My review on GHD brushes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use all the ceramic Ghd brushes from size 1 to 4, they're amazing! Bristles don't melt, really sturdy and the handles are slightly rubberised so the grip is good! I've also got the natural bristle ones, which I find are amazing on coarse, thick hair if you want it super smooth and straight, but find it impossible to get any bend in the hair. Would also say get a parlux over the ghd air, they are shocking! Don't last long at all, mine smelt like burning after 3 months and then stopped turning on

Chris you're makin me want to get a GHD dryer now lol. Maybe you did squeeze the switches too hard though because theyve never cause me any problems, theyre placed dead conveniently for me.
Keep us updated on the ghd dryer if you end up getting one id be interested to know how it compares to the parlux.

Joe how much was your dryer and where did you get it?

I got the air drying kit off look fantastic I had a discount code too so I got a dryer diffuser brush and 2 clips for £85 it came with a free bag too

The creative wand arrived this morning and have done a full head of curls today. Firstly was really surprised by the root volume this wand gives (curling horizontally). I was able to curl a whole head much faster than normal wand/tongs or using GHD straighteners to make curls. I used a varying pattern and direction of curls, the top ones I clipped up after curling leaving to set in place with clips. The result on top was basically as if the hair had been wet set on rollers. Lots of volume, lift, curl, and was really resistant to being relaxed/pulled out into a soft curls/waves (so much more so than other brands). This bit of kit will be going everywhere with me. Fantastic and highly recommended to those interested. The brushes... on order.

The creative wand arrived this morning and have done a full head of curls today. Firstly was really surprised by the root volume this wand gives (curling horizontally). I was able to curl a whole head much faster than normal wand/tongs or using GHD straighteners to make curls. I used a varying pattern and direction of curls, the top ones I clipped up after curling leaving to set in place with clips. The result on top was basically as if the hair had been wet set on rollers. Lots of volume, lift, curl, and was really resistant to being relaxed/pulled out into a soft curls/waves (so much more so than other brands). This bit of kit will be going everywhere with me. Fantastic and highly recommended to those interested. The brushes... on order.

That sounds gorgeous, I really want one. Try get a pic for us if you use them again anytime soon.
Can't wait for you to use the brushes, which ones have you got? Here's where you hate them haha. I doubt you could though.

That sounds gorgeous, I really want one. Try get a pic for us if you use them again anytime soon.
Can't wait for you to use the brushes, which ones have you got? Here's where you hate them haha. I doubt you could though.

Have used the brushes and wand today :-

Brushes - I got the ceramic barrel ones for curly blow outs. I still prefer natural bristles but as someone said hard to put a bend in the hair I went for the ceramic ones. The grip - I was twiddling a fair bit and didn't find the grip very comfortable. But they do give a nice bend in the hair and are not as bad as others for getting caught in the hair (I am a master at that!). They do look nice and professional though. Alan which ones do you have - you never said?

Took a few pics after colouring my clients hair today and here's the curls. Ones underneath were left out. Top ones pinned up then all brushed out with paddle brush (hard as she only wanted soft look) Very strong curls to break up. The wand is fantastic.

Dryer - Have bailed on GHD dryer after mixed reviews. Have ordered a Babyliss Pro Italia Brava and will keep my Parlux as a back up.
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1441383306.943246.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1441383337.874704.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1441383364.712451.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Have used the brushes and wand today :-

Brushes - I got the ceramic barrel ones for curly blow outs. I still prefer natural bristles but as someone said hard to put a bend in the hair I went for the ceramic ones. The grip - I was twiddling a fair bit and didn't find the grip very comfortable. But they do give a nice bend in the hair and are not as bad as others for getting caught in the hair (I am a master at that!). They do look nice and professional though. Alan which ones do you have - you never said?

Took a few pics after colouring my clients hair today and here's the curls. Ones underneath were left out. Top ones pinned up then all brushed out with paddle brush (hard as she only wanted soft look) Very strong curls to break up. The wand is fantastic.

Dryer - Have bailed on GHD dryer after mixed reviews. Have ordered a Babyliss Pro Italia Brava and will keep my Parlux as a back up.
View attachment 190355View attachment 190356View attachment 190357

Is that all the same client? That end result is gorgeous. Not overly done, just nice and elegant.
Just keep working with the ghd's, tbh from the moment I used my first one I loved it, but maybe they'll grow on you.

I have all the ghd brushes barr the boar bristle size 2 which I need to purchase.
Let me know how the babyliss dryer goes too, i've just stuck with Parlux cause that's what we used in college and they said it was the best.

Is that all the same client? That end result is gorgeous. Not overly done, just nice and elegant.
Just keep working with the ghd's, tbh from the moment I used my first one I loved it, but maybe they'll grow on you.

I have all the ghd brushes barr the boar bristle size 2 which I need to purchase.
Let me know how the babyliss dryer goes too, i've just stuck with Parlux cause that's what we used in college and they said it was the best.

Yes all same client. Had to really work to break up the top clipped up curls. For a soft look just quick curl and drop is enough (I'm sure you would love it).

Can you tell me what the boar bristle brushes barrel is made of? Is that ceramic as well ? - doesn't say on GHD website.

Got a great deal on the dryer offline compared to wholesale so worth shopping about. Will keep you posted when it arrives. We should have a "tools/kit thread" always worth knowing what others find good.

Yes all same client. Had to really work to break up the top clipped up curls. For a soft look just quick curl and drop is enough (I'm sure you would love it).

Can you tell me what the boar bristle brushes barrel is made of? Is that ceramic as well ? - doesn't say on GHD website.

