Mosquito repellant for Jamaica - Anyone know a good one?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merrick

Reaction score
I'm off on holiday to Jamaica in about four weeks and I'm trying to find out which is the best 'irritating little biting bug sender awayerer' out there as there are so many to choose from.

I've been reading about something called DEET which seems to be the greatest thing ever but also might kill you (depending on which website you read).

I read a review that suggested that Avon Skin So Soft (i think) is good but I don't know what this is and can't find it on Avon's website and I don't have a local agent.

So anyone who has been to Jamaica or some other place where these wretched creatures live or has insider knowledge, your advice would be appreciated.

What do mosquito's even do apart from spread disease?

Yep i hear avon skin so soft works and as you say anything with deet.

Most insect repellants contain deet.

ALSO - try Australian Body Care Tea Tree lotion they hate the stuff !!!!

At the end of the day though i think its luck - they either like you or they dont !!

Have a fab time!

AMb x

Last time i went to the carrabiean i looked like a pin cushion id been bitten so many times ! Last two days of holiday i used my boots soltan suncream & aftersun and didn't get any :) If you buy some make sure you get the insect repellent one .

If you wait until you get to Jamaica ask the locals which one they recommend. I've took a few with me but they vary in effectiveness. I wait until we get there now and just take the plug in units with me.

Hi there. I went to Jamacia earlier this year. Can honestly say it was the best holiday ever. People so friendly. Just watch out for the rum its leathal. I got bit to death but was told if you drink tonic wateer for two wks every day before you go you dont get bit at all. Sounds strange to me but the couple who told me didn't have a bite between them. And think of it this way what beter excuse to throw a gin in with it. Have a great time x

When I went to Kenya we used Jungle formula,they do lots of products,roll ons,spray,cream.Dosn't smell nice but it keeps those mozzi's at bay.None of us got a bite the whole time we were there.
I used those plug in things as well for our room.You have a little tablet thing that you slide into the plug in,it keeps the mozzi's away but remember to change the tablet everyday.HTH

i think the relevance of the tonic is because it contains quinine (sp)

Im cool with that as i drink nice long icy g&t's anyway ....i always new it was medicinal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quinine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Amb x!

I can't wear repellents because I'm allergic to them, I come up in bumps bigger than the mossie bites themselves!

I make my own repellent (same one that I use on my horses) out of citronella and pine oil, though I must say this doesn't work as effectively on mosquitoes as it does on horseflies.

So I do get a few bites when I'm away, but as long as I don't scratch in the first few days (soooo tempting though :eek: :eek: ) my body builds up antibodies and any bites after that don't come up at all.

Ice dipped in Dominican white rum really takes the sting out of them as well :green:

Thanks for all the advice kids!

Sadly I can't drink tonic water, it makes me gag for some reason, but i'll suggest it to my holiday buddy (and nail model but she doesn't know that yet, heh heh heh).

The citronella and pine oil trick never works for me, I cover my horse in the stuff and spray a bit on me aswell, but the evil flies of doom still seem to swarm us and he freaks out and tries to ditch me over the nearest fence, Git!

Does anyone know if those wrist band dealys are worth having or do they just cause tan lines?

think its good to get something with a lot of deet in it, when you are there, the more % the better. which is not very easy in this country, due to laws..........but in places like thailand, africa its easy,so just brought shed loads back as my husband has had some bad bites here, hospital job!!!
avon so soft, i am led to believe is good, but its the wasps and hornets that hate it!!! they proved that in america. not mossies.
i make my own fly/insect repellent for my horses, but always put a good helping of so soft oil in it as it keeps the wasps, horse flies, and hornets away from the citronella.

i could give you some of my blood - lol, the knats, mossies only hover, and then buzz of, i never get bitten......................

I have no idea about the wirst bands, but my auntie swears by those little electric shock things for taking the sting/itch/total annoying feeling out of mossie bites...

She says they're really effecttive, I say they're satisfyingly painful (have tried it, but not on bites, just for...erm...'fun'!) :green:

I retail Avon products.

