Mobile tech going to men's homes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Violets/Ruperts

Reaction score
I'm in a little bit of a dilemma, any opinion would be appreciated.

I currently work mobile, going from home to home on my bike (tres chic I know!)
however, my problem is that I would like to add male clients to my list, but the partner is saying no no no..

do any other female mobile technicians visit male clients houses for treatments? and how does one go about this in terms of safety?

I like to think i'm clued up enough to cope perfectly well except my partner is saying absolutely not, he's not even happy about me putting a male price list on my website..

what to do? is it safe? is it neurotic to not go to men's houses purely because they're men?

hmmm its a difficult one. On the one hand I can understand your partner being concerned for your safety, he wouldnt be much of a partner if he wasnt! On the other hand we cant go round assuming that all men are sexual predators and it would be a shame to turn business away because of this.

Can you come to some sort of arrangement with your other half? I know lots of ladies who do mobile take certain precautions when visiting men. Like for instance, when you get there, make a point of ringing your other half in front of the client to say where you are, give the address etc. That way the client knows that your fella knows exactly where you are and when you are expected to finish. Also promise your other half that you will immediately pack up and leave at the first sign of any dodgy behaviour, and if the worst came to the worst and the client doesnt let you leave the house that you will ring the police and ring your partner. Also you could take a chaperone along to male appointments, just introduce them as your assistant.

Its worth talking it over with him and suggesting some of these things because you will more than likely find that male clients are a pleasure to treat, you'd be pretty unlikely and unlucky to come across a dodgy one.

hmmm its a difficult one. On the one hand I can understand your partner being concerned for your safety, he wouldnt be much of a partner if he wasnt! On the other hand we cant go round assuming that all men are sexual predators and it would be a shame to turn business away because of this.

Can you come to some sort of arrangement with your other half? I know lots of ladies who do mobile take certain precautions when visiting men. Like for instance, when you get there, make a point of ringing your other half in front of the client to say where you are, give the address etc. That way the client knows that your fella knows exactly where you are and when you are expected to finish. Also promise your other half that you will immediately pack up and leave at the first sign of any dodgy behaviour, and if the worst came to the worst and the client doesnt let you leave the house that you will ring the police and ring your partner. Also you could take a chaperone along to male appointments, just introduce them as your assistant.

Its worth talking it over with him and suggesting some of these things because you will more than likely find that male clients are a pleasure to treat, you'd be pretty unlikely and unlucky to come across a dodgy one.

thankyou thankyou, some good food for thought!
i do appreciate he cares but I think i'm from a very different tree to him! i'm more of a get on with it person and he is a worrier.
i feel this is going to be an interesting conversation with him, wish me luck!

I don't have a male pricelist but will treat men if they call for an appointment. I MUST speak to them over the phone to book, no text or email bookings. I accept text or email enquiries but if they wish to book I must speak with them. This allows my 'gut instinct' a chance to pick up on anything untoward and helps to put myself and the client at ease. It's not just you who do not know them but they do not know you and that can be just as worrying feeling for them.

Safety wise - (for ALL appointments, male or female) I always leave the address and contact number of the client and approx how long I expect the appointment to be with my boyfriend (for male clients - I ring from the car to say I have arrived an then I ring again to say I'm leaving so my boyfriend knows I am ok). I have a safe word that I would never say other than if I was in trouble and I want my boyfriend to ring the police and pass on the details of where I am etc... I would walk out and lock myself in my car WITHOUT my kit if I had to for my own safety and I always check how to get to the exit and keep me between the door and the client - I set up so they are away from the door and I can turn and leave if I have to without having to pass them.

There are other things you could do like carry a rape alarm or a pepper spray/hairspray type thing, you could set your mobile to transmit a signal so you can be tracked at all times, you can refuse all drinks (in case of tampering) and carry your own bottled water etc.. but if you feel that insecure your better off not doing male clients at all.

Remember that a female client could be just as dodgy as a male client so safety should be your number 1 priority at ALL times not just when it's a male client.

