My gel toes - what do you think?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cro-mari

Reaction score
Sorry, I tried to put this on the Nail critique but I messed something up... since I'm new I put this in my album.

So please have a look and say what you think.

Thank you all :hug:

http://www.salongeek.com/album.php?albumid=537

why didnt you use forms? to save seperating from skin? product shouldnt touch the skin

I know, but my forms are too narrow for big toes and too wide for the rest of the toes. I tried fitting the form, but couldnt... and as I said, I've seen it done this way. So I just tried.

Ah right, im probably not the best person to give advice on nails as i haven't qualified yet. Well done for trying though :)

As far as I am aware, and according to my very qualified tutor!, its OK to extend onto the skin because the product wont stick to it.
She taught me this technique when sculpting a nail split down one side and I was unable to fit a form as usual.

I think they look great! Definite improvement lol! French is my fav on toes.

hth
Amy

Yup i also extend onto the skin for toes and badly bitten stumps on fingers!

Sometimes it's the only thing to do!

Gels eh gotta love em!

xxx

Hi

Extending the nail without using a form, straight onto the skin can cause a sensitivity to "acrylic" products.... im sure if this is the only time you have done it ,you should be fine but if you carry on doing it over a period of time you will make yourself allergic to the products !! Which means you wont be able to wear enhancements.I have always been taught that product should never touch the skin !
Im sure there is a tutorial or something on this site about extending a nail without forms but im sure you should put oil on the skin first to act as a barrier ,
I will see if i can find it and post a link ...

Another option is you can always tailor your sculpting forms to fit the nail your extending next time you have ago.

Hope this helps and they do look very nice for your first try :)

Hazel

thanks, ladies...
yes, I use forms and as for my client's toes, I tip them if nails are too short or something, or just paint french on them. But this was something I never tried before and only toes I had we're mine :lol:

Hi

Extending the nail without using a form, straight onto the skin can cause a sensitivity to "acrylic" products.... im sure if this is the only time you have done it ,you should be fine but if you carry on doing it over a period of time you will make yourself allergic to the products !! Which means you wont be able to wear enhancements.I have always been taught that product should never touch the skin !
Im sure there is a tutorial or something on this site about extending a nail without forms but im sure you should put oil on the skin first to act as a barrier ,
I will see if i can find it and post a link ...

Another option is you can always tailor your sculpting forms to fit the nail your extending next time you have ago.

Hope this helps and they do look very nice for your first try :)

Hazel
The reason acrylic shouldn't touch the skin is because it causes lifting.
Monomer coming into contact with the skin can cause an allergic reaction
Now we have those two points sorted out:lol:
If you do a search on here for Peter Pan you will find a tutorial on how to sculpt on a nail biter without a form.
Peter Pan is a grand master geek with Creative products and I am quiet sure that if you follow her formula for sculpting without forms you will have no problems at all.
I am not going to go into details of her technique, I want you to go and look:lol: I use her technique, it works and its great. But yes you are right it does involve solar oil.
Thank you for posting cro-mari well done. I would love to give this a go but I stopped being flexible enough to do this sort of work on my self about 10 years ago:green:

As far as i was taught i thought any product coming in to contact with the skin 'could' lead to over exposure.
Looking at glynis's thread Samuel did comment that this would not be a recommened process because of this reason.....although i think it would may be ok for a one off if you needed to do it.
I have not done any gel training so i dont know much about the science of it but would presume that it would be pretty much the same....i dont know but correct me if im wrong.
When using forms on toes i either cut them to fit or stick 2 together with one folded in half.....you could try that and see if it works for you.
I do like the french look on toes ...very nice
xxxxxxx

The reason acrylic shouldn't touch the skin is because it causes lifting.
Monomer coming into contact with the skin can cause an allergic reaction
Now we have those two points sorted out:lol:
If you do a search on here for Peter Pan you will find a tutorial on how to sculpt on a nail biter without a form.
Peter Pan is a grand master geek with Creative products and I am quiet sure that if you follow her formula for sculpting without forms you will have no problems at all.
I am not going to go into details of her technique, I want you to go and look:lol: I use her technique, it works and its great. But yes you are right it does involve solar oil.
Thank you for posting cro-mari well done. I would love to give this a go but I stopped being flexible enough to do this sort of work on my self about 10 years ago:green:

I agree that any "acrylic" product (gel/l&p) coming into contact with the skin can cause lifting but the main reason it shouldnt is because of overexposure and the potential of it causing a sensitivity ! and surely if you was to carry on doing this over and over then you will more than likey become allergic to it !

It is good, that for you ,peter pan's technique works, i use other methods that i am very happy using and have had no problems so far !! and i would rather be safe than sorry knowing im not overexposing myself or my clients.

Not everybody does everything the same way but it does'nt necessarily mean that one way is always right.

As i said in my previous post i think the gel toes do look very nice and was just offering some advice on what i thought in the long run would be a safer way to enhance/extend the nail.

Thank you for your compliments and advice, girls :hug: it's all much appreciated, since it's the first time I was showing my work here. And sure I wouldn't do this to my clients so quickly since I also don't want anyone to get a reaction or something... so thanks for that advice with oil :hug:

Latest posts

Back