Mobile v renting a room - for beauty therapy?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claire williams

Reaction score
Hi all, hope everything is all good with everyone:).
im a little bit confussed:confused: as i dont know which would be better for starting my own buisness, weather to go mobile or to rent a room some were?? just wondering what all you thoughts on this was?
Thanks geeks!!

much love:hug:
xxxx

i started on my own 12 years ago but to build up a client base at first i rented a room in a hairdressers for a year and then worked for someone for a year just to get my name around after that i started to offer home appointments aswell as where i was working eventually i went completely mobile it took at leat 2 years to build a decent client base but now i am fully booked with regulars the overheads as you can imagine are far less than if you were to rent a room or space even though i had to do this to begin with. now married with 2 children later my next step is to open my own beauty and tanning salon but being mobile has been great for me the past 10 years.

hi im self employed i do a day a week mobile and the rest renting a chair in a salon.

I have to say for me, being in one place wins hands down. i have gradually wound down my mobile as within the next year i want to have my own salon, but still with the one day i am running here there and everywhere, paying petrol and carting stuff about to various places and they always keep you longer then u can allow for! lol

the major plus to me in the salon is the fact i can have two / three people on the go at one time. overheads may be higher but turn over is better, and ur using the whole salon's name as well as ur own to get clients through the door. look at it as a roof over ur business as i do.

also its goin to depend on the hours u want to do, i would have thought if u would prefer evenings, mobile would be better and u can suit urself to a degree as to when u want to work. although saying that, the industry can be a little thickle as to u having time out, or changing the hours and days u work too regularly, they prefer to be structured and know that in so many weeks time they will have it done same day same time etc. as most people have that same day off from work every week if u catch my drift.

what ever you decide to do its goin to be a starting block for the future and then u can work out what way you want to go in time

hth!! good luck!

Hi!

I originally wanted to go mobile but i realised that because i didn't know a lot of people in my area it was going to be a struggle so i opted to open a beauty room above a hairdressing salon, the rent is really reasonable, I get a lot of "exposure" because when i am not busy i spend my time downstairs in the salon and chat with a lot of people (i got quite a few new clients like that), the hairdresser (who is a friend) is promoting my to all her customers and i do the same with mine... so it works... we also work together on bridal packages. I am available for mobile services but i do think that being in one spot is much easier (no carrying hoodles of stuff) at the beginning.

I hope that helps!

Good luck with your new venture:hug:

Hey hun!!

I am mobile at the moment and i work in a salon aswell and i have to say mobile is hard work! Most of my work is in the evenings which is ok but can get a bit annoying at times and all the carrying round of stuff is hard work and im not a small petite little thing at all!! lol! But when you are firts starting out and dont have alot of money mobile is good as the overheads arent as high!

It is a personal thing but for me its being in a salon and staying in one place all the way!! xx

hi,

I have been mobile for the past year and love it so much. I worked in a salon for 5 years but really wanted to try somthing different and be my own boss. It is hard work and long hours but if your willing to put in the work its so worth it. I have been really busy since I stared because I already had a lot of regular clients from the salon and word soon gets around. It is personal choice but I just love being out and about all the time and your overheads are so low! its fab.xx

This is a really hard one as there is fours and against for both. Me personally i would go mobile and perhaps incoperate that into a home based salon to. The only problem with it though is it takes time to build up, probably more so than if u had a room on a buisy high street. But at the same time u have more over heads and with the current climate as is, it is makeing it hard for everyone. Hope that helps chic, good luck with whatever u decidexxxx

Hi cathill,
hope you don't mind me asking but when you are mobile do you have a fold up trolley or table to put you stuff/equipment on.. The reason I ask is that I am thinking that I may have to go mobile in the near future (trouble with room I'm renting) and I just wondered what sort of equipment do you need to make it work.
Angela:confused:

Hi. well at first i did i carried everything around fold away table fold away chairs beauty couch!! got too much i couldnt carry on to much to lug about so now i usually do my manicures at the clients kitchen or dining room table and peds.
waxing i do on the bed and depending on the hight of it I either kneel or sit on a stool i gave facials up and i do make up and tanning . My beauty box contains my nail equipment lash tint things and creams i have a seperate bag for polishes and a wicker basket for my wax and a case for make-up i had a trolly with 3 boxes on but it was too heavy and kept falling apart. im always looking for different beauty boxes that will make it easier lots of people use a bucket bag! search thr threads on that one!! but i got my cases from B&Q they look exactly the same as the ones in wholsalers are sterdy and are half the price.you just find your own way after youve been doing it a while. xx

Thanks cathill I will bear all that in mind and I will def be looking at the boxes from the the DIY shops.

Latest posts

Back