Mils vs grams

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELLE BELLA

Reaction score
Don’t know if I am overthinking this !
I weigh my colours in grams
It is a fact that grams and mls are equal ie 10 mls of water = 10 grams
However ! If you are measuring tint and peroxide . Say 30g tint and 30 grams peroxide , you would think as they have different density, peroxide being a liquid and tint being denser , are they actually equal in amount ? Has anyone else ever questioned this or am I missing something ‍♀️

[Not a hairdresser but loved physics at school] Different fluids do weigh differently due to viscosity, etc. you're right, but its really hard to work out what your particular fluid equivalent would be so generally the grams/mls being equal is used. The differences would be really small if you're measuring 10/15/20ml - it probably won't make much difference. If you were working in litres or gallons it would be different. As long as you're working to the manufacturers specifications you'll be fine

Yes, it’s all about density and 1ml of water = 1g of water and peroxide is simply water with an added oxygen molecule.

Other liquids are not quite so obliging and 1g of milk for example, equals 0.971 ml.

However, as @Trinity says, the differences are negligible in small quantities so for hairdressing and home baking, 1ml = 1g.

Latest posts

Back