out the Aussie use a deep cleansing shampoo such as sensi balance and retest the salts will be gone . It definitely won't be your colour x

She's saying it won't be the shampoo but what does she think it is then? :) I'm 99% sure if you cut out the Aussie use a deep cleansing shampoo such as sensi balance and retest the salts will be gone . It definitely won't be your colour x

I don't think she is sure either, only had a brief conversation because she is away. I will give the cleansing shampoo a go, thank you :)

Hi,
just an idea but have you EVER used a product caused 'sun in'? even if it was years ago as these products can react in an incompatibility test and the only way to get rid is to grow it out as far as im aware.

Hope you get to the bottom of it, I recently put a colour on mine recommended by a fellow hairdresser and it killed the porosity and the condition :(

Hi,
just an idea but have you EVER used a product caused 'sun in'? even if it was years ago as these products can react in an incompatibility test and the only way to get rid is to grow it out as far as im aware.

Hope you get to the bottom of it, I recently put a colour on mine recommended by a fellow hairdresser and it killed the porosity and the condition :(

No never used that before but I was all blonde about a year ago and was using blonde shampoo etc

Think I'm going to try a cleansing shampoo. When I thought in about the Aussie shampoo, I bought my last batch from a discount shop and when I first used it thought my hair feels a lot dryer than usual when I have used these before and it was moisturising shampoo, loquacious long conditioner and take the heat 3 min miracle?! I just ignored it tho and carried on which I shouldn't have, but u do hear stories of 'fake' brands in cheaper shops. This shop is a chain but my hair has felt different.

Of course it's the Montibel-lo shampoo you've been using. It actually states in the ingredients it contains Magnesium Chloride.

You should feel chuffed that you figured this out and perhaps recommend your SIL takes some chemistry lessons. ;-)

That's another reason why strand tests are so important. Imagine if you were an ordinary client and had truthfully answered 'No' to questions about using box dyes and a hairdresser had then used a professional colour all over resulting in severe breakage. You, the client would have been wrongly blamed.

Did u by any chance have any glitter in your hair, or have you used glitter spray for a night out lately?!?! It causes this reaction!!!! And in fact even if you had it in weeks ago, and there was any remnants... At least you did that test, and found out there is something afoot !!

Of course it's the Montibel-lo shampoo you've been using. It actually states in the ingredients it contains Magnesium Chloride.

You should feel chuffed that you figured this out and perhaps recommend your SIL takes some chemistry lessons. ;-)

That's another reason why strand tests are so important. Imagine if you were an ordinary client and had truthfully answered 'No' to questions about using box dyes and a hairdresser had then used a professional colour all over resulting in severe breakage. You, the client would have been wrongly blamed.

I think the montibel lo shampoo is most likely too, I'm going to get rid of all my shampoos, use a cleanse shampoo then re test in a few weeks :)

Latest posts

Back