Mobile nail business - advice and info needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samoontha20

Reaction score
Hi geeks :)
I have decided to go mobile with nails and semi permanent eyelashes and I was hoping for any advice, pearls of wisdom from you fab geeks out there :) what equipment is best for a mobile tech? How far should I offer the services? (5-10 mile radius?) should I have a minimum spending fee for being mobile?
Any advice or help is greatly appreciated :) xx

Such a good question!!! :wink2: I'm thinking of doing the same but would like some advice first as to do's and dont's.

Anyone......??!!! :eek::biggrin::)

Hi,

I know you are looking for info on mobile services, but I thought you might be interested in my new site Beauty Hum which lets you create a totally free profile page and then your clients can review you on your services.

I don't want to be overly salesy, but if you are interested you can join here Beauticians add yourself to the site | Beauty Hum

Thanks,

Lara

Hi, hope I can help a little! I'm a mobile beauty therapist and don't have a set mileage radius as such, but I list the towns I will travel between,...so I travel from East Preston, to Lancing, and up as far as Findon, and everywhere in between. Find it's easier for people to gauge whether or not I can come to them as miles don't mean much to most people!

Also I do have a minimum spend of £10 per visit. Actually there are only 2 services I offer that are under that but you want to make it worth your while.

Oh thank you that's brill :)

I have been working mobile for around 4 years now so I hope some of my little tips can help you:

- On my website I list the towns that I work in - just makes it easier for my clients instead of them working out my radius etc.

- If you are willing to stretch your services to other areas that are not on your usual route, make a note on your website and include the surcharge you have in place for this.

- I use this to store my nail polishes and also a trolley from them - I have checked online and they no longer stock this trolley.

- Put in place a minimum treatment spend (mine converted in pounds is £35).

- If you are driving find out about parking availability before you arrive.

- If you are going to a client for the first time make sure you give yourself enough time to find the place so you are there on time. Always ask your client for full details: their name, surname, surname at the entrance (if they live in flats) so you know which bell to ring and ask them what floor they are on so you don't go randomly looking through every floor for them :biggrin: Also get a contact number so if they are not answering the door or running late you can contact them.

- This is optional: For each client I go to I leave them with their own nail file, toe separators, foot file and cuticle clippers so that the next time I visit them (almost all of my first time clients book again) I have a few less things to pack. It might seem like a "big" investment in the beginning but for me I have found it all works itself out in the end. You will be amazed with how much more serious clients take you when they see that you have high hygiene standards. Plus clients always like getting a little something extra :biggrin:

- Take your own towels and protective plastic if you will be working on their own table.

- You can find lightweight footspa alternatives if you prefer not to use a foot spa. I use this you can decorate with rose petals, stones etc.

- If you are concerned about the safety side of things, work out a system with a family member, friend or partner. When I am going to a new client I usually pass on all their details to my husband, tell him what time to expect a call from me when I am done and if he doesn't hear from me at that time add an extra 30 minutes and then come check up on me! Sometimes unforeseen things happen and you might run over thats when I usually send a quick text to hubby saying don't panic all is ok!

- Don't forget to carry a receipt book so after your service you can write out a receipt that both you and your client will have for tax purposes. When visiting a new client also leave a copy of your business card so that he or she can have your details or pass on to her friends. I usually hand the business card together with the receipt :biggrin: I can recommend good quality cards from MOO | Custom Business Cards, MiniCards, Postcards and more... for customized logo, business card and flyer designs Carl is the best at verve design

- Decide on the brands you want to work with and look for your local distributor, buy in bulk will save you money in the long run!

Those are the things right off the top of my head at the moment will update again when I think of more! Mobile work is hard work but if you are willing to put in the work you will reap the benefits :)

I have been working mobile for around 4 years now so I hope some of my little tips can help you:

- On my website I list the towns that I work in - just makes it easier for my clients instead of them working out my radius etc.

- If you are willing to stretch your services to other areas that are not on your usual route, make a note on your website and include the surcharge you have in place for this.

- I use this to store my nail polishes and also a trolley from them - I have checked online and they no longer stock this trolley.

- Put in place a minimum treatment spend (mine converted in pounds is £35).

- If you are driving find out about parking availability before you arrive.

- If you are going to a client for the first time make sure you give yourself enough time to find the place so you are there on time. Always ask your client for full details: their name, surname, surname at the entrance (if they live in flats) so you know which bell to ring and ask them what floor they are on so you don't go randomly looking through every floor for them :biggrin: Also get a contact number so if they are not answering the door or running late you can contact them.

- This is optional: For each client I go to I leave them with their own nail file, toe separators, foot file and cuticle clippers so that the next time I visit them (almost all of my first time clients book again) I have a few less things to pack. It might seem like a "big" investment in the beginning but for me I have found it all works itself out in the end. You will be amazed with how much more serious clients take you when they see that you have high hygiene standards. Plus clients always like getting a little something extra :biggrin:

- Take your own towels and protective plastic if you will be working on their own table.

- You can find lightweight footspa alternatives if you prefer not to use a foot spa. I use this you can decorate with rose petals, stones etc.

- If you are concerned about the safety side of things, work out a system with a family member, friend or partner. When I am going to a new client I usually pass on all their details to my husband, tell him what time to expect a call from me when I am done and if he doesn't hear from me at that time add an extra 30 minutes and then come check up on me! Sometimes unforeseen things happen and you might run over thats when I usually send a quick text to hubby saying don't panic all is ok!

- Don't forget to carry a receipt book so after your service you can write out a receipt that both you and your client will have for tax purposes. When visiting a new client also leave a copy of your business card so that he or she can have your details or pass on to her friends. I usually hand the business card together with the receipt :biggrin: I can recommend good quality cards from MOO | Custom Business Cards, MiniCards, Postcards and more... for customized logo, business card and flyer designs Carl is the best at verve design

- Decide on the brands you want to work with and look for your local distributor, buy in bulk will save you money in the long run!

Those are the things right off the top of my head at the moment will update again when I think of more! Mobile work is hard work but if you are willing to put in the work you will reap the benefits :)

Brilliant answer! I've been mobile for two years 'officially' and I pretty much agree with all of above!

Latest posts

Back