My onycholysis is back with a vengeance

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Carly*

Reaction score
I've had it a few times, I have an over active thyroid so I know I'm prone to it. Usually though I notice it just starts creeping and it slowly gets worse. Took off my lacquer yesterday and saw the nail has lifted terribly on my left middle and ring and my right ring fingers!

I've not had it for a good couple of years and now all of a sudden it's really bad on 3 nails?! Something must have set it off recently.

Things I've done differently in the last 2 weeks:
•I've been using lush lemony flutter as someone gifted me a pot.
•I've been wearing nitrile gloves to prevent over exposure and give me a better grip (I only do a few clients a week though, I'm not heavily booked at all).
•I have changed my shape to square. I wonder if the straight across filing on my very strong c curve nails has put pressure on them and caused the lift.

When I've had it previously, the only thing that has fixed it is removing all the lifted nail and to keep on trimming any unattached nail as it grows. At its worse, this literally meant only about a third of the nail bed had nail on it! Obviously I can't have clients seeing my nails like that! It took around a year to completely eradicate the lifting. I also had a disgusting infection on the nail bed underneath one nail and basically had to do diy surgery on (yes I'm aware a dr should have dealt with it). Doctors won't help, I've been in before and was just told to paint them. It's a condition and not a disease, so there's no real way to treat it.

I'm now scared to file, trim or do anything to those nails. They are just so badly lifted. On one there are pockets along the sides from the free edge, with the nail still attached at the centre as normal from the free edge. On another there is a small pocket in the centre from the edge and on the other nail it's just lifted on one side. I wonder if maybe I should trim them when they are soft after a bath and then gently file an hour later once the moisture has left the nail?

Any ideas? Any advice? It took so long to recover last time that I just want to cry! I can't have clients seeing my awful nails and I'm scared to work if they get infected. Xx

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back