Got a great deal on the dryer offline compared to wholesale so worth shopping about. Will keep you posted when it arrives. We should have a "tools/kit thread" always worth knowing what others find good.
Ive just bought a phillips monster boar brush 5 inch from Amazon USA its amzing for root lift and getting the hair smooth and strainght, im considering getting the smaller ones to,as I hate my head jog ones! My clients complain they hurt no matter how careful I am, Im finding its slowing my time.

Ive just bought a phillips monster boar brush 5 inch from Amazon USA its amzing for root lift and getting the hair smooth and strainght, im considering getting the smaller ones to,as I hate my head jog ones! My clients complain they hurt no matter how careful I am, Im finding its slowing my time.

What are they like for curly blow outs? Can they put a nice curl in the hair as well?

Agree re head jog. I haven't used mine on a client for many years. However the very small ones are still useful when the mother in law comes to stay ;-)

What are they like for curly blow outs? Can they put a nice curl in the hair as well?

Agree re head jog. I haven't used mine on a client for many years. However the very small ones are still useful when the mother in law comes to stay ;-)
Haha ive only used the 5 inch one it is huge but I love the way it grips the hair it almost does it itself, I did have a play on my daughter and managed to do the ribbon effect,but really this one I bought for clients with bobs, and who want volume but straight it fabulous for that, funny enough Ive just been researching all the different brands, and well after hours of that I think im going to order the smaller ones,ill let you know,I hope I get a curl or its more money ive wasted! Ps its really funny when you pull out the 5 inch brush clients faces:D

So appreciate this thread!!!! I bought the ghd brushes about a month ago and I'm so in love!!! I do so many bouncy blowdries all week and have made it so much easier and quicker. The curls seem to stay forever!!

I've been differing Between a cloud 9 wand and a ghd one. But now my mind is made up for sure to order the ghd creative ...... Thanks guys xxxx

I defo need to invest in some new tools.

I would say to stay away from Head Jog brushes, they just feel so light and cheap now. And the hair always gets tangled in the handle. I mean sometimes when you've done a blow dry there's literally hair lodged into the handle that needs to be picked out. With the GHDs there's nowhere for the hair to get lodged. I love them. I keep them all their own separate box in my top drawer, they're my pride and joy haha.

Chris I don't know what the barrel is made of, is it carbon fibre? It feels solid and sturdy though. Even the way look, theyre just pure class.

I bought some a couple of weeks ago, tbh I bought them all, along with the detangling comb and backcombing brush. Thank you Very.com lol. BNPNY.

I used Head Jog brushes for years because I thought they were used by professionals. Then I started watching loads of Youtube vids and come across the GHD brushes.

They're like night and day... The grip and tension on the hair is perfect, the long handle makes it easier for you to really get into the hair, the way the handle is made makes it very hard for hair to get caught like on a lot of other brushes.

I'm sure LOADS of threads have been made on the subject, but it doesn't hurt to have another one so that people wondering what tools to buy are left with a few options.

They look so stylish aswell, they're QUITE heavy which makes them feel sturdy. God I just love them.

Total agree the GHD brushes are amazing I can't use anything else now , I am building my collection :)

The dryer arrived and I like it a lot, I think its the newer version of the one Cam mentioned. Comfortable and powerful (2400w with a ferrari designed motor), I think it is a little bit quieter than Parlux but its a different sound/noise (which I prefer), also feels lighter. This is a decent review on youtube
Its on sale atm, so cheaper than the wholesalers http://www.feelunique.com/p/BaByliss-Pro-ItaliaBRAVA-Hair-Dryer-Black

How exciting does a 'ferrari made motor' sound? It's making me want one but I don't know if I like the look of it.
How are you finding it now you've had it for a few days? Are you from the UK?

How exciting does a 'ferrari made motor' sound? It's making me want one but I don't know if I like the look of it.

I wouldn't say a Ferrari motor on a hairdryer is that exciting but I do prefer it to Parlux. After using it for a few days it's way more comfortable and had definitely speeded up my drying time.

I think the look of it is fine in black, will attach a pic at bottom of this post. Comes with a wide nozzle and a silencer to make it quieter. I think the real test is how long a dryer lasts, but it's a decent bit of kit. I was a bit skeptical buying a Babyliss product as the pro curl and their tongs are useless.

Yes I'm from UK (London) but did work over seas in Sydney for a couple of years.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1441889967.669401.jpg

Kinell you wasn't that excited when i told you![emoji23]

I wouldn't say a Ferrari motor on a hairdryer is that exciting but I do prefer it to Parlux. After using it for a few days it's way more comfortable and had definitely speeded up my drying time.

I think the look of it is fine in black, will attach a pic at bottom of this post. Comes with a wide nozzle and a silencer to make it quieter. I think the real test is how long a dryer lasts, but it's a decent bit of kit. I was a bit skeptical buying a Babyliss product as the pro curl and their tongs are useless.

Yes I'm from UK (London) but did work over seas in Sydney for a couple of years.

View attachment 190493

I just think they're a lot more powerful than parlux.

Has the new one still got the hot and cold blast button?

I just think they're a lot more powerful than parlux.

Has the new one still got the hot and cold blast button?

Yeah, still got cold button on handle and turbo at the back. Only found the turbo the other day by accident! Do you even use that? It's so damn powerful anyway!

Kinell you wasn't that excited when i told you![emoji23]

Haha did you say it had a ferrari motor? So the one you've got has got a Ferrari motor? Or did you tell me about the newer one at some point? How can you not get excited about a ferrari motor? That's just pure class.

Chris that is a lovely hair dryer, looks so much better in black.
Suddenly the Parlux doesn't seem that special anymore lol.

I think i've just always used a Parlux because they've got such a good reputation as far as hairdryers go.

Latest posts

Back