Motorway middle lane hogging, fines?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't find ignorance about the rules of motorway driving funny, I find it infuriating. Why would anyone drive at such high speed without the confidence or understanding of what they are supposed to be doing, plus everyone else around them? The problem with just deciding to stick to a lane (instead of paying attention or bothering to learn the rules) is if you accidentally switch off for a minute (which happens, autopilot kicks in often on mways) then you don't notice what's happening around you, and I guarantee you will have caused a hold up once if not more often in your life. It happens All. The. Time.

Don't worry about it though, that person usually doesn't notice as they have no idea what's supposed to be happening anyway.

You know what annoys me more? I'd estimate 90% of the time it is women. What's that about??

If I sound like I'm on my soapbox it's because I can't believe how many people drive on motorways without knowing what the hell is going on. How are we so bad at this in the UK?

I don't find ignorance about the rules of motorway driving funny, I find it infuriating. Why would anyone drive at such high speed without the confidence or understanding of what they are supposed to be doing, plus everyone else around them? The problem with just deciding to stick to a lane (instead of paying attention or bothering to learn the rules) is if you accidentally switch off for a minute (which happens, autopilot kicks in often on mways) then you don't notice what's happening around you, and I guarantee you will have caused a hold up once if not more often in your life. It happens All. The. Time.

Don't worry about it though, that person usually doesn't notice as they have no idea what's supposed to be happening anyway.

You know what annoys me more? I'd estimate 90% of the time it is women. What's that about??

If I sound like I'm on my soapbox it's because I can't believe how many people drive on motorways without knowing what the hell is going on. How are we so bad at this in the UK?

The simple answer is it's because it's not included in the driving test. It should be. You can do it if you want to later, but it's not compulsory. I think that is where the problem lies. That's why idiots like me are driving around. We get relatives and friends to come on our first motorway drive and feed our heads full of rubbish.

Ive been driving for 8 years now, never had or caused a collision or accident, scrape or bump. Lucky escape.

There is always a motorway close by or they could have extended lessons to incorporate this.x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I live in Aberdeen the nearest motorway is at least 100 miles away :-D

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek

I only have a dual carriageway that is about a mile long where I live. I can't remember if motorway driving was covered in the highway code or not, but I've always known the rules of the road for them.

I'm just wondering how they are going to Police this? Also I would hope that they will spend the money gained from the fines on education. It's pointless telling someone off without reeducation.

It would be a fantastic if there was such a thing as a perfect driver :) everyone at one time or another has made a mistake of some kind & upset another driver, I think the key is to keep calm, relax & learn from your mistakes

I live in Aberdeen the nearest motorway is at least 100 miles away :-D

The A90 is suffice to learn motorway / dual carriage driving.

Last edited:
The simple answer is it's because it's not included in the driving test. It should be. You can do it if you want to later, but it's not compulsory. I think that is where the problem lies. That's why idiots like me are driving around. We get relatives and friends to come on our first motorway drive and feed our heads full of rubbish.

Ive been driving for 8 years now, never had or caused a collision or accident, scrape or bump. Lucky escape.

Roads are far too dangerous to excuse away your lack of knowledge.

It is your responsibility to learn. 8 years driving and you have no idea what your doing. I hope you can imaging how dangerous this has been.

Roads can be fatal, every respect should be given to them and there users.

I now understand why people think it is dangerous but i think there are more dangerous things on the motorway! Like drivers in front who brake unnecessarily at high speeds, that is dangerous! And drivers who are in the fast lane and are about to miss their junction so swerve all lanes just to get off, just get off at the next junction and work it out! Its not worth peoples lives!

As en ex copper I can explain - lanes 2 and 3 of the motorway are over taking lanes only, so use them to over take and then move back over.
Simple!!!

However if you are the only one on the motorway then drive where u want but move back over ASAP if another car approaches.

It's technically classes as careless and inconsiderate driving ( so that's the offence u commit)

Yes there are other dangerous offences committed, but they are unlikely to bring in a specific offence got " breaking sharply" etc but if witnesses by a copper and thought necessary to be classes as careless or inconsiderate u can be stuck on and in court. I prosecuted motorists for it many a time!
Hth

The A90 is suffice to learn motorway / dual carriage driving.

The dual carriage way is a lot different, do you not think :-D

Can anyone explain why "Middle Lane Hogging" at 70mph is a problem?

I do realise that it is a law and that it is in the Highway Code.

I am merely asking if there is anyone anywhere in the UK who knows if there is a logical reason for this law. I have even asked police officers and driving instructors about it and they do not know - merely that "that's how it's done in Britain".

In Saudi Arabia, it is a law that women must not drive. That does not necessarily make it a sensible law, or justify the existence of the law.

