Mixing light with dark colours

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilly

Reaction score
Hi all.
Can someone answer a question about colours ???
I have been hairdressing for many years, done advanced recently BUT cant get my head round this.
I know allot of hairdressers mix, lets say for instance, half 6 with half 7, now surly the end colour would be a 6 because its a darker shade ? or would it be in between ???
I am taking over a friends client base and have noticed she does this allot, one client is half 3 half 4, I don't get it !
Am i right or wrong in thinking this is just mixing for the sake of it ???

Hi all.
Can someone answer a question about colours ???
I have been hairdressing for many years, done advanced recently BUT cant get my head round this.
I know allot of hairdressers mix, lets say for instance, half 6 with half 7, now surly the end colour would be a 6 because its a darker shade ? or would it be in between ???
I am taking over a friends client base and have noticed she does this allot, one client is half 3 half 4, I don't get it !
Am i right or wrong in thinking this is just mixing for the sake of it ???

Hi lilly;865181,

on the darker depths with no tones I cant see it making much difference
either especially with using half the darker base 3

I can understand if she perhaps put just a touch of 3 in the 4 to take it darker a teeny bit
but i would have thought half the 3 base would over take the 4 entirely

with very dark base colours I usually go for one base or the other
unless i was altering tones,

must admit though on lighter bases ect
i do sometimes add a touch of 5 to a level 6 base

but this is as you say to darken it a little ,

but it would be good to see what others think too x :)

hi minky long time no see . yep i think the same ,although in some brands a 3 is almost black! so i guess a little 4 may take the edge off and like minky i do some times mix the lighter bases because when covering grey there seems to be a big differance between a 7 and an 8 ,but thats about it

i mix half n half with 5 and 6 or 4 and 5 but not both base shades, like use a 5/0 wit a 6/75 etc, but obviously if u run out of 5 half of 4 and half of 6 wud be the obvious answer to mix it up failing that mixing half 3 with half 7, but i dont get the mixing half base 3 with half base 4??? whas that all about hahaha. . . i dunno mabye try it on two different test cuttings and see if their any difference for urself? and let us know what u find haha. . x

mixing a base 6 with a 6/75 to cover grey yep defiantly but 6 with 7 etc ? I think that is a good idea to do a test.

Anyone else have any ideas on this, I'm getting more and more curious ???

well if it covering grey with a high percentage, u shud still be able to go as light as a 9 in theory if u use the tints that are double pigmented, u know like 8/00 oh wait or is it 88/0 crap io always forget which way round the double number goes when i dont have the chart in front of me, but i know the ones i mean haha, replace the single ie 6/0 wit 66/0 (or is it 6/00, god that is gettin annoying my dammed memory) and the grey coverage will no longer be an issue haha but yeah do the test haha. . x

well if it covering grey with a high percentage, u shud still be able to go as light as a 9 in theory if u use the tints that are double pigmented, u know like 8/00 oh wait or is it 88/0 crap io always forget which way round the double number goes when i dont have the chart in front of me, but i know the ones i mean haha, replace the single ie 6/0 wit 66/0 (or is it 6/00, god that is gettin annoying my dammed memory) and the grey coverage will no longer be an issue haha but yeah do the test haha. . x

i know what you mean....we use clynol plus colours for this....ie...6/0+ 7/0+ etc etcfor white or resistant(double the base so to speak) ie. 6/0 etc etc for all other.....

HI I appreciate what your saying but I wasnt really asking about grey coverage I was asking if anybody can see the advantage of mixing 2 base shades ie. 3&4 or 6&7

Most commonly a clients NN will not match the NN of your color swatches they tend to fall in between i.e., you think a client looks to be a NN6 but when you check with the swatch she is neither a NN5 or a NN6 but falls in between. When you add 5+6=11 11/2=5.5 so you actually get a 5 and half or a medium light brown. You can use this formula to mix color when you run out as long as they are the same tone.

Example you need a 5CG but only have 6CG and 4CG mix them in equal amounts and you will get 5CG

6+4=10 10/2= 5

Hope this helped

Most commonly a clients NN will not match the NN of your color swatches they tend to fall in between i.e., you think a client looks to be a NN6 but when you check with the swatch she is neither a NN5 or a NN6 but falls in between. When you add 5+6=11 11/2=5.5 so you actually get a 5 and half or a medium light brown. You can use this formula to mix color when you run out as long as they are the same tone.

Example you need a 5CG but only have 6CG and 4CG mix them in equal amounts and you will get 5CG

6+4=10 10/2= 5

Hope this helped

now I completely confused :)! am I getting this, your saying if ypu mix a base 6 and a base 4 you'l end up with a 10!!! ( Lightest blonde ???)
I get the 6 + 4 to get a 5 I have always done that when needed.
I've done advanced colouring but maybe I need to go back for more !

no she showing u the formula which is (6+4=10)/2=5

Na, still dont get it, does anyone else or am I heading back to advance colouring, again ??? (Obviously the nn3 + nn5 - nn4 etc makes sense) but the formula ~Na dont get it !

add all the numbers togetther 3+ 4 + 5 eg and divid by the amount of colours you have so 12 divided by 3 is 4 .

6 plus 4 equals 10 ,
divided by 2 equals 5 :green:

add all the numbers togetther 3+ 4 + 5 eg and divid by the amount of colours you have so 12 divided by 3 is 4 .

Ker Plonk, the penny has dropped, thank you dee and Linana for your straight forward explination ! xxx

Latest posts

Back