Micro rings full head extensions - how many bonds

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carol_uk

Reaction score
I have just started doing extensions, did my training with studio58 early in the month.. I am going to attach my pics to see what you think of my 2 i have done so far which leads me onto my question.

On the first (blonde hair) I got in 6 packets, could have put more in the sides but she didnt the side bonds as they were too hard to cover with her short layers.. so we opt for less on the sides but still have some otherwise it would look silly. Client was happy with 6 and so was I.

On the second (dark hair) I only got in 5 packets. Her hair is so soft and static, and altho not fine its not thick and i just did have anyway to fit in anymore unless i went higher but i was already high enough. Didnt miss out any bonds except at the bottom where we were taught to do one miss one for 2 rows ... do you do that???
the sides I think i only done 2 or 3 rows round towards the sides, anymore and they would have been too difficult to cover.

SO MY QUESTION :) How do i fit more into a head ?! My sections of hair are matching the hair in each extension strand. What is a full head to you, is it 140 on average ??? x

Attachments

• nicola1.jpg
    nicola1.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,035
  • nicola2.jpg
    nicola2.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 906
  • nicola3.jpg
    nicola3.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,244
  • heather1.jpg
    heather1.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 1,985
  • heather2.jpg
    heather2.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 3,642
  • heather3.jpg
    heather3.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,042
Can I give some feedback? :) great work by the way just a few tweaks. I use 160-200 bonds for a full head (0.8-1gram strands xx

Thank you xx What tweaks would you suggest? Its hard to know what ur doing wrong when u dont have anyone to point it out to u :) I really wish I had some hair extension friends to compare with :(

I would love to fit that many bonds in one head but how on earth do u manage to fit so many in? xx

I use 150 minimum 1g bonds, but up to 200. I would go approx (just from what I can judge from pictures) 2 more rows up. I also put 4-5 rows on each side. You wont be able to see them if youre positioning them properly. If youre worried try finding smaller rings, copper tubes or something?

X

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Just a bit of advice, on the blonde I wouldn't use the blonde rings, use a colour that matches her roots (dark brown) and they will be a lot less noticeable xx

Thank you xx What tweaks would you suggest? Its hard to know what ur doing wrong when u dont have anyone to point it out to u :) I really wish I had some hair extension friends to compare with :(

I would love to fit that many bonds in one head but how on earth do u manage to fit so many in? xx

Here I go it's going to be a long one (please don't take offense - I honestly mean it from my heart and not to be a cow. :)

I would probably make your sections smaller they do look on the large side obviously taking too much section will lead you not being able to have as many rows/hair etc. I find an oblong rather then a square is better for both fitting more rows in and also when they have the hair up it has more freedom then a perfect square does (try a square vs oblong on a training head you'll see what I mean)

So if you can slightly tweak your sectioning you should be able to fit more in. Is say they needed a few more strands in to thicken out to help blend better and gives you more hair to play with in blending/cutting etc.

On the blonde one as the above said use the same coloured micros as the root, blonde micros are all really awkward colours and if she has darker roots when she has her hair up if one is on the verge of being visible - it will be.

Also on the blonde the hair/rings are sticking out a bit (should be straight down) this could be either the bottom of your section hasn't been pulled through as much or the micros are too close to the scalp, so what I do get my section add my ring and with one hand lightly pull the hair down insert my tip into the ring adjust and then clamp, make sure it's not sticking out.

Like I said its nothing major at all you've done a really good job seeming thought you've recently qualified just some tweaks will make it a lot better xxx

Thank you soooooooo much xx
The square sections are what we were taught to do,with no other experience i assumed its the only way, so im delighted to learn that its not and i can start trying to do oblongs !! :)

We were taught same amount of hair as the extension which is what ive tried to base it on but i see in the pic it does look like they are thicker so ill def look out for that.

The bits sticking out I noticed them in the pic but they didnt do that in real life, i was so excited about taking a pic i never brushed the hair or tried to make it sit properly i think it may be more of that. They did stress to avoid the waterfall effect in training, try my best hehe.

