My cat's been injured. Advice needed until I can get to a vet

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Littlegems1

Reaction score
Hi all geeks

My little cat has come home injured at 12.30.
At first I thought it was just her front left leg, I couldn't tell if it was her paw,elbow or shoulder but she can't put any weight on it.
I've tried to feel around and she growls at me whenever I touch her right side by her ribs and tummy.
She's also got a lump/spot on her tummy but she won't let me look.
I've managed to get her booked into a vets at 5pm today but I don't no what to do in the meantime.
She's just managed to get comfy in the last half hour and is sleeping at the mo.
Her gums have gone light and I'm assume ing she is in shock. I've covered her with a blanket , she Dosent seem cold though.
She responds when I shake her treats by looking but is not interested in eating or drinking.
Is there anything I can do? Have any of you guys been in this situation?
I'm so stressed and upset :( any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Xxx

Hi

Didnt like to read and run..

So sorry to hear this :( its ever so distressing when pets get hurt isnt it..

I dont have any knowledge of anything like this but to be honest it sounds like you are doing everything right, if she deteriorates then i would phone the vets and say she needs to be seen right away.

Shes obviously still very with it it if shes growling at you and responding and is not cold so i think if they cant see her till 5pm, just keep and eye on her!! The fact that she came home is a good sign as usually when they are really sick they go off and hide :( and if shes sleeping happily then i really would just keep an eye :)

Sorry for not being much help, hope someone else has something more helpfull..

Really hope your cats okay.. Post an upate :) x

Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it... Ill let you no how we get on xxx

Keep her warm. Can she get comfy on your lap? If not, just keep her wrapped in the blanket. Avoid food or water in case she needs an op.

Oh no...I really hope she is ok.

It's really upsetting when the pets are unwell and can't tell us what is wrong, hopefully she'll be as fit as a fiddle in no time, demanding treats and tummy tickles.

Please let us know how she gets on at the vet :hug:

Hi all

Many thanks for your replies, kept me abit sane whilst I was waiting for the vets.

My little gems is ok ish now. The vet thought she was in a fight as she was bruised around her legs and ribs and also had some bite marks on her belly :(

His given her antibiotics and pain relief and she's ok now, just quiet . Lots of cuddles and treats now.

Thank you all again for taking the time to reply.

Xxx

Aww poor little thing. Im glad shes ok and isnt in pain. I bet thats a relief having it over and done with now..

Oh it's such a relief, I thought she had been run over and I started panicking when I read up on shock. So so glad she's on the mend now. Xxx

So pleased to hear shes on the mend :) x

Aw so glad your cats ok Hun. My cat got hit by a car 2 weeks ago and broke her tail as well as damaging her nerves so she can't go to the toilet herself, totally understand how you feel! Xxxx

I'm glad she's okay. :) It's so horrible seeing animals in pain.

When I was living in the USA, my cat (he's in England with me now) started acting lethargic, would meow in pain when I touched him, and was not acting like himself at all. I took him to the emergency vet around 10pm (an expensive trip...about £230), where they ran all sorts of tests on him, and never came to any conclusive result...they gave him antibiotics and a painkiller and he was fine after that. Still no idea what was wrong, and it was probably nothing serious, but I don't regret taking him to the vet even though it was no expensive. I couldn't stand to see him in distress.

Hi all

Many thanks for your replies, kept me abit sane whilst I was waiting for the vets.

My little gems is ok ish now. The vet thought she was in a fight as she was bruised around her legs and ribs and also had some bite marks on her belly :(

His given her antibiotics and pain relief and she's ok now, just quiet . Lots of cuddles and treats now.

Thank you all again for taking the time to reply.

Xxx

I'm so glad she is okay. Lots of hugs and attention and she will be fine in no time :) xxx

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

My male cat wiggles went to the vet last week after coming in with a gash on his leg, so took him to the vets at 9pm and the y stitched him up etc. They said he must of been in a fight or caught it when jumping. Got charged £370 for sutures and a consultation! Thank god for insurance!

I find cats quite resilient and I'm the one who panics when they are hurt. Think my 2 are just easy going.

Glad your cat is ok now though. Xxxx

I'm glad she's on the mend!

I always wonder what they get up to while they're outside...I might start to follow mine and spy on them!

One of mine came back in with an abscess on his eye a couple of weeks ago after having a fight...I wanted to keep him in and wrap him up in bubble wrap! Xx

I'm so glad to hear that she's feeling much better after a visit to the vet. It's so distressing when animals are in pain or injured.

A couple of years ago now, my cat came home dragging his leg behind him but wasn't in any pain. Like you, we thought he'd been run over. It turned out he had torn his cruciate ligament (apparently common in persians) and needed an operation followed by 6-10 weeks in a dog sized cage.

It cost a small fortune but was totally worth it and we knew when he was ready to come out of the cage once he was his usual feisty self. He figured out that if he hooked his paw under the plastic base of the cage he could ping it against the bars and make a wonderful racket. At 3am i caved and let him out at 5 1/2 weeks lol. Luckily he's been fine since, but it was a shock.

Lots of cuddles for your little one and i'm sure she'll be feeling very loved and better in no time xx

Oh poor baby; hope the kitty is better now. That's what worries me about cats - we don't know what they get up to! I would love to attach a camera to the collar to see what adventures they go on!

Latest posts

Back