Music in the salon.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magpiesoup

Reaction score
Can anyone give me some ideas on ambient music that won`t put us to sleep.I want good tracks that are not to thumping as we have massage therapy and aesthetics in other parts of the building and I would like the music we play there to be "compatible" with what we play.But i don`t want it to so "spa"like it puts my stylists to sleep?:zzz::lol:I`ll try anything except country...:irked:

I love Enya tbh... very relaxing but not sleep inducing.

I love Enya tbh... very relaxing but not sleep inducing.

Aye, I'm a big Enya fan too.

Other music that I think might work includes:

Ludovico Einaudi - chilled out, contemporary classical piano music. Try Le Onde and Una Mattina.

Era - Gregorian-style chants (courtesy of the English Chamber Choir), with electric guitar and beats. Sounds vaguely similar to Enigma. Well worth a listen. I'd go for their "Very Best of Era" album as this has a collection of their best tunes.

Loreena McKennitt - she sings a fusion of Celtic/folk/world music - a very eclectic sound; some people have compared her music to Enya, but she has quite a different sound, despite the Celtic similarities.

Probably others too when I remember them lol...

Escala... classical with a twist. Very enjoyable. Played quietly would be nice maybe.

I also like Vanessa Mae but she may be a bit less spa/relaxing than upbeat/invigorating tbh.

I get annoyed by sea sounds and things.. sounds to much like white noice to me. :rolleyes:

Escala... classical with a twist. Very enjoyable. Played quietly would be nice maybe.

I also like Vanessa Mae but she may be a bit less spa/relaxing than upbeat/invigorating tbh.

I get annoyed by sea sounds and things.. sounds to much like white noice to me. :rolleyes:

Oh yes, Escala are fab! Electric string quartet - kind of classical crossover I guess you'd describe their music as. We have their album here.

As for sea sounds - one of the albums of that genre that I do like is "Out of the Depths - De Profundis" by Terry Oldfield - but then he is Mike Oldfield's brother! That's a mixture of whale sounds with flute, keyboards and female vocals. Very chilled out though.

Teamed with music its nice, but on its own I dont like it... I guess because Im smack bang in the middle of the country I feel its a bit out of place lol. Maybe if I had a spa treat by the sea Id feel differently.

I love panpipe music though, so relaxing and makes me think of South America... nice.

Just be aware that if you do play music in your salon, you do need to have a PRS License (Performing Rights Society) to play music in a public place - especially stuff that has not been approved for public use, as I'm sure you can buy some cd's that are for public use.

Check this out.......

Hair and Beauty

I run a home salon & do not play any music, as I am 1-2-1 with my clients and we chat, but the PRS ring me up approx twice a year. They ask if I play music in my salon & I tell them it gets in the way of conversation!!! And when they find I'm home based anyway they go away!

Last edited:
Also - talking of sea sounds - one album that I really like is "Oceanic" by Vangelis. But this is more "impressions" of the sea rather than sea sounds per se; it's a lush sounding instrumental/electronica album with some simply lovely moments. And on a similar theme, his "Voices" album could also work well for a salon environment too as it's (in the main) quite chilled out. You might recognise track 5 ("Ask the Mountains") from the Hotpoint Aqualtis washing machine advert from a couple of years ago.

Then other albums that I think would also work well are the Classic FM "Relax and Escape" compilation - that's a 4 CD set of chilled out classical music - and quite an eclectic mix too - a mixture of orchestral, choral, vocal and instrumental music.

Bands like zero 7 are brilliant, Morcheeba, there are some really good instumental bands about that arent too...how do i put it, dowdy ! lol

Bands like zero 7 are brilliant, Morcheeba, there are some really good instumental bands about that arent too...how do i put it, dowdy ! lol

Oh yes. What about Royksopp and Groove Armada, etc...

Oh Vangelas and Jean Micheal Jarre.. I love them.
How about Stings album Fields of Gold... so chillaxing.

Oh Vangelas and Jean Micheal Jarre.. I love them.
How about Stings album Fields of Gold... so chillaxing.

Definitely Vangelis and Jean-Michel Jarre! Thinking along similar lines, there's a Japanese musician I really like called Kitaro who has recorded a lot of nice chilled out albums featuring a lot of electronic instruments, but many with a distinctly Oriental vibe. "The Light of the Spirit" is one of my fave Kitaro albums...

Just be aware that if you do play music in your salon, you do need to have a PRS License (Performing Rights Society) to play music in a public place - espeacially stuff that has not been approved for public use, as I'm sure you can buy some cd's that are for public use.

Check this out.......

Hair and Beauty

I run a home salon & do not play any music, as I am 1-2-1 with my clients and we chat, but the PRS ring me up approx twice a year. They ask if I play music ion my salon & I tell them it gets in the way of conversation!!! And when they find I'm home based anyway they go away!

Not only do you need a PRS licence but you also need a PPL licence too.
You can buy cd's in the shop that don't need a licence but these are more expensive.
I hate peaceful music-lol.
We have the radio and cd's on in the salon. My beautician plays some relaxing cd or the radio.
My colon hydrotherapist plays some kind of pipe music (very apt!)-drives me nuts.
Am having a treatment on Saturday and am taking my Meatloaf cd in to listen to :)

Not only do you need a PRS licence but you also need a PPL licence too.
You can buy cd's in the shop that don't need a licence but these are more expensive.
I hate peaceful music-lol.
We have the radio and cd's on in the salon. My beautician plays some relaxing cd or the radio.
My colon hydrotherapist plays some kind of pipe music (very apt!)-drives me nuts.
Am having a treatment on Saturday and am taking my Meatloaf cd in to listen to :)

Absolutely right! PPl, that is....here's a link......
PPL : Home

This little gizmo might come in handy for playing music too, particularly if you've got several treatment rooms, Logitech Squeezebox - it streams music from a computer over a wireless network, so you won't end up with lots of different CDs cluttering up the salon, or risk getting wax stuck on them or anything nasty like that lol... that's what I use at home anyway and I swear by it lol...

Oh yes. What about Royksopp and Groove Armada, etc...

Ah Ha ! royksopp thats the band i could not think of, Moloko too i love Moloko ! and groove amada, at the beach what a tune, we have such good taste ruth lol

Ah Ha ! royksopp thats the band i could not think of, Moloko too i love Moloko ! and groove amada, at the beach what a tune, we have such good taste ruth lol

Oh yes!!! Is "At the Beach" the one with that sultry trombone solo that ended up on the M&S advert? Love that tune!!!

Latest posts

Back