I don't have a male pricelist but will treat men if they call for an appointment. I MUST speak to them over the phone to book, no text or email bookings. I accept text or email enquiries but if they wish to book I must speak with them. This allows my 'gut instinct' a chance to pick up on anything untoward and helps to put myself and the client at ease. It's not just you who do not know them but they do not know you and that can be just as worrying feeling for them.

Safety wise - (for ALL appointments, male or female) I always leave the address and contact number of the client and approx how long I expect the appointment to be with my boyfriend (for male clients - I ring from the car to say I have arrived an then I ring again to say I'm leaving so my boyfriend knows I am ok). I have a safe word that I would never say other than if I was in trouble and I want my boyfriend to ring the police and pass on the details of where I am etc... I would walk out and lock myself in my car WITHOUT my kit if I had to for my own safety and I always check how to get to the exit and keep me between the door and the client - I set up so they are away from the door and I can turn and leave if I have to without having to pass them.

There are other things you could do like carry a rape alarm or a pepper spray/hairspray type thing, you could set your mobile to transmit a signal so you can be tracked at all times, you can refuse all drinks (in case of tampering) and carry your own bottled water etc.. but if you feel that insecure your better off not doing male clients at all.

Remember that a female client could be just as dodgy as a male client so safety should be your number 1 priority at ALL times not just when it's a male client.

good points indeed, having had my drink spiked before I know all too well the nightmare it can cause.
I never thought of it in a way that they might be worried too.
I'm not particularly insecure about having male clients, money is money and business is business. However my boyfriend worries, mainly because I used to work as a stripper, about my safety in dealing with males. I actually think he's more paranoid i'm going to run off with one of my clients!! Ludicrous indeed but his insecurities are another kettle of fish!
At least thanks you you guys I can now implement these ideas and be safe while working, I really ought to have been doing it with the female clients too.

My other half is exactly the same, absolutely doesn't want me to do treatments on men, so currently I only offer a female only service.

However I will do spray tans for couples, especially those who have been referred by to me by regular clients and he's OK with that.

It's awful to think (and I try not to think that way) that men are sexual predators but I do recall one day going out to a client (I'm mobile) and the lady had rang to make her appointment. I knocked at the door and her husband answered and said, she wasn't back from work just yet and would I like to come in and set up as she wouldn't be long.

I was completely thrown, I didn't want to say no, it's OK as I think you could be a potential weirdo! In the end I did go in and set up, it was then I started worrying about all sorts of implications, thankfully his wife turned up a few mins later and all was absolutely fine. But I hated feeling vulnerable or the fact that I was doubting this perfectly nice man's intentions.

I try to put it to the back of my mind now, otherwise it would just drive me mad.

My other half is the same sort of. He doesn't mind me going to men for pedicures and manicures but as soon as I mentioned waxing or tanning it was a firm no! Of I go to a males house who is not a hardcore regular he still insists I make eve appointments and he sits outside in the car! If this isn't possible I have to turn them down :( not worth the arguing lol

I experienced this too lisag. I turned up to a clients house and there was no Answer, then a car pulled up and a man got out, he explained mu client was in a meeting at school (she's a teacher) and would be home soon would I like to come in and wait? I didn't even think about it I just said yes and walked in! He said I'm off upstairs as I've just got back from America and I've some last min emails to send, would I be ok in the kitchen on my own? He went off upstairs then worry kicked in, what the hell had I done?? I txt my bf telling him is text him in 15 mins and if I didn't then to come get me.

Luckily just as I pressed send a woman walked though the door and apologised for being so late and was cursing her bf for leaving me on my own without a cup of tea! I was lucky but soooo stupid lol x

I must say, having been attacked (by my ex) IF someone wants to harm you (I know not every guy is a weirdo) then seriously managing to get your phone and call some one-not always as easy as it sounds, how utterly useless you feel when that phone is taken out of your hand and smashed, exit blocked by said man. I am super wary, I'd hate to feel that powerless again. Xx

I must say, having been attacked (by my ex) IF someone wants to harm you (I know not every guy is a weirdo) then seriously managing to get your phone and call some one-not always as easy as it sounds, how utterly useless you feel when that phone is taken out of your hand and smashed, exit blocked by said man. I am super wary, I'd hate to feel that powerless again. Xx

Steph that must have been absolutely horrible, I'm so sorry for you, I feel bad fretting about how my boyfriend cares too much now. I hope you are ok now though, there is nothing wrong with being wary. As many of the ladies have already said here, their wariness is their first instincts.

