Minx Advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sue Owen

Reaction score
Hi, I recently got myself trained in how to apply Minx nails and have been practicing since then to perfect my technique before I add to my treatment menu, however, I am having difficulty getting a neat finish to the edge of the Minx wrap when I file it off. I find I have to file quite hard with the glass file to get the excess wrap to come away which always leaves a ragged edge. The tutor told us to smooth this down with a rubber hoof which I've tried but it just doesn't seem to work. Any advice or tips on how to overcome this problem would be most welcome................. Thanks!

I was also trained to use a file, but I find it so much easier to use a scissors and cut really close to the free edge. Its much quicker and easier, particularly when you don't have much free edge on toe nails. I have never had any problems applying it this way and that last for weeks and weeks.

Give it a try.

i use scissors too and the hoof stick, dont know if this is right or wrong but i smooth down with the hoof and if poss tuck really slightly under the toenail my minx have been lasting well over 6 weeks and then having to be removed so the tucking is working well for me

I use a normal 240 grit file to file off the excess and only use my glass file to tidy right at the end and sometimes I don't use it at all. I was told in my training that the glass file isn't great for using throughout the whole process because it gets all clogged with little tiny bits of the sticky Minx, I have tried both ways and have to say using a normal file, for me, works so much better and I get a nice crisp neat edge. HTH :hug:

How are you using your file btw? Are you holding it vertically and filing down as you gently pull the excess at the same time?

I use the curved Minx file as that came with my kit. I've never had any problems with it.

Thanks. I was taught to file horizontally while pulling the excess tight?

Using scissors has crossed my mind. Will give it a try!

Thanks. I was taught to file horizontally while pulling the excess tight?

Only horizontally when filing by the side walls, to get the edge neat and crisp in the middle, you should hold the file vertically but at a very very slight angle filing downward only xx

I also cut off excess with scissors and then file north to south with a normal file. No problems so far:lol:

Everyone has their own technique that works for them, it's just finding what suits you. The way I do it is how I was taught and I find it less fiddly and easy for me than cutting with scissors etc. I have a picture in my album on my profile of some snow cheetah Minx I did if the OP wants to take a look xx

from the horses mouth, ie janice from Minx, the glass file seals the edge more efectively. A 240 grit file is the next best thing.

Thanks for all the helpful advice. Have arranged another trial run on my friend's daughter next week so will try out each of your tips and see what works best for me. Will let you know how it goes!

Latest posts

Back