Micro links vs Bonded extensions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber-

Reaction score
I have finally saved up my pennies and want to go for a full head of extensions.
However I am having trouble deciding between micro links and bonded extensions.

I am put off by the bonded extensions because I understand excessive heat can damage the bonds, as can conditioner, hair products containing protein, and excessive water- I understand the bonds cannot be left wet. That's a lot of things that can damage them! However they seem to be more common.

Is there anything I should know about micro-links? Are there any products/ingredients I should avoid with them? Can they be combed out after washing and left to dry naturally or do they need to be blowdried at least at the roots? Also if anyone could recommend professional shampoo/conditioner/treatment for them that would be great.

Personally I prefer resin bonds. The advice about leaving hair wet is relevent to both systems as it primarily about tangling. Resin doesnt break down with water!

All ext systems can be brushed/combed, just be careful to support the root area and not yank.

Your extensionist should supply low protein shampoos and conditioners. The best one I have found is Redken smoothdown which is protein free.

A good operator will give you resin bonds that last exactly the same as microlinks. It generally comes down to the personal preference of the operator.
I do a lot of remedial ext so prefer the flexibility of resin to have smaller bonds. Microlinks are much larger than many of the bonds that I do, plus it would be quite difficult to extend a fringe with them.

Personally I prefer resin bonds. The advice about leaving hair wet is relevent to both systems as it primarily about tangling. Resin doesnt break down with water!

All ext systems can be brushed/combed, just be careful to support the root area and not yank.

Your extensionist should supply low protein shampoos and conditioners. The best one I have found is Redken smoothdown which is protein free.

A good operator will give you resin bonds that last exactly the same as microlinks. It generally comes down to the personal preference of the operator.
I do a lot of remedial ext so prefer the flexibility of resin to have smaller bonds. Microlinks are much larger than many of the bonds that I do, plus it would be quite difficult to extend a fringe with them.

Great, thanks for that. How are resin extensions with heat, could I blowdry my roots with them in? Do you need to use chemicals to remove them or do you just twist the bond til it snaps and then remove? Can the hair be re-used with resin? One last question (sorry) do you buy the hair pre-tipped or do you apply the resin and then bond with the hair while the resin is sticky?
Thank You! :D

1. Yes a drop of acetone makes the resin crumble to dust. Less stress than twisting to break bonds. You do that with monofibre.
2.yes you can blow dry and straighten. bonds are fine with heat.
3. I buy just the hair and make the bonds as I go. Thicker amounts underneath, tiny ones for weaker hair areas and areas that may show.
4. Yes the hair can be re-used the same as microlinks.

OK so I am going for a consultation tomorrow.
The extensionist is a qualified hairdresser who started freelance and built up her clientele before opening her own salon 2 years ago, it has full salon services as well as nail and beauty, and she has 10 years experience.

She does both methods so I will take a look at the bonds/micro links in person and see what I think. She does European hair which is cuticle correct and can be re-used a number of times if looked after properly so that is what I will go for. I have done an awful lot of reading here and on other sites so hopefully all will go well. I have heard all the horror stories about damage, I am going for the best extensionist I can find, and I have been wearing clip ins for 3 years and they have never damaged my hair, and so hopefully I won't need to worry.

So I had my consultation today, extensionist recommended micro-links. I am getting a full head of European hair next Saturday! Very excited!
I will pick up that Redken shampoo tomorrow in my local hairdresser's. :)

Latest posts

Back