Mobile customers - please help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrea85

Reaction score
I have recently started out as a mobile technician offering manicure, Minx and Shellac, but I'm really struggling to get customers!

Can someone please let me know how you got started, how you promoted your business etc. I have paid for flyers and not had one response and posted a couple of online ads.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Andrea x

hi,i am starting up too,i carry business cards around with me and tell everyone i talk to and hand them the cards.
ask to leave them in local business premises and public areas such as post office etc.
good luck :)

Do you have friends in your working area? Could you possibly do treatments on them for a real cut price? (I've done one of mine for free) Minx is really eye catching so once your work is put there for people to see, they will want it done too.
Also have you started off with any offers for first treatment? Some techs use 20% for example. And are your prices competitive? You don't want to be loads more than anyone else because you won't get the bookings.

Schools are soon to break up, but you could phone/write to local school PTA's to offer your services if they had a pamper evening.

Good luck!! Hope you're run off your feet soon!!

Hi, I have just been round looking at school/summers fairs, charity events, scouts in my local area offering to donate gift vouchers for prizes.

It seems to be going well and despite the fact that it is not a sale, it is getting your name to a large number of people in a small area and a bit of practice.

Good luck!:biggrin:

Thanks for your help so far.

I don't have a lot of girlfriends where I live, so that isn't really a way for me to advertise. I live in the city centre, so no schools anywhere near me either! A lot of shops, cafes etc have refused to take my flyers and so have the concierge in apartment blocks. I have put 2 posters up in my building, but no response from 127 apartments!

Have you set up a facebook page? I did mine and posted lots of pics of nail art (minx would be perfect for this) then suggested it to the few friends I have and asked them to suggest it to all thier (hundreds of) friends. It only really works if you have nail art / minx, things that really stand out.

Thank you FloJo, I will have a look at that later x

You need to show your work so people know what to expect, use some of your friends as models offering at cost price and then take loadsa pictures of your work.

People just aren't interested in a 'new tech' in the area, they're interested in a 'good new tech' and to prove this you need to show case your work.

My start up offers were 2 tans for £15 which was either £10 for the first tan £5 for the next or 2 people for £15.. this worked well to either bring clients back again or to build up clientele, it certainly worked for me - maybe think of something like that?

£18 for MINX toes or 2 people for £30 etc :)

Don't undersell yourself too much but at the moment you need the clients so don't think you have much option. Facebook has been my best friend for my business from the start to present!

Try offering your regular clients a discount for any friends they recommend to you.

You need to carry business cards around with you and approach every woman you see wearing nail colour that is worn or chipped! Show them your own Shellaced nails and rave about the results with this amazing product.

Before Shellac and the other gel polishes, natural nail treatments would have been difficult to start a business with. These have revolutionised the world now but you have to be excited and enthusiastic to the point of madness really. You can't be shy! :D

Re Facebook, do you have to have a personal account to have a business one, or can you just start up a business one on its own? I have never wanted a personal one due to the serious nature of my other job.

I believe you have to have a personal account to create a business page. I have one which i have recently set up as i have just started mobile, and it has been great for getting clients. You could always set up a personal account just so you can do a business one, just don't put any information on your personal one so it wont affect you other job, so that's always a possibility.

I believe you have to have a personal account to create a business page. I have one which i have recently set up as i have just started mobile, and it has been great for getting clients. You could always set up a personal account just so you can do a business one, just don't put any information on your personal one so it wont affect you other job, so that's always a possibility.
Just set up a 'personal' type account but with a business name.. that's what mine is, I have my name 'Emily-Business Account-Surname' - it's much better as you can add friends, have friend suggestions, write statuses and comment on other statuses.. :)

Yesterday I did a flyer drop in our nearest village and 'just so happened' to do so at the kick out time of the local primary school and managed to give out a few leaflets to "yummy mummies"

Latest posts

Back