Mobile nail start up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissJP

Reaction score
Hey all

I have started an online nail technician course and am very nervous add this will be a big career change for me so I'm thinking ahead to when I start a mobile business to try and keep my mind off of the nerves.

I've been trying to think about what basic things I need to have sorted before I start seeing clients and this is what I've come up with:
- insurance
- business cards & price list
- portable table
- range of colours (how many colours???)
- I have products and equipment that i purchased for training

Have I missed anything???

I would still keep my current job and start a mobile business part time so where would I stand with HMRC? Any advice??

Also, I am currently working in the manicure module, and need to practice, practice, practice! If any of you lovely ladies fancy lending me your hands for a free spa manicure I'd really appreciate it. It would be great to practice and get feedback at the same time. I am based in Stanmore, Middlesex and am happy to travel in the local area to get to you.

I know that starting the business is still quite a way in the future but I'm getting excited and would rather plan ahead than come up stuck. It will also help to know what kind of expenses I'd have in the beginning too.

Thanks in advance for your help!!! x

Hi there,

This is my first post so am new to SalonGeek but I have been offering mobile gel polish and gel extensions for around 18 months now (mainly just friends/friends of friends etc as I also work full time).

As you've already started this course then I guess this advice will be irrelevant now, but I can't stress how important it was for me my while completing my training that the educator was in the room with me to offer guidance there and then. Obviously online training is much more convenient when you lead a busy life but I don't think my skills would be up to much had I not received the instruction directly.

In terms of what you will need - You should also get some client cards - which are to be completed for each new client during the initial appointment (with contact details, and also a tick list of whether they are on medication, have any allergies/issues etc - you will most likely need this for your insurance company so check with them). You can usually get these from your local wholesaler/warehouse, or there are some handy templates online you could use. They are also handy for recording each appointment, the date and details of the service.

I keep adding to my colour collection every month as my (more adventurous) regular clients work their way through the colour options quickly! I now have about 40-50. I would say start with as many as you can afford, at least 5 or 6, and then work your way up.
I really love doing nails and am always busy, word of mouth and social media is definitely key as there are so many people doing nails but with very different skill levels! Make sure you leave cards with everyone and ask them to pass on to friends if they are happy with their treatments. I find I no longer give out business cards as I don't have the time to fit additional clients in now!

Also - I'd suggest practising nail art or attending a training course - it's great to add as an addition to plain polish and means you can charge a bit extra.

Good luck! :)

Thanks h3lcn7

I had to opt for the online course as I did not have the time to go somewhere to train, and I've already taken all of my annual leave for the year. I definitely would have preferred to do the course with a tutor in person but I just couldn't find a way for that to work for me. The company I'm doing the course with do run a classroom course so I was going to see if they would let me go in and observe one day but not sure if they'll agree.

I hadn't thought about client cards so thank you for that. This is why it's great to talk to other people. This is going to be a complete career change for me but I'm hoping that if nails takes off then I can expand to other services. I just need to get to grips with the basics first! And I need all the help I can get!

The course I'm doing covers manicure, acrylics, gels, silk and fibreglass (not really sure if anyone uses these anymore!). Once I'm confident with these I'll look to doing nail art and maybe the CND shellac course (I thinking I'm starting to dream too big now! lol!!)

Who are you doing the course with?

I've done both classroom and home learning. I did my home learning with essetial nails. It really depends on the sort of person you are. I loved my essential nails course, But i think 'not having time' isn't a very good reason to opt for a home course. I don't say that to be mean - But getting into anything takes time so if you don't have time now are you going to have time for other essential parts of developing a business? Of course, If by 'i havent got time' you mean you have spare time but find it difficult to work around other people because of your current job that is different.

Like i said i don't say that to be mean, and i have absolutely nothing against home learning. My opinion on training is that no matter what way you go it is a building block. You wouldn't go to one CND course and know everything either. It's a perfectly fine option to start building your knowledge and skills.

As far as colours go i suggest;

A red
a purple
a bright pink
french pink and white
black
a coral
and a clear glitter - As that instantly doubles your options.

Depending on how far your budget stretches maybe add some pastels they seem to go down well.

Last edited:

I've done both classroom and home learning. I did my home learning with essetial nails. It really depends on the sort of person you are. I loved my essential nails course, But i think 'not having time' isn't a very good reason to opt for a home course. I don't say that to be mean - But getting into anything takes time so if you don't have time now are you going to have time for other essential parts of developing a business?

Like i said i don't say that to be mean, and i have absolutely nothing against home learning. My opinion on training is that no matter what way you go it is a building block. You wouldn't go to one CND course and know everything either. It's a perfectly fine option to start building your knowledge and skills.

A red
a purple
a bright pink
french pink and white
black
a coral

Depending on how far your budget stretches maybe add some pastels they seem to go down well.

Thanks for replying. Don't worry, no offence taken. The only reason I didn't 'have time' is because all my annual leave was already allocated this year. My idea situation would have been a classroom course and if I have annual leave then I would have done it that way. The online course has been great so far but if I find it doesn't work out for me then I will look to doing an classroom course in the new year. I just wanted to get started while I was in the mindset to do so.

Thank you for the advice on colours, that sounds like a good range to start with!

I've done both classroom and home learning. I did my home learning with essetial nails. It really depends on the sort of person you are. I loved my essential nails course, But i think 'not having time' isn't a very good reason to opt for a home course. I don't say that to be mean - But getting into anything takes time so if you don't have time now are you going to have time for other essential parts of developing a business? Of course, If by 'i havent got time' you mean you have spare time but find it difficult to work around other people because of your current job that is different.

A red
a purple
a bright pink
french pink and white
black
a coral

I have managed to get a few extra days off from work and changed my home learning course to a classroom one! YAY, very excited and instantly feeling more confident even though the course isn't for another six weeks!!

Good luck re HMRC: You will just register yourself as self employed and fill out a tax return each year. If your self employed tax bill is less than £5000 you can pay this through your tax code straight from.your employed earnings.
Set up expenses/costs: These can be as little or as much as you want! You will obv need a kit and manicure desk, some pricelists and business cards, a yearly insurance premium paid up front and that can be as minimal as that
Good luck.with training x

If you need hands to practice on then I'm not far from you! I live in Bushey so just pm me if you need me [emoji5]️

Not far from me either - I'm South Ruislip! x

Thanks Lisa & Helward. I'm going to so the course next month so ill be in touch! xx

Latest posts

Back