It seems illogical for everyone on the motorway to be camping out in the nearside lane, darting in and out amongst the HGV's, and blocking new cars joining the motorway from the slip roads.

I'm sure there must be a reason, but I've yet to hear one apart from "It's in the Highway Code".

If anyone can offer a valid reason, a Nobel Prize for logic awaits.

if someone wants to go faster than you in the middle lane then you should go to the right hand lane really. it causes traffic jams and slows the rest of the traffic down. you don't have to slow down in the right lane, you can go as fast as you like:) if there is a lorry or something going really slow then all you have to do is move to the middle lane to overtake then continue to the right side lane:) there is no reason for anybody to be in the middle lane unless you are overtaking. that's what I think anyway.

The dual carriage way is a lot different, do you not think :-D

Not really, it's a 70 mph in many places. Is a very busy route and the same overtake rules apply. Perhaps a good place to start as you only have two lanes of traffic to co cider. Driving M8 daily and A90 frequently I see no major difference.

Still wondering why "Middle Lane Hogging" at 70mph is a problem?

Why are the middle 2 lanes for passing only (note keyword: "Why")?

I'm sure there must be a reason, but I've yet to hear one apart from "The middle 2 lanes are for passing only, because the middle 2 lanes are for passing only."

There must be someone out there who knows why this law was brought in.

It seems dangerous for everyone on the motorway to be camping out in the nearside lane, darting in and out amongst the HGV's, and blocking new cars joining the motorway from the slip roads.

Still wondering why "Middle Lane Hogging" at 70mph is a problem?

Why are the middle 2 lanes for passing only (note keyword: "Why")?

I'm sure there must be a reason, but I've yet to hear one apart from "The middle 2 lanes are for passing only, because the middle 2 lanes are for passing only."

There must be someone out there who knows why this law was brought in.

It seems dangerous for everyone on the motorway to be camping out in the nearside lane, darting in and out amongst the HGV's, and blocking new cars joining the motorway from the slip roads.

For safety. It decreases the amount of potentially /likely fatal Road Traffic Collisions.

Could you imagine the chaos if there was no order. Perhaps you have an alternative??

Collisions.

For safety. It decreases the amount of potentially /likely fatal Road Traffic Collisions.

Could you imagine the chaos if there was no order. Perhaps you have an alternative??

Collisions.

Thanks Pauline -

In California, frequent lane changing is considered dangerous. It is also safer for new cars joining the motorway if the first lane is not blocked.

And this is the reason I do not drive on the motorway and never will. Ive been driving for nearly 5 years but ive never been on the motorway and now im too scared as I dont like going fast (anything over 40/50 to me!) If I did I would most likely just stay in the slow lane and id be more scared of causing an accident as id prob have a panic attack! I get very panicky as a passenger but I keep it in my head and not get the driver distracted! I once attempted to ease myself into driving on the motorway but ut never happened as I had a panic attack before id even reached it :/

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek

The mway aint a swimming pool! Its not fast lane, normal lane, slow lane.

Keep left unless overtaking (or letting someone in from a slip road on an a road). Source: driving lessons and consideration for safety.

And this is the reason I do not drive on the motorway and never will. Ive been driving for nearly 5 years but ive never been on the motorway and now im too scared as I dont like going fast (anything over 40/50 to me!) If I did I would most likely just stay in the slow lane and id be more scared of causing an accident as id prob have a panic attack! I get very panicky as a passenger but I keep it in my head and not get the driver distracted! I once attempted to ease myself into driving on the motorway but ut never happened as I had a panic attack before id even reached it :/

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek

Empathy <3 i avoid them where possible. A roundabout can be enough adrenalin for me!

Thanks Pauline -

In California, frequent lane changing is considered dangerous. It is also safer for new cars joining the motorway if the first lane is not blocked.
The thing is if you are driving along in the left lane and you see cars joining at a junction you can move out into the middle lane in plenty of time - that is you can move out into the middle lane so long as there is nobody already there hogging it.

I had an incident just last week where somone joining the motorway didn't slow down and forced themselves onto the left lane while I was in it (they almost drove into the side of me), I tried to move out into the middle lane and let them on to the left lane but there was someone in the middle lane who didn't attempt to move over into the right lane so there were 3 cars squeezed into 2 lanes and the right lane was empty.

I was extreemly lucky to have managed to speed up and get myself out of the situation without any damage to anyone or anything.

If the driver joining the motorway had slowed like they should have then they could have joined behind me as there was nothing behind me in the left lane but they must have thought the middle lane was empty and that I would move over (they obviously couldn't see the car the other side of me as I drive a Zafira and the car was smaller than mine) the problem was the middle lane was not empty and that meant I nearly had a car drive into the side of me.

Latest posts

Back