Mobile spray tanners - how much mess really?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emsyj

Reaction score
I have recently done my spray tan training and was planning to buy a kit and start doing it mobile to supplement my income. BUT I have been really put off by the tutor saying what a mess it makes! When she demonstrated the spraying technique, I had to stand several feet away from the tent entrance and it was everywhere.

Now, I have read on here about people doing spray tanning and saying it makes no mess etc - but is that really true?? I am terrified of making a mess in someone's house. Do you normally ask in advance if they have space in their kitchen/bathroom to do it? I assume you would avoid doing it on a carpeted surface??

Any feedback or comments on the mess issue welcome... And do you have an extractor???

Thanks in advance
xx
:biggrin:

I've never known spray tanning to make a mess? I spray my gun from the entrance of the tanning tent,I have minimul overspray but any that there is will go inside the tent only.
I do lay a towel on the floor outside the tent,but that's just to stand on and for my machine to stand on and incase I spill anything as I'm a bit clumsy :)
Not sure why you were trained to spray through the entrance from the tent,I've always known to hold the gun about 4 inches from the body :) hope that helps hun xx

Essential Bliss Beauty Therapy

Thanks for your reply. There seem to be plenty of tan technicians on here making a living and not getting tons of customer complaints so I am a bit confused about why the tutor was showing us to spray in the way she did and telling us that it wouldn't work mobile unless we did people out in the garden!!! She said we really need a room to do it, but I haven't got any rooms left in my house (I run a bridal business from home as my 'day job' and this takes up 2 rooms)!

Do I need to buy an extractor? I'm happy to if it will help, I'm not looking to set up as cheaply as possible I just want to get the best equipment I can to enable me to do a great job (and get repeat business).

Oh that's an odd one,a tanning tent will be fine for you hun,wouldn't fancy spraying my clients out in the garden for their Xmas party tans..bit chilly lol.
Personally I don't use an extractor fan and I don't have any trouble,but maybe if you were to have a large tanning party this might be necessary,the most I've done is 6 together and didn't have any problems with overspray,but hopefully some other geeks can give you bit more advice where the extractor fan in concerned :)
Lots of practice is the main thing and you'll get the hang of using less solution too xx

Essential Bliss Beauty Therapy

If you have your gun set correctly you will get very little overspray, the gun should be a hands length from the body. If you look on the nouvatan facebook page, there is a video of dawn tanning a young man, you can see how we train people to tan and that there is no mist or overspray.

Thanks I will take a look to see the video. I am beginning to think I should have just trained with a tan supplier instead of paying for a private beauty school course :cry:

If you have your gun set correctly you will get very little overspray, the gun should be a hands length from the body. If you look on the nouvatan facebook page, there is a video of dawn tanning a young man, you can see how we train people to tan and that there is no mist or overspray.
Hi Steve, I have just had a look for the video on your facebook page and I couldn't find it :sad: could you attach a link? Thanks xx

Hi Steve, I have just had a look for the video on your facebook page and I couldn't find it :sad: could you attach a link? Thanks xx

Same here, I am interested in having a look but couldn't find it x

If you go onto the Facebook Nouvatan page, then click the 'photos' link on the left then 'videos' at top right of the photos box you will see '2 minute tan of a man' (which I assume is the video Steve means!!!)

Videos posted by Nouvatan Spray Tanning | Facebook

Great video Steve!

This is how i was trained, but it's good to see everyone's techniques. I'm not as fast as Dawn though, haha x

I do find that a tiny little bit of overspray goes on tables etc but you can wipe that away. Never noticed any on the clients floor or anything like that. Don't worry yourself about it too much. If you're that worried why not get an extraction unit? Just goes onto the back of your tent. I wash my elaminate floor weekly and the water is quite dirty but you'd never notice by looking at the floor x

I dont find like the others there is much over spray either if you are spraying inside the tent and the gun is set correctly. To be on the safe side (esp if there is a cream carpet!) I have a plain shower curtain that I carry about to pop my tent onto, only reason being if I am doing a high number of tans in one day my tent can get sticky even though I think I have wiped it out! Plus the curtain goes in the washing machine! But I think thats more me being anal and paranoid lol!:rolleyes:

Posting to keep x

Saving for later. This issue putting me off too so good to know x

I have my clients stand in the middle of the tent and find the only overspray goes straight into the tent, also holding my gun around 4" from the body... I wipe down when I'm at home and you can see how much is collected ( there is quite a lot!)

I've never known this to be an issue? You should only be spraying the body really and like the other geeks say, if your guns on the right settings and you're clients in the tent, you'll be fine!
Don't let it put you off, tanning is a great treatment!

I use a shower curtain like Nat Nat to place my tent on. i have a white one which is machine washable & i can honestly say the only tan noticeable on it is when my cup has dripped. I still wash it every evening though & its a great way of showing clients that you haven't made a mess. I agree with all other posts about having your gun set correctly. I too trained with a beauty school & the room was filled with tan mist so i bought an extractor fan (online from Castlepoint). The Nouvatan video is a great tool to perfect your technique. I really don't think i need it because even when i've done a group of 6 in a small room there has been no 'mist', but i still use it - just in case'. Before tanning a new client i always send some pre-tan advice & include on it that i prefer to tan in a room with hard floors & washable surfaces & very little soft furnishings. HTH. x

Hi,

I have just trained with Nouvatan and can't say I found it messy at all, any excess product (if any) went inside the tent. I've since done a few clients mobile and haven't found a problem. X

I am mobile and I do not get much mess at all!

I put a towel down in the tent and at the front of the tent. Seems to do the trick xx

Latest posts

Back