My first competition nails (salon style)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpina

Reaction score
I did this set of nails for Strut Your Stuff junior comp. In the photos I can see so many flaws and mistakes but entered anyway for the feedback.

I'd really appreciate the critiques - I'm determined to improve and at least place next year. Thanks!

Attachments

• Barrel Shot.jpg
    Barrel Shot.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 1,172
  • Close Up.jpg
    Close Up.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 1,847
  • Side View.jpg
    Side View.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 976
to start with, I would advise you to remove the natural free edge when doing a comp set. you will notice it's even easier to pinch and place your form/tip ;)

then as you sure saw, there are filing marks, then your apex isn't 100% right... for me the smile line is not smiling enough and the free edge is a bit too short.

also pay attention to your model... choose the one with the best looking hands, as a beautiful set will look even better.

still, very good job for the lacquer application, may I know which one you used?

to start with, I would advise you to remove the natural free edge when doing a comp set. you will notice it's even easier to pinch and place your form/tip ;)
I didn't even think to do that, but it would look so much nicer without the visible free edge - I didn't pinch though, the competition was salon style nails and doesn't require a competition style C curve

then as you sure saw, there are filing marks, then your apex isn't 100% right... for me the smile line is not smiling enough and the free edge is a bit too short.
I saw all that and more:cry: but what is wrong with the apex? Of the faults I see I thought the apex was pretty good. I'm not saying you are wrong, I really would like to know how the apex should be placed.

The free edge was slightly longer to begin, but as I'm sure you can see, some of the corners got rounded off too much, so the nail had to be shortened a bit, then the corners got rounded off again...

also pay attention to your model... choose the one with the best looking hands, as a beautiful set will look even better.
My poor Mum always has to be my model, she has the best nail beds of all my possible guinea pigs

still, very good job for the lacquer application, may I know which one you used?
The polish is Company Red by CND

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer, it's amazing how many flaws show up on camera. It's great to have a fresh set of eyes to critique your work because to the untrained eye the flaws are not there.

Yeah all of the above but not bad though for your first comp luv and your polish ap is really good! Keep going each one gets better xxx

Watch your filing of the side walls on the little finger and they would be better long, also i think it's harder to do smiley nails when sculpting less your a fab with sculpting..they are sculpted rnt they, they look it but picture's can be misleading.

Also as someone else mentioned watch your filing on the nail try keep it all even watch some videos on filing..go on nailangel website there are plenty of video's to be watched there..

Your polish is fantastic!!!
xx

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer, it's amazing how many flaws show up on camera. It's great to have a fresh set of eyes to critique your work because to the untrained eye the flaws are not there.
any time.

for the apex, your apex has to be the same on every nail, plus with this shape, you have to place your form so that the free edge willbe in the continuity of the nail/finger. on a straight line if you will. along with the upper arch.

thanks for the ref of the lacquer ;)

as for the model choice.. I look every woman's nails anywhere i go.. bus, train, shows... if there's one with lovely long nail beds... I go and ask her if she wants free nails done.. usually it works. i have a few models now to choose from.
mind you one of my mentor pays his models even... so you can find, just look!

I see what you mean about the apex now, they are different. I tend to look at one nail, see if it looks good, then move on to the next nail. I need to work on consistency, and I do often file the corners of my smile off when filing the sidewalls, not sure how to avoid this because if I file less the sidewalls aren't straight enough :irked:

These are actually not sculpted though, they are done with cnd performance tips - I wasn't brave enough to attempt sculpting for a comp.

I see what you mean about the apex now, they are different. I tend to look at one nail, see if it looks good, then move on to the next nail. I need to work on consistency, and I do often file the corners of my smile off when filing the sidewalls, not sure how to avoid this because if I file less the sidewalls aren't straight enough :irked:

These are actually not sculpted though, they are done with cnd performance tips - I wasn't brave enough to attempt sculpting for a comp.
HA! I used to do one nail at a time, make it perfect, go to the next...
you'll achieve a perfect set doing so if you only do the same nails everytime...

in my latest master training we trained to work all 10 nails... you save up time when you master it. also figure out which nail you tend to screw everytime... I know I mess up the ring ringer of the right hand (can't explain why) so I always start filing the pinky right hand, make it look good, so that when i file my "black sheep" I have a good nail to refer to.

as for not filing the corners, you have to mentally drew lines on the nail, these will help you seeing how you file.
like, it should make a cross.
then you need to keep your file parallel to those lines. parallele to the bigger line, to define your parallel/sidewalls, and the other parallel to have a square shape.

Latest posts

Back