MMA in monomer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amurphy105

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I have not bought this. I use ema for everything.
Can this be safely used if you pre make 3d art and such and its dry b4 ever touching the client? I ask bc I saw someone selling it. Why would you sell it, if you can't (or at least SHOULDN'T) use it!?!?!?! Because you KNOW the nss are going to buy it. Or an uneducated nail tech. It just worries me.

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

Can this be safely used if you pre make 3d art and such and its dry b4 ever touching the client?
In theory (if fully cured) it would be safe. BUT it's not designed to cure with the catalyst and powder that we use for EMA liquids. Plus it would contaminate the brush used with it. So you would be risking it BIG TIME!! See safe handling practices below

MMA polymer (solid, fully cured chains) are used in the polymer powder we use. Do not confuse this with monomer (liquid)

MMA can be used (and is safely used) as bone cement and other medical applications (although less and less as superior and safer handling polymers have been developed)
Note that in medical fields it is used whilst wearing vapor masks, goggles, apron and heavy gauge rubber gloves....
I ask bc I saw someone selling it. Why would you sell it, if you can't (or at least SHOULDN'T) use it!?!?!?! Because you KNOW the nss are going to buy it. Or an uneducated nail tech. It just worries me.
It should worry you (and every other tech) it is not a suitable monomer for use in nail enhancements ... AT ALL

It should be advertised as not suitable for cosmetic usage. If it's not you can report it...

Hth's

Last edited:
I know the dangers and try to educate my own clients. This dude was straight up advertising "mma monomer --$. (ema available at a higher price)" that was the ad on fb! My face was like 0.0

When I posted beneath his pic "what do you use mma for" a few of my tech friends "like"d my comment, but he never answered. He answered everyone around me, tho.

I wouldn't use, not sure if it could be harmfull to me as the nailtech and would never ever use on a client... If I want to speed things up I use a small amount of acetone in my monomer, but NEVER to product that bonds to natural nail though. (oh and I always use seperate brush)

Doug schoon has a pretty good mma article on his website... Why not add a link link to it as a comment...

Might put a few smarter people off...

And the rest ... Karma will look after

Nothing better than an mma allergy to stop you having anything to do with nails ever again...

I wouldn't use, not sure if it could be harmfull to me as the nailtech and would never ever use on a client... If I want to speed things up I use a small amount of acetone in my monomer, but NEVER to product that bonds to natural nail though. (oh and I always use seperate brush)

Why not just use a fast set monomer?

LOL:D I do but find it to slow sometimes, and for fine detailing of art OR in competitions I need to work fast. I have actually in Münich competed with 3 dappendishes (besides one with pure Moxie): 1 moxie and 1/3 acetone, 2 moxie and 1/2 acetone and 3 moxie and 2/3 acetone. Wouldn't use so much in it on a daily basis, but only in copetitions! When and if I use acetone/monomer mix on clients it is only for 3d work and I rarely do that on clients...

I've no intention of using it. I just wondered if there was a legitimate reason for it being offered. I could post Doug's link, but he would probably just delete the comment. So I didn't bother. Besides, I don't want to start a fight. It's also why I posted the original question here, as opposed to fb.

Comps I will admit allow 'anything goes' I still only find I need moxie ... Get it on once get it on right ;)
But then they do only need to stay on for judging and photos... ;)

For everyone else ... Don't beak your correct mix ratio and manufacturers guidelines... It will only lead to grief!!

I've no intention of using it. I just wondered if there was a legitimate reason for it being offered. I could post Doug's link, but he would probably just delete the comment. So I didn't bother. Besides, I don't want to start a fight. It's also why I posted the original question here, as opposed to fb.

A fair question then

No - there is no legitimate reason a nail tech would ever need or use MMA

Hope that helps chick

Comps I will admit allow 'anything goes' I still only find I need moxie ... Get it on once get it on right ;)
But then they do only need to stay on for judging and photos... ;)

For everyone else ... Don't beak your correct mix ratio and manufacturers guidelines... It will only lead to grief!!

I agree, and as said would never ever use on anything that bonds with natural nails!

About get it once get it right I don't quite follow??? (remember foreign geek so might misunderstand) In competition when building etc: a bunch of small flowers on top of eachother (or as in munich a tower from a castle) I find that I need it to set almost instantly in order not to budge when I build the next one, so I have to get it right the first time with acetone mix whereas with pure monomer mix I have loads of time to push it around?? So don't understand that comment:o

I went to find the pic, and although I know he still sells it, he took the advertisement down. :) I'm still annoyed he didn't bother to answer me, tho.

Latest posts

Back