mma, again

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobile nail tec

Reaction score
:confused: following a thread i put on here about my interview, i have just recieved a pm, saying about MMA

well, my question is how will i know if they are using MMA? they aren't going to put up a sign saying MMA used here.

they use e-files, which has made me think that they might be using MMA.

The use of efiles or masks is not indicator enough. Techs using good quality acrylic or uv gel also use efiles and masks.

These are only 'some' clues:
  • A pungent chemical odour that can cause dizziness or lightheadedness.l Enhancements that are extremely hard and very difficult to file, even with coarse abrasives.
    l Enhancements that will not soak off in solvents designed to remove acrylics; often the manicurist has to grind the MMA nail down to the real nail.
    l Low cost of full sets of acrylic nails and of touch-up procedures (nail preparations containing MMA are generally one third the price of safer alternatives).
    l Unlabelled containers: technician will not show or tell you what brand of product is being used.
Do a search and you'll find much more.
Hope this helps.

Sam wrote an article on MMA, click on the MMA link and all will be revealed.

this is some of what he wrote...
Warning signs of MMA use:
  • MMA has an unusually strong or strange odour, which doesn't smell like other acrylic liquids. Odour is present during application and when filing cured product (for fill-ins or repairs).
  • Enhancements are extremely hard and very difficult to file even with coarse abrasives.
  • Enhancements will not soak off in solvents designed to remove acrylics.
  • Enhancements are cloudy or milky colour when cured.
what would make you or the person who sent you the pm wonder if they use MMA in the salon where you had your interview?

having read your other post re the job interview......... a lot of technicians use e-files and wear dustmasks, and there are a lot of oriental technicians too, don't be too quick to judge hunny.
find out the facts as soon as you can... did you ask which products they use when you were there?
hth's

p.s. i'm a slow typer today lol :o

You know what, ive just been round town with my sister and noticed a NSS near the market that i hadnt noticed befor (then again its ages since ive had a gander round town) lol
Curiosity got the better of me and i went inside and asked for a price list, the girl there asked if i would like my nails doing as she could fit me in there and then (the place was dead, nobody around only her)
The smell inside was awful, it got right up my nose and made me feel sick!!
I asked what products she used and the reply i got was "gel & acrylic" :irked:
Soooo i said, i know you use gel & acrylic but what brand do you use? (i told a fib and said ide had a bad reaction when ide had them done last & wanted to make sure it wasnt the same product)
All she would answer was "gel & acrylic":mad:
She asked again if i wanted my nails doing there and then to which i replied..."sorry but if you cant give me the info i need or answer the questions im asking i dont want to risk it"
She looked miffed as i walked out.
Now what conclusion would you come to knowing what ive just told you?...go figure :irked:

VHunter said:
The use of efiles or masks is not indicator enough. Techs using good quality acrylic or uv gel also use efiles and masks.

These are only 'some' clues:
  • A pungent chemical odour that can cause dizziness or lightheadedness.l Enhancements that are extremely hard and very difficult to file, even with coarse abrasives.
    l Enhancements that will not soak off in solvents designed to remove acrylics; often the manicurist has to grind the MMA nail down to the real nail.
    l Low cost of full sets of acrylic nails and of touch-up procedures (nail preparations containing MMA are generally one third the price of safer alternatives).
    l Unlabelled containers: technician will not show or tell you what brand of product is being used.
Do a search and you'll find much more.
Hope this helps.

You've hit the nail on the head there, ive had a nosy in some (pretending to be interested in having my nails done) and ive tried asking about the products they use etc and you think I had just sworn at them- in one place I nearly got thrown out and all I asked was what gel system they were using :irked:

I have known some NSS salons that use MMA to decant their MMA powders into more well known powder tubs and pass it off as the well known brand. Obvioudsly feeling guilty or they wouldnt do that!!!

This NSS ive just been in had what looked like huge dappen dishes with lids on and the powder was in there!!

I thought it was the liquid that was MMA not the powder :eek:

I thought it was the liquid that was MMA not the powder :eek:
thats right cathie but it doesnt look good when u dont even know what powder they are using because its been put in a glass dish with a lid...ide much rather see it in the original tub and labeled..

going back to the question in hand.....
how else can Ann (mobile nail tec) find out about the products this salon uses?

ValencianNails said:
going back to the question in hand.....
how else can Ann (mobile nail tec) find out about the products this salon uses?

all she can do is ask but if she gets a response like I did (see my earlier post) she wont get very far, places like this "know" what they are doing is dodgy so they are going to make it virtually impossible to find out/be told exactly what products they use- I think all she can do is take an educated guess!

fingers crossed then that they are a bonafide salon with good standards of hygiene etc

if it's a gut feeling Ann then i truly hope it's a wrong one, let us know what happens :hug:

Ask to see the msds sheet that comes with the products that they are using.
If they balk, go back to the 'allergy' excuse and ask for their dist contact so she can ask them for the msds sheet.
If they balk again, then flat out tell them she's worried about mma and if they have nothing to worry about then they'll share the info. If they do worry, then they won't share it, will they?

I would say that a traditional NSS (makes it sound like they are ancient) wouldn't employ anyone outside their circle.

Cathie! said:
I would say that a traditional NSS (makes it sound like they are ancient) wouldn't employ anyone outside their circle.

you had my in stiches when I read that :green: :lol:

The only way one can really tell if it is MMA or EMA is to have a sample analised......and they are not going to let you do that are they......lol....
To me, any Salon that is not ready and able to tell the clients what product is being used, should be well stayed clear off......
Reputable Salons will only be to happy to tell you what they are using and will even be proud to tell you that they are say for example EZFlow, CND or the like users....

The hardness of an MMA enhancement is like filing plexiglass....
The difficulty in soaking MMA again like soaking plexiglass....

Using unlabelled containers, refusing to disclose which system or band is being used, low prices aso only point to a non standard salon which could be using a low brand EMA (very cheap yellowing) but not necessarily MMA....

See, and I've always heard they often times buy a small portion of reputable monomer, then fill the empty containers with MMA so it looks like they're using CND or TT or something like that.

As far as I know (in the US anyway) there isn't any type of dipstick test for MMA. So like if they put MMA in a CND Retention container...there's no way to know if it's cnd or mma without taking the container away for testing.

Latest posts

Back