Skin So Soft is one of their product lines and the product you're looking for is the "Skin So Soft Bath Oil - Original Scent"
At one time, bug spray companies were trying to get Avon to get rid of this product as many mums were preferring it to deet...
Well, Avon's still got it and it still sells like hotcakes.
In fact, one time, I went to a drive-in movie with friends. They used some chemical spray and I used the SSS oil... Guess who got bitten? Wasn't me:green:

We have HUGE skeeters here in the suburbs off the island of Montreal. Where we live, it used to be mostly 'marshy' and there are still many forests and fields about. Many families have 'skeeter-vacs' in their yards. For my family, I use the Avon SSS bath oil in a spray. Also, "Bounce" brand of fabric softner sheets used in the dryer AND tucked under a shirt are great for warding off skeeters.
Another child friendly (and animal friendly) product is mixing a few products from the Melaleuca line of Tea-Tree oil based, non toxic housecleaning & other products. This spray will ward off skeeters, and black flies etc . If you want the recipe, let me know (of course, these products are not available in stores.)

They are both AWESOME.

If you really want to try the SSS oil, drop me a line. I have pay pal, so I can check with the post office and see what it would cost to mail it to you, and send you a bottle.
They have small spray bottles, and big 24oz bottles (that I use to refill my spray bottles)

hth's

Thanks Victoria, I did a webby net search and found a local supplier before I saw your post, so I've ordered myself a bottle, but thanks anyway. If I need anymore I'll give you a shout, I think its good to trade amongst 'the family' as it were.

Any time:wink2:

You're gonna love it.
The best part, you smell nice instead of stinky.

But for truly safe products that you can spray on every member of the family, including the furry ones and not worry about toxicity etc.. that's also good against black flies and other biting critters.. Melaleuca.
Look it up, they have a host of products for the family.
There stuff is the ONLY stuff I use for cleaning my house and I'll never use anything else again EVER.

PS: glad to hear you got someone more local, would be more cost effective without shipping involved
:hug:

Hi there,

Ahhhhhhh Avon , thats how I started gearing towards nails [early 80's]. Saved from selling it to do my nail course. Wasn't aware of the anti skeeter effect, though its been a while since Ive used SSS....all CND now lol..

Another anti bug / skeeter/mozzie trick is to build up the vitamin B in your system.
It repels mozzies etc by way of emmiting a smell in the skin they dont like. We cant smell it BUT they can & will tend to stay away from you.

Vitamin B can be found in tablet form from the chemist/health stores etc or in any goood can of beer.:wink2:
Many a fishing/prawning/camping trip & outdoor event will have a supply of vitamin B in liquid form, commonly known as a slab[case of beer]

HtH

XX J XX

Vitamin B can be found in tablet form from the chemist/health stores etc or in any goood can of beer.:wink2:
Many a fishing/prawning/camping trip & outdoor event will have a supply of vitamin B in liquid form, commonly known as a slab[case of beer]

HtH

XX J XX

WHOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Another good reason to get sloshed around the campfire....
"Honestly honey, I need to be drunk to keep the skeeters off my butt when I go pee in the bushes"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

when we went to jamaica i never got bit and normally they love me (bloody things).
i always take my plug ins with me and befor we go out i always spray the room with the mossy spray as well (siver can from boots and it contains deed) expensive but good.
someone also said to try ouderless garlic tablets (holland and barratt) you need to take them 2 weeks before you go.

I'm off on holiday to Jamaica in about four weeks and I'm trying to find out which is the best 'irritating little biting bug sender awayerer' out there as there are so many to choose from.

I've been reading about something called DEET which seems to be the greatest thing ever but also might kill you (depending on which website you read).

I read a review that suggested that Avon Skin So Soft (i think) is good but I don't know what this is and can't find it on Avon's website and I don't have a local agent.

So anyone who has been to Jamaica or some other place where these wretched creatures live or has insider knowledge, your advice would be appreciated.

What do mosquito's even do apart from spread disease?

I suggest off with deet, it comes in a lotion form now. That lasts all day long, it is wonderful, and put it on as often as you can, because mosquitos are carrying all sort of diseases, we dont want you sick... so have fun and be SAFE!!!

WHOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Another good reason to get sloshed around the campfire....
"Honestly honey, I need to be drunk to keep the skeeters off my butt when I go pee in the bushes"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Question - what is a skeeter?

Is it like a crane fly? Long legs, wings, annoying

Latest posts

Back