Mobile or Salon? What did you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BodyAngels

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm hoping to start up in the coming months as I had a baby in October and am currently on Maternity leave so feel that this is the best time to spread my wings. My dillema is whether I should go mobile or open a salon. What did you do and how long did it take to get established and start to make a profit?
I have no clients as I'm starting from scratch doing Nails, Beauty and Holistic therapies. I'm thinking of returning to my job part time so that I can at least pay part of the nursery fee's (equivalent to a second mortgage) as this will be my only guaranteed income.
Any other advice would be most welcome.
Claire x

Hi Claire

i quit my day job in September and went mobile full time. i found a shop that would make a perfect salon but being quite new at this i was a little hesitant at taking the plunge, i would have had to use money from my house etc etc. i did a business plan but got cold feet and at the last second pulled out. Worried that i didn't have the client base and experience to make it a success. So i decided to go mobile to keep down the costs and run up the profit .. lol .. and on doing a flyer drop i was asked by a local salon if i would be interested in taking a spot in the salon. i now do 3 days there and the rest mobile, to be honest i was really lucky not only were they lovely people but i was given a good deal on a low % and no rent. I have now converted the spare space at the back did a waxing course and now do waxing too. i enjoy them both it is easier for people to come to me, but on the other hand i like the freedom of planning my own day..

Good luck
Donna xx

Hi There & welcome to the site:)

My Opinion on your situation is that for the time being start off on a mobile/or home based basis. Then further down the line if the business goes well and you make a good profit you can think about renting a room,salon etc.
It would be a shame at the moment to leave yourself with rent to pay and quite big start up costs for renting a salon, especially as you are busy with family life and a new born baby.
Start advertising your services as mobile/homebased and see where it leads, you can start up reasonably cheap this way and you have no monthly rent to find.
There is plenty of time to expand and maybe buy/rent in the future hun:hug:
keep your costs low and see how it goes for a while mate:)
best of luck for the future, let me know how things go:hug:

Thanks for your advice.
I'd been thinking that going mobile would be better until I'd built up my client base, but its just the lugging everything around that would be a pain. I know that advertising myself well is a good start and hopefully word of mouth will also help me get new clients. I really don't want to go back to my old job and would have prefered to do this full time, but with the cost of childcare, I just can't risk it. I'm really excited, but nervous as well.
I'll let you know how I get on.
Has it been slow building up your clients in your mobile busines? Have you struggled to get your clients?
Claire x

I think any new business struggles to get clients, whether you're a therapist or an electrican. It's important to remember that not all money you take is yours - you have to put some by for your national insurance contributions and tax. HMRC run some fab free courses to help you do this, also Business Link are worth checking out as they can give invaluble advice, which is free and run by business men and woman.
Remember to register your business within 3 months of starting - this is when you start advertising, not when you get a paying client, if you don't do it within 3 months you will be fined £100.
Just keep going and do your best, know your enemy, and above all be patient.

good luck chicken xxx:hug:

Latest posts

Back