I have another set to fit today, the hair has just been delivered. Excited about that as its multi colours but nervous that I dont get the right effect with the colours altho i think ill do ok.
I only ordered 6 packets again, the girl has nice thick hair but its all layered so i just hope i can have it blending in properly. I have an extra packet that i have left over from my own hair so i could use that if i need more. Ohhhh wish me luck ! I wil come back on and post my results :) xx

Thank you soooooooo much xx
The square sections are what we were taught to do,with no other experience i assumed its the only way, so im delighted to learn that its not and i can start trying to do oblongs !! :)

We were taught same amount of hair as the extension which is what ive tried to base it on but i see in the pic it does look like they are thicker so ill def look out for that.

The bits sticking out I noticed them in the pic but they didnt do that in real life, i was so excited about taking a pic i never brushed the hair or tried to make it sit properly i think it may be more of that. They did stress to avoid the waterfall effect in training, try my best hehe.

I have another set to fit today, the hair has just been delivered. Excited about that as its multi colours but nervous that I dont get the right effect with the colours altho i think ill do ok.
I only ordered 6 packets again, the girl has nice thick hair but its all layered so i just hope i can have it blending in properly. I have an extra packet that i have left over from my own hair so i could use that if i need more. Ohhhh wish me luck ! I wil come back on and post my results :) xx

How did you get on with your fitting today? Hope it went well xxx

Well it went well, thank you so much for asking :)

I really enjoyed fitting them and felt more confident in fitting in more bonds and getting more round towards the front. I even felt we should have had that extra packet ! So i had some of my own that i put in, ended up around 130-140 bonds.

The colours really matched in perfectly, I put the dark brown underneath for first couple of rows, then a full row of lighter brown then rotated the lighter brown and blonde 3 to 1 then 2 to 1 towards the top ...

Does it look like its getting better? Anymore feedback? im happy to take the negatives with the positives :) xx

Attachments

• extensions2.jpg
    extensions2.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,327
  • extensions3.jpg
    extensions3.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 679
  • extensions 1.jpg
    extensions 1.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 700
Well it went well, thank you so much for asking :)

I really enjoyed fitting them and felt more confident in fitting in more bonds and getting more round towards the front. I even felt we should have had that extra packet ! So i had some of my own that i put in, ended up around 130-140 bonds.

The colours really matched in perfectly, I put the dark brown underneath for first couple of rows, then a full row of lighter brown then rotated the lighter brown and blonde 3 to 1 then 2 to 1 towards the top ...

Does it look like its getting better? Anymore feedback? im happy to take the negatives with the positives :) xx

Well done looks thicker. Like you said maybe another packet or two to thicken it out with. I'd say a little more blending too - did the cover this on your course? Xx

Oh and if your mixing shades for a more natural look you could mix the colours and retip into one (this will come when your more confident so don't worry about it too much yet) xxx

Ive read about the re tipping but i dont fancy doing that i think be more hasstle than its worth until im at a stage where im charging good prices for my time :)

There wasnt much about blending the hair on the course it was basically thrown in at the end they said blend with the razor but i run a salon so my intentions is not to cut the hair (im only qualified in barbering not ladies) and let my hairdresser blend the hair in. Hes actually quite confident in doing that but this one here the pics dont do it justice at all, looks like it needs a lot of blending but it actually didnt. I asked the client if she would like it blended in she ws happy the way it was so we said we would see how she gets on with the hair and she can pop back into the salon is she feels she would like it blended in a bit.

I would have liked some more hair in that one but she was happy with it as it was so ill advise next one to go for 7 packets and hope i fit them all in :) xx

Well done, your obviously building up confidence which is great. I love how your so fearless with colour! You obviously took on board the bond size, a little tip i have is i try to keep my bonds as wide as the ring, it gives me a guide see. I have an average of 150 bonds, but it does depend on local styles, client expectations and hair thickness but thats my average.

