Migraines

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l.a.m.x

Reaction score
Any fellow sufferers?! Mines are making me miserable.. I would say I get one nearly every day, sometimes just a real bad headache and other times the works.

Would love to hear your stories xx

I suffer really bad when I get them. But not as often now I have got glasses. Drinking lots of water helps too. And for me imigran is a god send! Xx

I used to suffer from bad migraines, but thankfully not so much nowadays.

The best piece of advice I can offer you is to take your preferred choice of medication at the very first signs because once it gets a hold, it's much harder to shift.

Yes, keeping yourself hydrated is also very important.

Im a sufferer! Just been put on some medication which is so far so good! I think mine maybe work related, but i love my job so hopefully this will work!!
X

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

I get basilar migraines - bizarre as no headache but vertigo, dizziness and (lots of) sickness. Like the hangover from hell-24 hours long. No meds available.

Honestly, the worst part about migraines for me, is the look you get when you've had a day off sick and people just blatantly think you're skiving. Then when you find out other staff just call up and say they've had a migraine 'cos it's a really bad headache'. I just think so many people jump on the skiving bandwagon and use it as an excuse! Sorry to butt in xx

I've had all types of meds to stop them coming on but none of them have helped :-( I've narrowed down the triggers to tiredness, stress or certain scents/perfumes can trigger one almost instantly.

I don't think people who dont suffer can really identify with the burden or misery a migraine can bring. I am also wondering if they are hereditary as my parents suffer too..? I'm wondering, too, if there will ever be any prevention for me, or if taking the medication ASAP is going to be as good as it gets?!

Xx

I suffer with migraines really bad, they make me vomit, can't look at light, tv screen, computer or anything, make me feel all weak and dizzy. Oh the pain lol. Get them probably 3/4 times a month, especially if i eat anything with onion in, literally within 5 mins then BOOM migraine comes on! The best thing I can do is to just sleep in a dark room and take some tabs, sometimes I have to sleep 14+ just to shift it! I'm sure I've heard somewhere that it's hereditary, but I'm not sure. My sister and mum also suffer bad with them. if my mum eats cheese she gets one. Strange horrible things!
Xxx

I've had all types of meds to stop them coming on but none of them have helped :-( I've narrowed down the triggers to tiredness, stress or certain scents/perfumes can trigger one almost instantly.

I don't think people who dont suffer can really identify with the burden or misery a migraine can bring. I am also wondering if they are hereditary as my parents suffer too..? I'm wondering, too, if there will ever be any prevention for me, or if taking the medication ASAP is going to be as good as it gets?!

Xx

My mum and nan used to suffer from them too, so I think they could be hereditary too.
When I used to have migraines often (like one a week) I bought imigran and it is THE only thing that stops it in its tracks for me. My doctor prescribed me with sumatriptan which is sort of the equivalent to imigran.
Usually I'd have terrible pains like I'd been constantly hit with a hammer on my head (only way I can describe it)
Sickness, aching eyes and flashing lights in my eyes. I'd literally cry myself to sleep. And all I could do was lay on the bed with sunglasses on.
My fiancé claims to have a migraine a lot when he's working but I tell him seriously if you actually had one you would not be able to go to work as normal, i know i cant think of anything but the pain when I have one. He says I overreact when i have an attack. Haha I wouldn't wish one on anyone but I wish People could realise they are seriously painful and not 'just a headache'
Xx

I suffer with migraines really bad, they make me vomit, can't look at light, tv screen, computer or anything, make me feel all weak and dizzy. Oh the pain lol. Get them probably 3/4 times a month, especially if i eat anything with onion in, literally within 5 mins then BOOM migraine comes on! The best thing I can do is to just sleep in a dark room and take some tabs, sometimes I have to sleep 14+ just to shift it! I'm sure I've heard somewhere that it's hereditary, but I'm not sure. My sister and mum also suffer bad with them. if my mum eats cheese she gets one. Strange horrible things!
Xxx

Cheese sets mine off too, along with orange juice and red wine :( used to love red wine.
I get what you mean, I feel like I could sleep for a whole 24 hours after a migraine, they really drain you xx

Cheese sets mine off too, along with orange juice and red wine :( used to love red wine.
I get what you mean, I feel like I could sleep for a whole 24 hours after a migraine, they really drain you xx

Yeah I love red onions but can't really eat them now. Strange how different foods can trigger one. Sleeping I find is the best for one though, I have to lay on the same side of my head that is pulsating lol if that makes sense. Mines normally one side of my head. X

I suffer from migraines not as often as i use to but mine tend to triggger if the weather suddenely changes to really hot/cold. The only thing i can do to get rid of them is sleep and take tablets. I had one a few weeks ago came home from work slept on the sofa from 6 till 10 then woke up got in to bed and slept till 9 the next day:) was lovely to sleep for so long wish it was by choice though rather than a migraine!

I've been a migraine sufferer all my life. Mine start with visual disturbance which leads to complete blindness in the affected eye, then the piercing pain and sickness. It's nothing unusual for mine to last a week, and for me to take a week to recover.
Medication wise I've had the lot, seen neurosurgeons and have had MRI scans, as one severe episode last year lead to a bleed into my eye, and partial retinal detachment.

