Mobile therapy - setting up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misslaura

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm starting to take my NVQ level 2 and also going on a Creative Nail Designs course in january.

My ideal set up would be to become a mobile therapist.

Does anyone do this and if so do you find it practical to work in other peoples homes, such as taking equipment etc with you?

Also do any of you work from home, like have a salon in your home? If so, again, do you find it strange having people in your house and what size of room do you do the therapy in?

I'm looking for lots of help really before i take the plunge!

hiya
good luck on your course, i started training last year and now work mobile and from my kitchen for people i know (don't have a spare room).

i find it a bit awkward carrying all of my kit because i've got so much nail stuff but i'm getting used to it, make sure you get a good sized kit bag, i've got a bucket bag from sweetsquared with the stuff i use for every appointment in (like tools, nail wipes, files, oils, small selection of retail items and polishes,arm rest) and all my other kits (l&p/gel/mani/pedi/) are in seperate beauty cases i bought from beautyboxes.com.

i've also got a folding picnic table as i find my back aches if i'm leaning over clients kitchen tables.

hope this helps a bit x

I have been doing mobile work for a while now. It is hard work theres no question about it. Lugging all the stuff about can get a bit tiring and advertising is hard work as the clients wont just come to you ,as i found out for myself.
A few tips i will give you are
Prepare to put in lots of hard work
Choose good products
Have at least one treatment that is unique to you
Try to retail as much as possible (buying only a few retail products in the begining)
GET OUT THERE!! put your flyers through every door possible and give them to everyone you know. Offer an incentive for people recomending you.
Put adverts in the paper , shops , you could do school events, charity work.
And the list goes on. It does have it's upsides though, you are in control of your booking system and you get to keep all of the money hee hee.
If you havent got yourself a couch yet then please dont make the mistake i did and get one thats heavier than you lol.
I am only really doing spray tans mobile now as i am opening my home salon after xmas. I just figured if i did this i could fit more clients in , retail them more because i dont have to lug it about and i can lower my prices a little as i havent got to pay out for petrol or parking etc.
Good luck hun and be enthusiastic and prepared to get out there
xxx

hi,
Its very hard work but I have found it also very rewarding as long as you are willing to work for it. You need to make sure you are extremly well organised and do lots and lots of reaserch before hand on products, equipment, marketing ect. Can be a bit of a nighmare lugging things in and out all the time and its not much fun when its raining and cold outside!

I have been mobile for about 17 months but from jan will be renting some beauty rooms not because I dont like mobile because I struggle to fit everyone in because of the added time it takes with travel and setting up.

Have you thought about working in a salon for a while first you really can learn some much from more experienced therapists and it would give you chance to build up a client base and get lots of experience.
Kirsty
x

I've been mobile on & off for 7 years, but only really started pushing it in the last 6 months or so. During that time, I've been working in salons/spas to build up my skills and I'm so pleased I did; I'm 100% better as a therapist than when I first qualified!!

Mobile is really hard work, and I can't remember what the back seat of my car looks like! My couch/spray tan kit/waxing kit/mani & pedi kit is always on the back seat. I also have no boot space and a permanent knot in my shoulder from lugging kit about with me. Petrol prices are a pain in the backside too.

But it's worth it!! My clients are lovely, the money is a brilliant bonus, and I'm doing what I love; BEAUTY!!! Go for it, but, realise that the harder you work, the more successful you will be :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back