I agree dont be afraid to go up at the side of the head and think about your photo finish. This is my stress area and im certainly not excellent at it! But some tips is to brush brush brush her natural layer right into the middle of the extensions, you need to pull sections up and brush this way & that way but get it in ascameras pick up what you can't actually see! Also turning the ends under makes it look much more finished for photos too
I hope that helps x

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek mobile app

A lot better with the second lot! Im alot more wary of blondes as tge colour has to be spot on. I would say, again just from what I can tell from pictures, I would have put it about 180 bonds in this head. I also would have done the top 2 rows as the lightest colour to match the top of her hair.
The darker will still show through, but youd have a slightly less noticable difference if that makes sense x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Ive read about the re tipping but i dont fancy doing that i think be more hasstle than its worth until im at a stage where im charging good prices for my time :)

There wasnt much about blending the hair on the course it was basically thrown in at the end they said blend with the razor but i run a salon so my intentions is not to cut the hair (im only qualified in barbering not ladies) and let my hairdresser blend the hair in. Hes actually quite confident in doing that but this one here the pics dont do it justice at all, looks like it needs a lot of blending but it actually didnt. I asked the client if she would like it blended in she ws happy the way it was so we said we would see how she gets on with the hair and she can pop back into the salon is she feels she would like it blended in a bit.

I would have liked some more hair in that one but she was happy with it as it was so ill advise next one to go for 7 packets and hope i fit them all in :) xx

Correctly colour blending the hair is crucial for a natural finished look. If you don't want the hassle of re tipping then buy blended strands where possible. Or alternatively to get a better blend rather than stripes with strands, you could mix the colours in rows so they blend more naturally.
You wouldn't need to retip all of your strands by the way, but I would have split the dark with a light ( can't see the pic now I'm writing this)

Clients will pay for natural looking extensions, you shouldn't be able to tell where the natural hair finishes and the extensions start

It's almost like you're saying you can't be bothered to blend as you're not charging enough for the effort?

I don't mean to be rude, just honest.

You could fit the hair perfectly but if the colours don't blend the same as her natural hair then the result will always be the same for your clients " she's got extensions" which is not what clients want

If you own a salon couldn't you train someone to retip? It's easy and quite quick after some practise ;-)

I am more than bothered to match the hair, infact i put a great deal of research and thought into getting the right colour match, i just dont want to start re tipping at the moment. I wasnt taught how to re tip the itips. We were taught how to mix the Utip colours but itips so since its something im not familiar with id rather get better at what i have learned and pick up new skills later.
The colour match was really good in this, the pics maybe doesnt show it but from the colours you would never know what was her hair and what was extension hair. Models own hair was very unevenly coloured as she has been dying it herself so with all this in mind I feel i dont pretty well. (bearing in mind i dont know how to retip) The blonde colour was a mixed colour that was the 8/24 mix so that was perfect.

Thank you so much for the tips on taking a pic i will try that on my next model :) I said to the model i would like to put in another packet but shes happy as it is and think shes happy to save the money of not having to buy another packet of hair. But if i did i would def go for only the 8/24 to finish with just the blonde.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. Im trying really hard to not just do extensions but do them well. I hope I can be as good as all you are soon :) xx

It's almost like you're saying you can't be bothered to blend as you're not charging enough for the effort?

[/QUO

Just to say I am not charging anything for my effort I am making no money on the hair or on the fittings.. what I meant is Im not starting to try re tip hair when I dont charge anything at the moment and could potentially ruin hair that people are paying good money for since i dont know how to do it. I dont want to look into it until im confident with everything else. As far as i was aware re tipping hair is not essential and it wasnt taught how to do it in training, altho i do agree it must look much more natural. I would hope i can look into this sometime soon x

[/QUO

Just to say I am not charging anything for my effort I am making no money on the hair or on the fittings.. what I meant is Im not starting to try re tip hair when I dont charge anything at the moment and could potentially ruin hair that people are paying good money for since i dont know how to do it. I dont want to look into it until im confident with everything else. As far as i was aware re tipping hair is not essential and it wasnt taught how to do it in training, altho i do agree it must look much more natural. I would hope i can look into this sometime soon x

It does give a way more natural effect. Whole strands look too streaky in comparison. It's something you need to look into. Either pay someone to do it (and add on to your costs for your client to pay) or if your ever in Yorkshire I'll happily teach you :) xxx

You can buy mixed strands, euphoria do the biggest selection ive seen x

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hey I'm newly qualified in micro rings and did a ladies hair who said she always has 250- 300 1g bonds in her hair and wanted that again- however I could only fit in 150 0.8g bonds, for a full head does this sound to less or average about right??
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back