My 1st Critique Please DON'T be gentle!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sachi

Reaction score
Ok So I know the Apex on the thumb is Off! This is all hand sanded, hand sculpted, colors are CND custom blend. My real nails stop where the pink stats. I wanted to have a Natural look to my nails this week. Smil line is MY natural smile line. :green:
Don't hold back!!!!!!! Tell me like it is! :Scared:

They are THAT bad?? LOL

First of all let me tell you this not the best angle for a critique picture. Either a angle looking directly down on the nail, sideways or down the barrel, but preferably all of them. Also there is a bit of excess of cuticle oil, this makes it very hard to tell if your work is nice an tidy around the cuticles, or if it is touching the skin etc.
Now for my critique. The first thing that drew my attention was the color, specially the free edge, it is very grey and unatural, looks stained and so not very flatering. The nail bed color is also a bit off, too pink in my opinion.
It is hard to tell the shape of the nails due to the angle of the picture, but they are unconsistent and i would say they lack a shape, they are neither square, squoval, round or oval. Try selecting a shape, see what are the caracteristics of that shape and try to stick with it on ALL nails.
Apex and product placement is very hard to tell, again due to the angle of the picture, but as you said, the thumb if off, and the rest look a bit too thick of the free edge. A natural looking, balanced nail should be thin of free edge, sidewalls and around the cuticle and thicker over the stress area. To determine exactly where this is press downwards on the free edge of the nail. See that part of the nail becoming withish? That is the stress area...
Overall, hope i wasn't too harsh... After all i did do terrible nails when i started off. Congrats to you for posting, hope you pick up on the flaws. After all, it is a learning curve ;)

THANKS! I will take what you said and work with it!:hug:

As Prionace said the pic is not really good enough to give a complete critique so go off take some others and re post.
The best angles are down the barrel, sides, looking down and from behind.
These will give you a look at the nail from all angles and gives you a good idea of the over all shape of the nail.

Have a look through the albums and other critiques for an idea on the correct angles.
I agree with the colour of the nail I do not think is is flattering to the finger but well done for posting.
:hug:

First off well done for biting the bullet and posting, taht in itself is a real feat.
I agree the angle of the pic makes it hard to critique properly, but from what I can see here are a couple of pointers.
  • The shape as mentioned previously is inconsistant on all the nails
  • You need to refine your filing, the little finger looks flat, the apex is off in the thumb as you already mentioned, the middle finger looks to wide and bulky.
  • The Index finger is bulbous and uneven at the free edge
  • It looks like you need to bring in the sidewalls on all the nails from what I can see.
  • And the colour as mentioned does look dirty at the fe and too pink for the nail bed.
Have you got Geeg's Nailclass book?
If not I highly recomend it, It will help with your filing.
All the nils in my album are hand filed it is so much easier that using a drill.
When you do your refining and finishing keep checking the nail from all angles, barrel, front, side to side profile.
And the lines of light are a brilliant way to check for any uneveness and issues.
HTH
Jen xx

Latest posts

Back