Motorway middle lane hogging, fines?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And no, I don't ever recall being told by the police or by my driving instructor or anyone that the middle lane is not for driving on until I started reading this tread.
Did you not have to read the highway code when you sat your test then? The motorway rules are in the highway code and so NO driver should have any excuse for not knowing the rules of the road.

Did you not have to read the highway code when you sat your test then? The motorway rules are in the highway code and so NO driver should have any excuse for not knowing the rules of the road.

In did my theory test 2 years before my practical. As motorways were never covered in the practical it went in one ear and out the other! I didn't drive on the motorway for the first 2 years after passing my practical as I was too scared so by the time ingot on the motorway it was 4 years since learning anything about it. As hubby so kindly offered to teach me all there was to know I didn't bother reading the handbook again (which in hindsight I wish I had).

The good news is, thanks to this thread, I am going to drive on the motorway properly from now on. My next motorway journey (for those of you who are concerned for your own safety) will be on the 27th July commencing at 9:30 am going from Cheshire (Knutsford Services) to Newbury. :D

Wow! I really didn't realise how much this affected people!! I never go under 70 in the middle lane and always keep my eye on the left hand lane for joining cars then people moving into the middle lane. Although i must admit the only motorway driving i do is cheadle-trafford centre! I do know the order of the motorway but since its not like going though a red light i just use the middle lane more, reasons stated in my second post. But the next trip on the motorway i will try and drive in the left hand lane, but if there is a HGV in front I'm getting clear of it! I hate them, thats another topic though!!!

Wow this certainly has created a debate. I frequently use the middle lane as the majority of people drive less than 70mph in the left hand lane. It depends if it's busy though because if it is then frequent changing lanes will occur which is dangerous and if im in the left hand lane I find I need to constantly get into the middle lane so just tend to stay in the middle lane because I'm frankly too scared of judging the gaps to get in most of the time from going into the middle lane from the left. If it isn't busy then yes I drive in the left hand lane and overtake in the middle when I see something I need to overtake for then move back. I always move to the middle lane if I see a junction where people are joining because it's less hassle. Never been in a situation where Baggy Bear was in but she had no choice so couldn't move anywhere so the car joining the mway should have slowed down. The fast lane I never use unless I absolutely have to. The M1 does have 4 lanes on some parts but not all. In that case it does cause a bit of confusion but its much better and I think the 2 left lanes are for slower drivers probably for lorrys and the like and the 2 right hand lanes are for cars that can actually go to the speed limit. It does ease congestion. I drive from London to Sheffield so its M1 all the way. Love the 4 lanes. People just overtake as and when. Not been taught on 4 lanes however so I use it as I think. Roundabouts I hate however. I do get a bit anxious on mway though if I think other drivers aren't paying attention like veering and lorry's that I have to get past cos of the wind etc.

However my partner went to Nurburgring and he said German drivers are mental. Some of the stuff he saw. They force people into other lanes and stuff. They have autobahns so no speed limits. He loved it. He has a type r. I hold no responsibility for his driving. He drives fast lane all the way mway but that's him. Iv told him numerous times but he judges what feels safe for him but obviously it isn't. You are allowed 10% on top of the speed limit too. People don't stick to speed limits and you may not like it but it's a fact. Thats why I think the fines have come about but im not sure how it will work.

Thats my opinion.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using SalonGeek

I'm sure some driving instructors offer lessons after you have passed your test, so perfect for scenarios of building your skills such as motorway driving.

For those that are unsure of how it all works and still think of it as a slow, middle and fast lane, I think this will go a long way into helping you drive on the motorway safely and build your confidence up. Just a thought :biggrin:

Wow this certainly has created a debate. I frequently use the middle lane as the majority of people drive less than 70mph in the left hand lane. It depends if it's busy though because if it is then frequent changing lanes will occur which is dangerous and if im in the left hand lane I find I need to constantly get into the middle lane so just

Sent from my GT-I9305 using SalonGeek

Just had a journey from London to Bristol & back on Friday so thought I'd give the "left lane camping" a go. The drivers in the left lane were invariably slower, and of course there were all the HGV's. It was a constant shuffle to and fro between lorries, and on the way home I gave up on the experiment and quit "left lane hogging" to make life safer for those joining the motorway. If you are going 70 mph in the middle lane, you are not blocking it.

YES YOU ARE blocking the middle lane if your driving at ANY SPEED and staying there regardless of what is happening in the left lane.

Why do you call it left lane hogging?

You should be driving in the furthest left lane that you can (the simple rule is KEEP LEFT), if there are cars/lorries/busses in the left lane going slower than you are then you should be in the middle lane overtaking those cars/lorries/busses but as soon as there is not traffic in the left lane you MUST pull in to the left lane and continue your journey. If you then meet more cars/lorries/busses going slower than you, you go out in to the middle lane again until you have passed them. SIMPLE.

Middle lane hoggers mean that the motorways are effectively operating at 2/3 capacity, which leads to bottlenecking.
In any event, whether you agree with it or not, it's laid down in the Highway Code that thou shalt not hog the middle lane!

Reading this I now understand why I pass so many middle lane drivers that don't have a clue.

I feel this is very straight forward.

For those of you who don't know, understand or disregard the Highway Code please for the life if others, literally stay off the roads.

Fear and uncertainty on the roads is also a killer. If you don't like it, do t have enough confidence or just can't do it properly get some lessons.

Realise how disrespectful and dangerous your actions are. There are no excuses.

If you are going 70 mph in the middle lane, you are not blocking it.

And you clearly don't understand the Highway Code!
Please please take some lessons on motorway driving

Think of it this way:

You are driving along a normal road on the left hand side when you see a parked car infront of you, so you move out to the middle of the road to avoid hitting it. When you have done this, you move back to the left so that other cars coming the opposite way have room to drive since you are not sat in the middle. They can then use the middle of the road if they need to.

Now imagine the car that was coming at you was actually next to you. You drive along on the left and he's next to you in his car. Que parked car. You signal, car next door sees the parked car and moves out, you are then safe to move out. You both move back in and resume normal driving conditions until the next parked car.

And now it's a motorway - you lose your nerve and decide to sit in the middle because you can't be bothered to go round all those 'parked' cars in the left hand lane.

It really is rather simple and those who cannot understand it shouldn't be driving on motorways until they do.

I wouldn't say I'm the world's best driver but I don't let anyone bully me and I know the rules of the road and follow them. If you have passed your test, you should know all the rules....

Safe driving ;) x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

O.k, I did it. I drove from Cheshire to Berkshire and back again using the Highway Code rules about lanes and you know what? I found it so much better! My whole outlook was completely different and I also got really annoyed at the middle lane hoggers!

I'm converted. :D

O.k, I did it. I drove from Cheshire to Berkshire and back again using the Highway Code rules about lanes and you know what? I found it so much better! My whole outlook was completely different and I also got really annoyed at the middle lane hoggers!

I'm converted. :D

I'm so glad to hear it MM. I was wondering whether you'd be adopting your new found knowledge, and how you'd get on. Thanks for the update! xx

Latest posts

Back