mission statement

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAIL FRENZY

Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to write a mission statement for my brochures. I'm not very good with words as you can probably tell if you have read any of my threads :o . Has anybody got any hints or tips that would help me put one together?

Tell us what you want to say, even if it's just a list of the things that are important to you, that you want your business to be known for - we'll have something to work from then :D

Oh you're may be sorry I replied to this - I come from a business background, having done quite a lot of stuff like this and can get really carried away!

A mission statement should be 5 things - SMART! S = Specific, M = Measurable, A = Acheivable, R = Realistic and T is Time-able (strange word, I know, but it works in this case!

So, example, a statement like

"I wanna be the best"

sounds OK, but is not any of the above, ie there is nothing specific stated you want to be the best at, there is no measure of whats is the best, so you don't know if you can acheive it, it is impossible to tell if it is realistic and there is no time against it again, in so much as measuring it!

However, this building these factors in, a mission statement would start life like this.

"We wish to supply the best quality nail treatments to all our customers, at a price they can afford, always"

It has all the SMART factors, and means something that everyone can understand.

Now, I'm not saying that this one is exciting...you probably have some great ideas of what you can build around you business, but a mission statement should be a simple statement, that you can then build a much stronger marketing statement around.

OK, so, sorry its long, and probably pretty boring, but it should help you start thinking about it in the right way and then you will come up with some great ideas yourself, which I'm sure there will be loads of geeks ready to pass opinion on!!

Hope this is useful

Lyndsay x

Oooops, just realised I have'nt said anything at all have I.

I'm home-based.
I care about my clients nails and work towards achieving high standards
Provide a safe service
Use professional, quality products.
No use of MMA.
Committed to the standards of the industry.
Member of BABTAC.

I'm sure theres more, but I just can't think :irked:

Zingara said:
Oh you're may be sorry I replied to this - I come from a business background, having done quite a lot of stuff like this and can get really carried away!

A mission statement should be 5 things - SMART! S = Specific, M = Measurable, A = Acheivable, R = Realistic and T is Time-able (strange word, I know, but it works in this case!

So, example, a statement like

"I wanna be the best"

sounds OK, but is not any of the above, ie there is nothing specific stated you want to be the best at, there is no measure of whats is the best, so you don't know if you can acheive it, it is impossible to tell if it is realistic and there is no time against it again, in so much as measuring it!

However, this building these factors in, a mission statement would start life like this.

"We wish to supply the best quality nail treatments to all our customers, at a price they can afford, always"

It has all the SMART factors, and means something that everyone can understand.

Now, I'm not saying that this one is exciting...you probably have some great ideas of what you can build around you business, but a mission statement should be a simple statement, that you can then build a much stronger marketing statement around.

OK, so, sorry its long, and probably pretty boring, but it should help you start thinking about it in the right way and then you will come up with some great ideas yourself, which I'm sure there will be loads of geeks ready to pass opinion on!!

Hope this is useful

Lyndsay x

This is really helpful and not boring at all. Its really weird, because at work or at home everybody asks me to help with letters or emails et, but when it comes to putting something together for myself, I just go a complete blank. The more important it is the worse I get :irked:

I think you're looking for a tag line rather than a mission statement - something short, and snappy. A mission statement tends to be quite long winded.

I've just looked up 'Frenzy' in the Chambers on line dictionary and it says this:-

frenzy noun (frenzies) 1 wild agitation or excitement. 2 a frantic burst of activity. 3 a state of violent mental disturbance. frenzied adj.
ETYMOLOGY: 14c: from French frenesie, from Latin, from Greek phrenesis madness; compare frenetic

so how about something like....

Nail Frenzy - Nails to be excited about!

that's assuming your business is called Nail Frenzy :lol:

I have called my business Nail Frenzy. Thanks to both of you, they are both excellent ideas, do you think it would be appropriate to do both as below?:

Nail Frenzy - nails to be excited about !

"I wish to supply quality nail treatments to all my customers, at a price they can afford, always"

I think it would be great - you have the main tag line catching the customers eye and then set their expectations below!

Good luck with it - I'm sure you'll do well

Lyndsay x

NAIL FRENZY said:
" at a price they can afford, always"

I'm not so sure about this bit

So, playing devils advocate, if I book with you and you do a full set, at the end I say 'here you go, here's a tenner, thats all I can afford today' what will you do?

Technicially your advertising says 'at a price I can afford' - it becomes a bit of a grey area with Trading Standards :confused:

What about something like:-

'affordable, quality nail treatments for all'

Trinity Nails said:
Technicially your advertising says 'at a price I can afford' - it becomes a bit of a grey area with Trading Standards :confused:

What about something like:-

'affordable, quality nail treatments for all'
good point Trin....

I like the sound of "affordable, quality treatments for all" :D

I see what you're saying, I could change it to "I wish to supply affordable, quality, nail treatments for all" maybe added with "Please see attached price list for further details" just to be on the safe side. What do you think?

Sounds good too - I really wasn't trying to make up the final statement, just use that as an example of one that would be 'technically' correct as a mission statement.

Lyndsay x

NAIL FRENZY said:
I see what you're saying, I could change it to "I wish to supply affordable, quality, nail treatments for all" maybe added with "Please see attached price list for further details" just to be on the safe side. What do you think?

That's better.....what about 'I aim to supply....' rather than 'I wish......'?

Back to the dictionary again :lol:

aim verb (aimed, aiming) 1 tr & intr (usually aim at or for someone or something) to point or direct a weapon, attack, remark, etc at them or it. 2 intrans to plan, intend or try. noun 1 what a person, etc intends to do; the achievement aimed at. 2 the ability to hit what is aimed at • good aim. take aim to point a weapon at a target so as to be ready to fire.
ETYMOLOGY: 14c: from French esmer, from Latin aestimare to estimate.

or

wish verb (wishes, wished, wishing) 1 to want; to have a desire. 2 to desire, especially vainly or helplessly (that something were the case). 3 to express a desire for (luck, success, happiness, etc) to come to someone. 4 to demand or want something, or to do something. 5 to say (good afternoon, etc) to someone. noun (wishes) 1 a desire. 2 (usually wishes) what one wants to be done, etc. 3 (wishes) a hope expressed for someone's welfare • best wishes. 4 in fairy tales and traditional ritual, etc: the stating of a desire in expectation or hope of its being magically fulfilled. wisher noun. wish someone joy of something usually ironic to wish them well of (some liability or commitment, etc that the speaker is glad to be rid of).

Aim seems a bit more.....forceful, definite......wish seems a bit......woollie.....does that make sense?

Anyway, it's your business Chick and whatever you chose will be right for you and that's all that matters :D

I know, thanks Lyndsay, you have really helped and made me think about how much thought needs to go into these things. x

Trinity Nails said:
That's better.....what about 'I aim to supply....' rather than 'I wish......'?

Back to the dictionary again :lol:

or

Aim seems a bit more.....forceful, definite......wish seems a bit......woollie.....does that make sense?

Anyway, it's your business Chick and whatever you chose will be right for you and that's all that matters :D

You're right "aim" sounds much more decisive and definite. x

Latest posts

Back