My other half is exactly the same, absolutely doesn't want me to do treatments on men, so currently I only offer a female only service.

However I will do spray tans for couples, especially those who have been referred by to me by regular clients and he's OK with that.

It's awful to think (and I try not to think that way) that men are sexual predators but I do recall one day going out to a client (I'm mobile) and the lady had rang to make her appointment. I knocked at the door and her husband answered and said, she wasn't back from work just yet and would I like to come in and set up as she wouldn't be long.

I was completely thrown, I didn't want to say no, it's OK as I think you could be a potential weirdo! In the end I did go in and set up, it was then I started worrying about all sorts of implications, thankfully his wife turned up a few mins later and all was absolutely fine. But I hated feeling vulnerable or the fact that I was doubting this perfectly nice man's intentions.

I try to put it to the back of my mind now, otherwise it would just drive me mad.

It's also nice to know I'm not the only one out there with an over-protective boyfriend. I'd love to work more geared towards the male beauty industry, by the looks of things it's a great direction to go in. I shall be taking on board everyone's advice here and be sitting down for a good long chat with the fella, I'll keep you all posted!!

To throw a cat amongst pigeons, I would be quite offended if someone said sorry I can't come and do a service or you can't come to the salon as you are male. Being a little more effeminate may be the reason I don't get this, but more and more men want treatments done, and are taking more care interior body and appearance than ever before.

Iv not done any research, but I would take a guess that 98% of all men are honest and not out to abuse or take advantage. For the 2% they are a minority, I would guess the same with women.

If you wanted to make sure they were serious, take a deposit. Also carry a personal alarm with you (I actually advise many older lady's to have one attatched to their purse and the inside of their bag so that if a pickpocket were to try their luck the alarm will sound) you can even clip them to a waist band with the cord easily accessible in an emergency.
Also if you have a iPhone, download find my friends and hAve a friend take a look periodically to check your location xoxo

Oops forgotten to add, in this day and age should any woman be taking orders or be dictated by a man. I won't be dictated by anyone male or female and if its a direction you want to go into then do it xoxo

Oops forgotten to add, in this day and age should any woman be taking orders or be dictated by a man. I won't be dictated by anyone male or female and if its a direction you want to go into then do it xoxo

I most likely will just go for it, but it's the onslaught of arguments I risk if I do not at least discuss the issue.
I really appreciate a male's opinion on this, I know it works both ways whatever the sex. And indeed in the modern world nobody should be dictated to, alas, some relationships have not quite caught up with 2012! Namely my own unfortunately.

I don't think ur boyfriend is dictating just worried. I bet if u worked in a salon with lots of other ladies/clients around he wouldn't be half as worried. And I have had enough "odd" calls from men to warrent him being worried. They don't have to be abusive (although of course that is what worries us) to want "extras" and whilst I have had only 1 genuine man call wanting a treatment he booked his girlfriend in at the same time and I took a friend along to "help" with my treatments.Where I have had around 10 calls asking for extras or going along that route (ie when I've said yes, but I will be accompanied-they have hung up) others just ask...lol! I don't know when spray tan became code for prositute!

Personally I'd prefer (and do) to treat unknown men in the salon, rather than visit their home. ( I work part time in a salon and I am mobile)

Xx

To throw a cat amongst pigeons, I would be quite offended if someone said sorry I can't come and do a service or you can't come to the salon as you are male. Being a little more effeminate may be the reason I don't get this, but more and more men want treatments done, and are taking more care interior body and appearance than ever before.

Iv not done any research, but I would take a guess that 98% of all men are honest and not out to abuse or take advantage. For the 2% they are a minority, I would guess the same with women.

