MP3's and i pods ???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah Lou

Scatty Blonde Geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Hidey ho geeks,

Does anyone know the difference between mp3 players and i pods, apart from the price of course.

Hubbys hinted he would like one for xmas

i would just like to know what either are...and what you do with them....? apparently all the kids at school have one .... or so i am told (by my daughter) ....call me old fashioned but wont a new cd for her to play in her bedroom be just as good.

i just got an iPod shuffle - iPods and mp3 are basically the same thing, just iPod is Apples version of a portable MP3 player. u can get other MP3 players bith do the same thing - play MP3's (which are the digital version of a sound i.e u don't but cd's/cassettes in it) just plug it in to the USB on your PC/Mac and pop your songs on and jobs a gud un!! they are stored on there for u to play until u wanna take em off and put more on or add some more etc HTH xx

Lovely jubbly, cheers for that hun. Might stick with the mp3 player, ipods well expensive, i know I love him but do i love him that much lol

they are basically the same thing - just the name thats different - the price depends on how many songs (mp3's) they hold - the more they will hold they more expensive etc xxx

Theres the new ipod nano thats smaller and only holds 500 tracks thats a lot cheaper x

MP3 is the name of the music file (like a word document is .doc) and iPod is a device to play MP3 files on (and damn fine they are too :D )

MP4's are video/dvd

I think the ipods are 219 pounds or 299 pounds. Amanda F bought a gadget recently where you can record tv programmes on it!

I man (gadget man) thinks the ipods are overhyped and overpriced. Needless to say< I have one! Think they are great, sometimes a little heavy and the battery struggles on long flights but otherwise great. my little girl has a creative zen which stores even more music and has a radio, syncs with outlook and has good battery life and this was 1/2 the price of an ipod.
Hope this helps
Cathyx

j have a phillips mp3 and it stores thousands of songs on it, i have about 50 albums on it and its still got loads of memory on it, i think mine has got a 4 gb memory though

The creative zens are fab got my daughter one for her birthday :D
But why anyone needs to store 1,000 songs is beyond me lol

Lellipop,

You are obviously a youngster, otherwise you would know you just HAVE to have all the 70's, 80's, 90's and 20's favourite songs plus all the audio books you can get your hands on!

PS Needless to say, I have found a FREE site that works with Itunes!

Cathyx

right so its a music box that you use to download music from the net...but i thought this was illigal...? or is there a certain place that you download from...sorry but i really havent a clue about them....and if i am going to get one for my daughter i wanna know if its going to be worth while....she is 10...is she too young for one...?

Downloading songs is fine as long as you pay for them.
Woolworths is a fab site to download chart stuff from as they update it every week with the new singles and stuff, another great site is www.mp3search.ru where the tracks are a cheap-as-chips 10 cents each.
Of course you can also MP3 your own CDs with a program like AudioGrabber and put them on your MP3 player the same way as you'd make a mix tape for a Walkman.

Talking of Walkman - they are bringing out the Bean MP3 Walkman which is gorgeous, it even comes in pink.

To be honest I don't have an MP3 player for the same reason I don't have a discman - I don't go jogging or anything that would require 'mobile' music. I have a stereo in my car that plays MP3 CDs and that does it for me.

You don't have to download them via the net though, you can copy your CD collection onto your computer and paste them from their it is mcuh cheaper this way.

IMHO an MP3 player is fab if you have a need for it. Most people get on and it sits there, a very expensive ornamant! I used mine down the gym, so it gets its moneys worth!!!

Ipods are great but there is no difference, your paying for the name!!!

HTH

bimbogeri said:
Downloading songs is fine as long as you pay for them.
Woolworths is a fab site to download chart stuff from as they update it every week with the new singles and stuff, another great site is www.mp3search.ru where the tracks are a cheap-as-chips 10 cents each.
Of course you can also MP3 your own CDs with a program like AudioGrabber and put them on your MP3 player the same way as you'd make a mix tape for a Walkman.

Talking of Walkman - they are bringing out the Bean MP3 Walkman which is gorgeous, it even comes in pink.

To be honest I don't have an MP3 player for the same reason I don't have a discman - I don't go jogging or anything that would require 'mobile' music. I have a stereo in my car that plays MP3 CDs and that does it for me.

the apple store in the bull ring has like a bar thingy, where u take ur ipod to be fixed, which instantly sez to me it might break. i know alot of people who've had to have them fixed and my one mate is on his 4th one now!!! :|

They r a cult thing, if you dont have little white earphones stuck to your head then ur not cool.

I also dont have the need for one, but if i did id be more likely to buy a normal mp3 player.

xx

i have a mini ipod and i would be lost without it. Not only do i have @700 tracks on it I also have a few audio books.

I have a Creative Zen Prtable Media Centre which does MP3 and movies and pics which is cool, but not as portable as a standard MP3 player (though pretty close!)

Personally I would go with a zen MP3 or something non apple. The only reason being is that even though Apple has cornered the market on MP3 players, you are stuck using I-Tunes for getting your tracks.
Other MP3 players let you use a variety of online music stores which means you have more choice.

For instance, I use Napster To Go which I pay a monthly fee for (about the price of a cd a month) and it allows me to download ANYTHING they have to my MP3 player at no charge. You cant do that (AFAIK) with I-Tunes.

Just my 2 cents :)

The Nail Geek said:
I have a Creative Zen Prtable Media Centre which does MP3 and movies and pics which is cool, but not as portable as a standard MP3 player (though pretty close!)

Personally I would go with a zen MP3 or something non apple. The only reason being is that even though Apple has cornered the market on MP3 players, you are stuck using I-Tunes for getting your tracks.
Other MP3 players let you use a variety of online music stores which means you have more choice.

Just my 2 cents :)
crap just orderd my son an apple I pod for xmas:irked:

The saying is true - if you dont know ask a fellow geek!
Fab thread! answers almost all the questions I have been meaning to ask but never got round to. Couple left ~
http://www.mp3search.ru/ ~ can I download from here to CD's? is there a better place to do that from?
Also where can I download movies to write to DVD's?

MTIA
KxXx

I have an apple one - ok for me tough cos i work on an apple mac. mine hasn't broke or anything yet - i think breakages may be down to people dropping them etc perhaps xx

Latest posts

Back