Mix tones with Kadus / Wella

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Absie

Reaction score
so im wanting to learn and understand tones better.
i now know that the lower the level/base, the higher the amount of tone...so ensuring i use the correct level now makes sense.

im now wanting to understand mix tones.

i have used them neat, with a 1:1 ratio of mix tone and developer and had great result

where im wanting to understand more..is when they are added to the base colour...so either Kadus perminent colour or Wella KP

so as an examle....

colour is 8/0
mix tone is /65

30ml of 8/0 + 1.5ml of /65 + 31.5ml of developer

but what does that give me in terms ofa number///would that be 8/65

also...moving away from special mix and onto regular colour

if you mix an 8/0 + 8/81 1:1 what does it equal....? 8/08 or 8/81 or other...?

and what abuot if you mix ....5/46 + 5/6 =...???? 5/64..?

is there a resource available that i can study...?

Ok so with special mix, the result would be an 8/065, if that makes sense. For an 8/65 you'd need to add about 7-10g per 30g of kp/kadus.

For the 8/0 and 8/81 the result would be 8/081. The 0 still has to be in the equation, you can't write a sum and discount on of the numbers.

And for 5/46 + 5/6 yeah the result would be 5/64 because you've added more units of violet.

Ok so with special mix, the result would be an 8/065, if that makes sense. For an 8/65 you'd need to add about 7-10g per 30g of kp/kadus.

For the 8/0 and 8/81 the result would be 8/081. The 0 still has to be in the equation, you can't write a sum and discount on of the numbers.

And for 5/46 + 5/6 yeah the result would be 5/64 because you've added more units of violet.
That's really helpful, thanks... I think I get it

But how do we know the /0 in the 8/0 takes presidency over the /8 in the 8/81....? In other words... Why is the /0 the major tone and the /8 the minor and presumably the /001 mini...?

The same with the 8/0 and 8/65...why is the /0 the make and not the /6
Why not 8/605....?

I'm not trying to be awkward...just trying to ensure I understand for future.

Also... Is it purely trial and error that allows you the knowledge of 7-10g of special mix per 30g
Or is there a table or formulae or a way in which to work it out...? That's almost a 3:1

For example.....

So XXg of special mix = a major tone and does xxg of special mix = a minor tone....?

Or in another way around

When the instructions say to mix 2.5g/q.5g etc according to the level.... What is this to achieve? I know it's to add that tone into the colour... But in what way does it do it .....?

I'm thinking it adds it in as a minor tone... As the 8/0 + /65 became 8/065

The /0 and /8 are balanced but obviously you can't put them in the same place. But the /0 will dilute the /81.

With the special mix its because you wouldn't be adding enough for the /6 to be dominant. It all depends on the mixture. Yes trial and error.

This is all in theory we can't really know the exact values but its the result that matters.

Yeah its minor if you're using the minimum.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1467210745.431237.jpg

That's your mixing table in koleston.

So if you don't have 8/3, then you can mix 30g 8/0 + 1.5g 0/33 to make a 8/3

Tbh, I wouldn't try and work out what the numbers are whether it's 8/0 + 8/81 would = 8/081 or 8/810 or whatever number combo you fancy.
It's much more efficient to just write how much of each shade is used and this will prevent any confusion.
Just remember that adding a neutral base will dilute the tone.

Last edited:
View attachment 198717

That's your mixing table in koleston.

So if you don't have 8/3, then you can mix 30g 8/0 + 1.5g 0/33 to make a 8/3

Tbh, I wouldn't try and work out what the numbers are whether it's 8/0 + 8/81 would = 8/081 or 8/810 or whatever number combo you fancy.
It's much more efficient to just write how much of each shade is used and this will prevent any confusion.
Just remember that adding a neutral base will dilute the tone.
THANKS for the reply.
Kadus mix tones use the same ratios as the Wella KP...butyes i did notice the colout touch were quite diferent. but dont worry....im a Kadus user mainly.

just to check...you sad a neutral base will dilute the tone...do you mean a /0 as a neutral base...? because i know they now have 7/ and 5/...?

sooooo

if i mix 90g 5/0 + 9g 0/66 + 99g pastel/1.9% developer i get 99gof 5/6...????

or

30g 10/0 +0.5g /66 + 30.5g 1.9? developer = 10/6

90g 7/0 + 6g /28 + 1.9% dev = 7/28 ( to maybe use as a toner if the hair is level 7 and orangy/yellow..?0

and lastly....

if i mix

30g 9/0 + 0.5g /33 + 0.5g /65 + 31g developer

what wld i get...

9/365 which would be more like a rose gold...?

Last edited:
Well I'm not 100% on kadus but I would presume 7/ might be a little cooler than 7/0... But that's just me presuming haha...

You don't have to add additional developer for mixer tones as far as I know. But yes 5/0 + 0/65 should make 5/65 but if you're looking for more intensity I'd deffos crank the 0/65 up abit!
Are you mixing permanent or quasi?

And the final mix, would you be applying to pre-lightened hair?

Well I'm not 100% on kadus but I would presume 7/ might be a little cooler than 7/0... But that's just me presuming haha...

You don't have to add additional developer for mixer tones as far as I know. But yes 5/0 + 0/65 should make 5/65 but if you're looking for more intensity I'd deffos crank the 0/65 up abit!
Are you mixing permanent or quasi?

And the final mix, would you be applying to pre-lightened hair?
so this is all hypathetical.....

but yes im assuming its on hair thats at the correct natural level...so no need to add in the missing tones taken out by lightening...?

i figure understand the tones first

understand the lightening curve

THEN..maybe i can try and put them together!!!!!

Lord [emoji122]

Okay... So I wouldn't tone the orange/yellow... I would colour it... So it depends on the desired result.

For example if you want 7/0 it would have to be nearer yellow and I'd do 7/0 +7/1, it will Probz be abit khaki but 7/0 can look abit that way.

If it's more on the orange side I would recommend getting it a little lighter because it'll be easier to get a flatter result that way!

Latest posts

Back