If you wanted to make sure they were serious, take a deposit. Also carry a personal alarm with you (I actually advise many older lady's to have one attatched to their purse and the inside of their bag so that if a pickpocket were to try their luck the alarm will sound) you can even clip them to a waist band with the cord easily accessible in an emergency.
Also if you have a iPhone, download find my friends and hAve a friend take a look periodically to check your location xoxo

I couldnt agree more, I would completely understand a man being offended if he was refused a treatment purely on the basis of him being a man, you might aswell just come out with it and accuse him of being a rapist!! Men enjoy beauty treatments aswell as women, and you are taking just as much of a risk by visiting a female client on your own as you do when you visit a man. Any security precautions should apply to all clients, not just men.

I get where people are coming from; it is men who are the perpetrators of sexually motivated crime therefore lone women are wary of treating men, but only a very small percentage of men are sexual predators so it doesnt make sense to treat 100% of the men we encounter with suspicion. It's not just sexual crime we need to be wary of, what about violent crime committed by a female with mental health issues, or what about a female client attacking us to steal our equipment or money? These crimes are just as likely to occur but we wouldnt dream of refusing all bookings from females on this basis.

It's very wise to put security measures in place just in case, and where possible to vet our clients before agreeing to visit, but by just point blank refusing to treat entire categories of clientele I think we are being entirely disproportionate not to mention damaging to our business.

I'm mobile and I have carried out spray tans for men, but only if his female partner has booked him in along with herself, or If I know them. I would not be bothered if a man was insulted if I didn't want to book him as it makes complete sense why I shouldn't.
I would love to add men to my client list, but the bottom line is this:
I have received numerous calls asking if I provide sexual services whilst spray tanning
I have listened to my friends stories about men having mildly to HIGHLY inappropriate behavior during treatments
I have seen on this forum many, many, many rants & queries about male inappropriate behavior.
Of course it's wrong to assume that all men will be inappropriate, but with hearing and experiencing most of these stories and being a vulnerable woman in a strangers home, no I do NOT think you should go to any mans house if you don't know him.
Just want to add that while being attacked, your phone will be of no use.
Yes I agree that there is the possibility that a woman can be dangerous, but I haven't heard anyone who has experienced this. All I would say is to just take precautions e.g. easy exits and telling someone where you are. With woman, theft is probably your biggest issue, so I would keep your stuff in plan view or in your bag as I have had solutions stole when I first started!

I won't treat men mobile at all I've had a very bad experience with a disgusting man. I think being in there home you are very vulnerable, I only do males at the salon now xxxx

Sent from my D5803 using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't see male clients at all due to past experiences and at least once every couple of days I'll get a man phoning for an appointment, when I state I don't see male clients I get accused of 'sexism being illegal' and various other rants. A few have threatened to report me to the Council or/and the Police. The fact is, it's my business, who I see is up to me.

In 2 years I've had oh...I don't know...100-150 calls from men asking if I provide hand relief or "extras" ...not a single dodgy phone call from a woman though, not one, or, anything weird whilst I've been carrying out treatments. Unlike the males when I first started who would sometimes sound absolutely fine on the phone and wait until I'm there carrying out treatment before asking. I'll admit, I nearly packed the mobile massage in a few weeks after starting because I was so upset.

I don't understand why these men don't approach professional sex workers instead of beauty therapists.

I'm mobile only.

I do not offer male treatments although I have carried out a few in the past. It is a shame that therapists get labelled as potential 'working girls' but I think that if you wish to offer male treatments there would be a few things I would implement:

Always word advertising in a professional manner (hand written cards on the local shop notice board do not come across as professional)
If you offer massage avoid using terminology that may refer to anything other than a therapeutic treatment
Never go to an urgent appointment on the same day
Always let someone know where you are going
Be confident
If it doesn't feel right then it isn't
Always issue your T&C before treatment starts
Carry an alarm
Learn some basic self defence
Work with a friend

Personally I think offering treatments to men in their own home and some women feels too personal. I would try and find neutral territory such as renting a room etc. Other practical things can be a problem as well as safety.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back