My awful hair please help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elbarrett

Reaction score
Hiya I've not done hairdressing for over 10 years but do have my NVQ Level 2 qualification and was qualified for 3 years before having my daughter and didn't go back.
Anyway I had my hair balayaged in a salon and she used olaplex with it which I've never had on my hair before. My hair has always been really greasy and never ever needed to use conditioner on it let alone a treatment (I do have PK primer spray though). The only thing is, I have started to wash it and it feels very dry and matted after shampooing and also have to use a lot of conditioner with it. When using a wide toothed comb before drying it, there's strands coming out and my brush is full of hair. I am using drugstore items which I know are bad and feel guilty for using them.
I used to work with Paul Mitchell then Tigi but is there anything that any of you could recommend me to use please?

I am 36 btw. I haven't seen a doctor yet.

Thanks in advance.

Hiya I've not done hairdressing for over 10 years but do have my NVQ Level 2 qualification and was qualified for 3 years before having my daughter and didn't go back.
Anyway I had my hair balayaged in a salon and she used olaplex with it which I've never had on my hair before. My hair has always been really greasy and never ever needed to use conditioner on it let alone a treatment (I do have PK primer spray though). The only thing is, I have started to wash it and it feels very dry and matted after shampooing and also have to use a lot of conditioner with it. When using a wide toothed comb before drying it, there's strands coming out and my brush is full of hair. I am using drugstore items which I know are bad and feel guilty for using them.
I used to work with Paul Mitchell then Tigi but is there anything that any of you could recommend me to use please?

I am 36 btw. I haven't seen a doctor yet.

Thanks in advance.
Your hair has been compromised by the lightener. Olaplex isn't to blame.
What drug store shampoos have you been using?
There's a possibility that there was a residue on the hair, which could have caused a chemical reaction.
Was your hair coloured before the balayage?

Your hair has been compromised by the lightener. Olaplex isn't to blame.
What drug store shampoos have you been using?
There's a possibility that there was a residue on the hair, which could have caused a chemical reaction.
Was your hair coloured before the balayage?
I had a balayage before and it never felt like this! I am a level 8 and go white blonde on 10vol bleach fyi. I use Paul Mitchell shampoo 2 occasionally for build up although not used this for around a year.
I have been using Dove, Tresemme, Aussie mainly. I used Biolage a month ago but made it extremely greasy.

I had a balayage before and it never felt like this! I am a level 8 and go white blonde on 10vol bleach fyi. I use Paul Mitchell shampoo 2 occasionally for build up although not used this for around a year.
I have been using Dove, Tresemme, Aussie mainly. I used Biolage a month ago but made it extremely greasy.
Dove, tressemme and aussie are all heavily silicone based. They also contain metalic salts.
Metalic salts will react to bleach, creating a chewy - soft stringy hair texture after the colouring process.
Being a qualified hairdresser I'm surprised you uses the above shampoos.
The silicone content in all those shampoos will also make your hair seem greasy.
I'd strongly recommend that you change your shampoo and conditioner.
The tigi bed head and catwalk range has dramatically dropped in price, and is now widely available. I'd recommend the dumb blonde duo or catwalk oatmeal and honey.
You need to strengthen the hair back up.
Reduce heat styling at the moment for a while too if possible.
If you do need to heat style make sure you're using a good heat protector.
Did your hairdresser do a strand test or incompatibility test?

Dove, tressemme and aussie are all heavily silicone based. They also contain metalic salts.
Metalic salts will react to bleach, creating a chewy - soft stringy hair texture after the colouring process.
Being a qualified hairdresser I'm surprised you uses the above shampoos.
The silicone content in all those shampoos will also make your hair seem greasy.
I'd strongly recommend that you change your shampoo and conditioner.
The tigi bed head and catwalk range has dramatically dropped in price, and is now widely available. I'd recommend the dumb blonde duo or catwalk oatmeal and honey.
You need to strengthen the hair back up.
Reduce heat styling at the moment for a while too if possible.
If you do need to heat style make sure you're using a good heat protector.
Did your hairdresser do a strand test or incompatibility test?
She did a strand test and and was fine my hairs always been really good condition until now. I shall get some bed head I used to love Dumb Blonde and I do have the oatmeal and honey shampoo but last time I used it (couple of months ago) it made my hair greasy so started using other stuff. I'll get rid of all the cheap crap and get professional only. Thanks for your help!

She did a strand test and and was fine my hairs always been really good condition until now. I shall get some bed head I used to love Dumb Blonde and I do have the oatmeal and honey shampoo but last time I used it (couple of months ago) it made my hair greasy so started using other stuff. I'll get rid of all the cheap crap and get professional only. Thanks for your help!
Dumb blonde is a good balance of moisture and protein, so it will strengthen the hair, give moisture and some elasticity back.
I'd consider using a repair mask or Olaplex no 3 once a week for a little while too. Just to boost it

Dumb blonde is a good balance of moisture and protein, so it will strengthen the hair, give moisture and some elasticity back.
I'd consider using a repair mask or Olaplex no 3 once a week for a little while too. Just to boost it
Ok thank you for the advice! I have got some dumb blonde shampoo and conditioner which I shall use when I next wash my hair. I will look into getting a a repair mask or the no3 olaplex too.

Just coming on to add that Olaplex itself isn’t a conditioner but a bond builder so it repairs the broken bonds within the hair but it won’t affect the feel of the cuticle layer so you’d still need to add moisture and protein.

You can buy a conditioner that contains Olaplex but your hairdresser will usually either add the basic Olaplex to the bleach/tint mix when carrying out your service or offer you an Olaplex deep conditioning treatment as a separate service.

Latest posts

Back