They are hereditary, my father had them, and now my son has inherited them too.
As a prevention I was taking Amytrptyline, 70mgs daily, which did work to a certain extent, but at that dose, my consultant was amazed I actually got out of bed in the morning! they did make me feel really weird.

My triggers are very bright light, particularly the sun reflecting onto glass, and butter.

Migraines can be really debilitating, and lots of people seem to think that a migraine is just a headache. I wouldn't wish them on anyone.

iv suffered really bad for about 2years now. coffee red wine cheese and chocolate r my triggers. in the beginning was very scary and sent for a brain scan as my memory was goin, nearly collapsing, whole face going tingly then numb.most horrendous headaches. eventually i was diagnosed with migraines. it took a while to get the right medication but the only thing that keep them under control and i have to take every day are amitriptyline. its an anti depressent but i only take it for the purpose of my migraines. i also have 2other sets of medication for more serious episodes. i have tried coming of the amitriptyline as advised by doc to see how i get on but they came straight bk. my symptoms usually star with a spasm type feelin in my left arm, my eyes goes funny n eentually blurred. i would not wish them on anybody x

I feel for you, they are nasty and non -suffers do not understand how painful they can be.

I have been back and forward to my GP and hospital with mine, trying various tablets. At one point I was put on anti-psychotic meds by the DR. For the migraines, not because I was psychotic! :twisted: Trying to explain that on a medical form was interesting...

As a few other posters have said Imigran is a life saver. I first got it a few years ago when you had to do a health check with a pharmacist as it had only just come off prescription only, I don't know it that is still the same. I take it when I get the first twinge with something sweet and it normally knocks me out for a few hours. I also put a hot water bottle where the pain is, whereas my sister has to have an ice pack.

Migraines are more common in women then men, so if meds are not helping, may be worth seeing if you can get your hormone levels checked as I believe they can sometimes cause migraines if they are imbalanced.

Hey yeah I used to work in a coffee shop before I became a Therapist could be if you drink coffee or dehydrated can cause a lot of head aches make sure you drink plenty of water and don't drink a lot of caffeine, hope this helps! x x

I suffered really badly with migraine the last year I worked in sales, I hated it and the stress would cause at least one a week. It got so bad I left and only get one maybe once a month. Mine cause nausea, partial blindness etc and I find the meds I was prescribed zonk me out for days on end so I take 3 ibuprofen as soon as I feel one coming and sleep it off if and where possible. People really dont understand how bad these are but I was lucky that my boss also suffered aswell so when I went that deathly white colour I go when one was coming he'd send me home as soon as. I have a question though...does anyone seem to get them more frequent when its that time of the month? X

Sent from my RACERII using SalonGeek

I don't get them much anymore but used to all the time. Pethadine injections where only thing that helped if I didn't take valerian tabs at first sign although valerian would put me to sleep. it was better to sleep than be in pain.

I never had a headache really until I was pregnant, I remember being at work trying to use the till and could not focus on my hands it was very scary then after an hour left with thumping head! They became quite frequent even after the birth, when she was two they fizzled out to one a year, now I get one maybe once or twice a year, I started a new Hrt few months ago and that set them off! It's like a clidascope vision and my hands and vision are all distorted, I came straight off them as the doctor said too! My dad and sister also suffer with them x x

I get basilar migraines - bizarre as no headache but vertigo, dizziness and (lots of) sickness. Like the hangover from hell-24 hours long. No meds available.

Honestly, the worst part about migraines for me, is the look you get when you've had a day off sick and people just blatantly think you're skiving. Then when you find out other staff just call up and say they've had a migraine 'cos it's a really bad headache'. I just think so many people jump on the skiving bandwagon and use it as an excuse! Sorry to butt in xx

Yeah this makes me furious aswell, when someone is complaining about having a migraine when it's just a severe headache. If they had a real migraine they wouldn't be standing outside in the sun, they would be probably vomiting and wearing dark glasses to block out the light.

I have one coming on now, just a baby one though but I've still got to do a rebalance before I go home. I'll be sick tonight for sure.

I've suffered since i was a toddler, but as i've gotten older (I'm 25) things have improved for me and i've learned how to cope better and my triggers.

My symptoms are, i start getting a headache (which now i can tell feels different from a normal headache) gradually it gets worse until i can't bear any light or noise and have to get to bed. If i catch it with pills or can fall asleep quickly, it isn't too awful. If not the pain is unbelievable, i try not to cry as it makes it worse and i am violently sick.

Lucky for me i've become better at think oh no this is the start of a migraine. I was advised to take paramax to stop me being sick and surprisingly it worked. You do have to take it asap otherwise you just throw it up.

When i was little i got them a lot and my trigger was being overly excited. Now my trigger is stress...proper stress not just being a bit tired, and if i've been crying then it is guaranteed to be a bad one.

My mum suffers exactly like i do.

This year for the first time i suffered like my Dad and it really freaked me out. I was at work and between clients thank god. I was looking at the appointment diary and there were black blobs everywhere and it all looked blurry. No pain and no sickness though. I had no idea what it was...had to cancel my clients and my bf had to come and get me because i really couldn't see where i was going. Later on, after talking with my dad he said this is the way he gets migraines. I would definitely prefer this to my usual one, but i've had one since and it was the norm.

I usually get the bad ones 2-3 times a year and don't have any food triggers. I also get irritated with people that use the term migraine for a mild headache xx

Latest posts

Back