Mineral make up - mixed reviews?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leemac

Reaction score
Good day all

I want some opinions from fellow geeks in the know and also MUA's about mineral make up. I have always stayed clear of mineral make up as I was lead to believe from fellow therapists and also photographers that mineral make up does not photograph well. I understood the reason to be a combination of the natural light reflecting particles in the minerals and the flash from the camera not being a good combination and not giving a good finish in the photographs, hence I have always tended to stay clear and stuck to traditional makeup application.
I have been reading a lot of good reviews about mineral make up this year and from reading posts on here I can see that many experienced geeks really rate minerals. So I decided to buy some for myself to try out from Art Deco and I have to say that so far I am impressed. Nice finish and lovely coverage, not taken any pictures yet so might do that today but hate looking at my old face at the best of times lol. So my questions are this, who is using mineral make up? Do you find that it photographs well? What brands are you using? I have been reading about "pure" minerals why are these better?
I have asked a lot of questions I know, I have been wanting to put this thread up for ages. I am really looking forward to getting all the various opinions so thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.
Lee-Anne

cheeky bump :green:

From my experience mineral make-up photo's ok in natural circumstances e.g. Daylight but in a studio under heavy lighting it's not as good as traditional foundation as It tends to give a bit of flash off.

Regarding your question on 'pure' mineral make-up, as far as I'm concerned it's ONLY mineral make up if it contains only minerals if you get what I mean.

All that cack that you buy in Boots which claims to be mineral make-up contains all kinds of junk with a tiny weeny percentage of minerals just so it can jump on a retail bandwagon.

From a personal point of view I tried Bare Minerals and loved the finish (questionable regarding ingredients?) but it made my skin itch real bad because of the bismuth oxychloride contained in it. I know a therapist that stocks Jane Irdale so I'm gonna give that a whirl next time I'm over her way but I've not checked the ingredients yet.

I am a professionally trained MUA too but I never use this in my kit.

I hope this helps?

X

Last edited:
I've done a lot of research on this lately due to mineral makeup being introduced to the Fresh Indulgence range. As Sharkster said, there are a lot out there that claim to be mineral makeups, but with a real mineral makeup you should look on the back and see around only four ingredients. It should be pure and simple, containing nothing artificial whatsoever (chemicals or dyes), and of course should be 100% paraben-free because why would you need preservatives in a non-organic substance?

For these reasons they are also hypoallergenic, and sit on top of the skin rather than being absorbed by it so don't clog pores either. Coverage should be excellent and the makeup should smooth away and hide fine lines, not fall into them!

It's amazing how many so-called "mineral makeups" do NOT do the above.

I can see what you're saying about photography, and to be honest this is an issue I hadn't yet looked into (so thank you!). I would have thought that the lighting could be easily made to work perfectly with the makeup, just as you do with ordinary makeup or natural skin, by making a few adjustments. I know that the Mineral Hygienics range about to be launched by Fresh Indulgence (click here for more info) has been used on a number of celebrities in the USA (where the formula originated), so I'll find out a little more about this.

Thank you for the replies so far. I will be very interested to hear what you find out.
Lee-Anne x

Latest posts

Back