My gel nails are flat as a pancake!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLUSKERM

Reaction score
I have trained in brisa gel a while ago and just cant seem to get a nice shape. in fact i think get a nice shape freeze cure and then by the end of my set its gone!! I seem to get spade shaped flat nails that fan out , i am trying not to get on the skin so maybe i over compensate by having too much else were. I dont get lifting which is a bonus just crap looking nails in my opinion!!! I have read tutorials etc but i find my gel seems to run into side walls , it doesnt seem stiff enough!! Getting one to one in new year but any tips as i have got three sets to do in next few days, dont have problem with liquid and powder just gel , i am going to get my dusty nail trainer out.:eek:

I have trained in brisa gel a while ago and just cant seem to get a nice shape. in fact i think get a nice shape freeze cure and then by the end of my set its gone!! I seem to get spade shaped flat nails that fan out , i am trying not to get on the skin so maybe i over compensate by having too much else were. I dont get lifting which is a bonus just crap looking nails in my opinion!!! I have read tutorials etc but i find my gel seems to run into side walls , it doesnt seem stiff enough!! Getting one to one in new year but any tips as i have got three sets to do in next few days, dont have problem with liquid and powder just gel , i am going to get my dusty nail trainer out.:eek:

are you getting any breakages? if not then you are BUILDING structure in the right places !

How flat are we talking?

Are you applying the gel like polish?

Have you tried adding a small pea sized bit of gel to the stress area and teasing it out ..then freeze curing

Dont worry to much about getting it too smooth in the beginning it will shape up nicely with a file until your more competant with your brush - practise makes perfect!

Whats your proceedure?

AMB xxxx

I am not getting breakages or lifting, just think they are chunky looking and flat! Nobody has complained but when i compare them to what my l and p look like i think they look unelegant! I prep the use liquid bond, then i do thin layer or gel and work in to the nail, then i apply paint on white if they want french and tidy up with brush if needed i freeze cure two at a time. Then i would apply the structure as on video working back to zone three, i freeze cure each one , then fully cure. I then apply more to apex and cure , then i scrubfresh and shape with file , then apply gloss.
Now that i think about it i am getting too much gel at the free edge, should i be applying structure then filing then using brush on white , then another layer , only i put white on first to avoid filing off!:)

sounds like just a bit of refining of 'shape' that you need which you can 'tweak' with your one to one.

If youre not getting lifting or breaking thats half the battle won!

AMb xx

Thanks for advice, i think i am maybe using too much gel , because i find a more gel easier to get smooth if you know what i mean it seems to float better, when i use a smaller bead i get lumps and bumps! definetly a case of one to one.:)

This is why i prefer a non levelling builder gel....its thick and stays where you put it...gives great shape and strength.....self levelling gels are great for your final layers or for clients who have a nice nail shape.

Try turning the hands upside down under the lamp. This causes the gel to fall to the lowest level - the apex - whist it's curing.
Do the thumb separately though !
Alternatively, do one nail on one hand then while it's fully curing under the lamp, do another nail on the other hand.
HTH

Brisa is different thou, yes it self levels the but wont run into your side walls unless your sticking WAY too much on, UV T/C has a tendancy to run if you are again using too much, if your clear or pink brisa gels are as runny as your UV T/C then I suggest u contact CND and get a replacement (if they arnt that old) it could be faulty it could just be your application.

Thanks for advice, i think i am maybe using too much gel , because i find a more gel easier to get smooth if you know what i mean it seems to float better, when i use a smaller bead i get lumps and bumps!

Brisa Gel is NOT a self levelling gel.
It stays right where you put it. If it self levelled, you would not get lumps and bumps either.

I hate gels that self level ... who wants that?

You are using way too much gel in all likely hood as you have already acknowleged.

I taught a class with Brisa yesterday and fell in love with it all over again. Why? Because you can build a beautiful shaped nail with it and it stays exactly the same shape after it has been cured. I barely had to file them.

My trick ... I place my builder bead down the centre of the nail from eponychium to free edge (like a worm). I then just tease a small amount of product from this central reservation to each side, down the whole length, which leaves a 'spine' of thicker product in the centre of the nail. This gives a beautiful shape as well as great strength.

Brisa Gel is NOT a self levelling gel. It stays right where you put it. If it self levelled, you would not get lumps and bumps either.

I hate gels that self level ... who wants that?

You are using way too much gel in all likely hood as you have already acknowleged.

I taught a class with Brisa yesterday and fell in love with it all over again. Why? Because you can build a beautiful shaped nail with it and it stays exactly the same shape after it has been cured. I barely had to file them.

My trick ... I place my builder bead down the centre of the nail from eponychium to free edge (like a worm). I then just tease a small amount of product from this central reservation to each side, down the whole length, which leaves a 'spine' of thicker product in the centre of the nail. This gives a beautiful shape as well as great strength.
I will definetly try that , and get some one to one as i dred doing them these days!:)

Latest posts

Back